Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Center Cluster Mood Lighting

Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbad323
Great Job....but what about the wiring? How did you hook it up?
Step #5. Just twisted both LED light wires together, then power spliced into the Orange wire and Grounds to Black (Step #5). Thanks and I can't say it enough it looks really good and no aftermarket look pure OEM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by harkleroadster
" My wife really tolerates that fact that I am a Modaholic"

I am supposed to be looking for a support group for that same affliction
This is funny. My wife is working Midnight and just got up and of course asked what I did. My answer, "You know just doing Mods to your Jeep". Rear Grab handles today. Again OEM look with the stock ones provided by jeep but moded them to the sound bar bolts. Looks like maybe Jeep should pick up on this and install them there themselves and it would cost them less packaging and instructions. What am I saying then what mods would we be doing.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I like my red. I wish I could have gotten them in gree to match the rest of the dash, but oh well.
Digging the washer idea. I may have to take mine apart to raise them a little for this.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Confirm the Wiring

Can you confirm your wiring for a novice? Are the jeep wires easily visible with the face plate pulled out? Are you splicing into the wire or pulling it from another connection? Any additional detail would be appreciated.

5. Wired the light to the window switch stack. The thinner orange with grey strip is the one that turns on the lighting to the upper swithes (green dot) when you select the parking lights. And of course grounded to the black with white strip.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Can you confirm your wiring for a novice? Are the jeep wires easily visible with the face plate pulled out? Are you splicing into the wire or pulling it from another connection? Any additional detail would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dgandrud
Not sure how much detail is needed but lets take it the extreme.

1. Wire the lights together. Take the black wires and twist them together at the end leaving a nice amount to work with.

2. Repeat #1 with Black/White wires.

3. Splice into the power source you will be using. Some people use clamp connectors to do this but never liked those. You can just cut the wire, strip the ends and add the black/white of the LED's and twist all together. Solder and electrical tape it back up.
What I do is on the power source wire I cut only the shield/plastic and pull it back in each direction. This leaves the wire uncut but now exposes it. Then I take a sharp pointer and split the wires and make a hole so to speak and then insert the wires connenting (LED's) into it and twist them around the bare wires. Then solder and electrical tape. I just find it makes a better 100% connection and really looks stock.

4. Repeat #4 for black ground wires to the Black ground source you are using.

Note. You want to use a power source that is off and only turns one with the parking lights. allowing the lights to function with the other dash lights. This can be tested with a test light. And yes all wires are 100% easy money when you take the front panel off. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

Did my "mood lighting" today, I added a switch so that I can turn it off whenever I wanted, I don't know how often I will be shutting it off cause it looks pretty damn cool if you ask me.. I did the green to attempt to match the existing dash colors...
Pics do not do it justice, only regret was choosing the blue led switch, it is way to bright, I am going to try and dim it down with some nail polish or something tomorrow...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Nice job my friend. looks good and where did you get the green leds. Are they much brighter than the rest. That is why I added the tap and it now matches te intensity level of the other lights. Looks great though and yes pics do not do the mod justice taht is for sure. Enjoy.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

Same maker as the blue & red...
I picked mine up at Auto Zone... 9 led strip in both foot wells, and 2 single led bulbs in the center console....
Thanks for the write up, you inspired me! all the way down to the stacked washers to keep them high up inside the console

Last edited by Anglah; 01-16-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

No worries it looks great. Just a thought if you missed it in the post. If you feel the green LED's are much brighter than the stock lighting you could add a little piece of green ecelrical tape over the holes and it dims it to the exact OEM light setting. Added yellow tape to the blue LEDs on the wifes and it looks stock Green now.

Last edited by J.Ro; 01-17-2009 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Center Cluster Mood Lighting