Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Cibie Euro-code headlamp install

Old 01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cibie Euro-code headlamp install

I finished this project today The lights are dramatically brighter, and with better beam pattern than the stock lamps. In fact, they are better than the HID lights on my E55.

I ordered the Cibie lights from Daniel Stern, as well as all of the relays, bulbs, and connectors.

The lights also have the "city light", which make the lamp glow without providing illumination projected to the road. The most difficult part (for me) was building the wiring harness. The harness with relays enables the power to flow directly from the battery to the lights thru 12ga wire.

1. After you receive the lights and relays from Daniel, you will need 12 ga stranded wire, a wire cutter/crimper tool, a #15 torx bit, 4 female connectors, electrical tape, and split loom for the harness.

2. Removing the grill is easy. Unscrew the push in connectors from the top of the grill, ease it slightly forward and tap lightly until the grill pops out. Pull outward on the red tab connectors for the turn signals, and remove the grill completely.

3. Use the #15 torx to undo the four (per lamp) screws on the light retainer ring. You DO NOT need new retainer rings. I bought some for an '06 TJ and the screw pattern is different, and will not work on the JK. Disconnect the lamp, and remove.

4. Build and install the harness as per the instructions on Daniel Stern's website. If you wish to hook up the "city lights", tap the power from the turn signal/parking lamp wire in the middle. They are marked: Major, Minor, Ground. Major is the turn signal, minor the parking lamp, and you know what the ground is for.

5. If you wish to make your side marker lamps flash with the turn signals, now would be a good time to wire them. Again use the instructions on Daniel's website.

6. After all wires are connected, install the new lamps using the original retaining rings. Connect the ground from the relay harness to the battery neg terminal, and the fused power cables to the battery positive.

7. Align the lights as per Daniel's instructions. I found the Cibie lamps aimed much higher using the original factory settings, and had to be lowered.

I used the 70/65 watt bulbs Dan recommended. At first I thought I should have 100 watt bulbs, but found Dan was absolutely correct in his selection. These things are retina roasters!

I have photos of the project, but need someone to post them for me. PM me with your email, and they are ready to be sent.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-31-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpaddict
you know what the ground is for.
The ground is there to catch me when I'm too drunk to stand.

Thanks for the write-up, I really need to do this. The stock lights just aren't cutting it. Sometimes I find myself reaching down to check the knob to see if they are even on!

-E
Old 01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

i need to do this too. too bad i just dont get electrical. when i have time, maybe...
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

If you don't mind me asking, but what did this whole setup cost? If I didn't have the fog lights I don't know what I would do, the headlights are terrible.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

The lights are $62 each, and the relay kit was $42 (I think).

It is hard to explain how superior these lights are compared to the stock ones.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome pics, do you have better pics of the wiring harness?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, no additional pictures of the harness. The harness was not complete in the photo. I will try to take some of the beam pattern on a wall.

The unique thing about the beam pattern is you can stare directly at the light as long as you are above the cutoff. Move two inches lower and your retinas are toast.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

How long do you figure it took you to do the install? And how difficult would you consider this mod?

Just curious if this would be a couple hour job or an all weekend job.

Bryan
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The install looks pretty simple, all in all, save the harness. I tend to think that I'm proficient with wiring, etc, but the diagram on DS website is moderately confusing and the one pic we have scares the crap out of me.

I most certainly will be doing the install, so I think I'll start the harness now so I can take my time and get it right. I'm the kinda guy that gets excited and has no patience.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I am electrically challenged, so it took me awhile to build the harness. If I was to do this job all over again, I think it could be done in about 3 hours.

The main thing is to follow the intructions exactly from Daniel's website. Also have all of the wire, connectors, and tools ready to go.

This mod is worth it.

Quick Reply: Cibie Euro-code headlamp install