Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Drilled the side view mirrors!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hot damn!!! thats what those little white spots are from??? i thought i was just smoking too much and the ash was gettin stuck to my jeep!... i didnt understand why it would right under the mirror though! thanks!
07JKX That must be some good smoke you've got there.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilled mine today! SUPER EASY!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to say I'm thouroughly impressed.

I got my JK on 1/9; only have washed it 2x! Actually it wasn't me, it was my Dad because he couldn't stand it so dirty from mudding and wheeling! School and work (an 8 day week...yes, 8 in total if you can figure that one out) impedes on washing vehicles and doing things for myself.

BUT, in rain and after the 2 washes I would have that thin scum line all the way down to the rocker panel. THANK GOD for this thread!

Not to beat the pissing race horse to death, but this HAS TO BE the best mod out there all things considered; anyone can do it, it's easy, it's appealing, and it's completely functional.

GOOD WORK!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

I guess I am a little late on the drilling. I had not noticed and water marks but then agian your jeep has to be clean to notice that. I was concentration too much on other things like removing tops, doors, installing safari tops, dodging rainstorms, and getting a new buisness off the ground. As soon as I can get the wife to steady the door so I can work on it (It's off the jeep and stored) I will pull both mirrors and drill them. I am not doing it for looks but rather to make the jeep last. I have already found out the paint is not as hard to scratch (and that means it does not protect well) as it needs to be.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just did mine, my jeep is 7 months old, what water she was harbouring.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having trouble finding ear rings with posts big enough to fit the holes.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Looks like it worked...

Finally got to take my JK for a wash tonight... actually two washes... My local car wash broke down mid-way through and I ended up trapped for 'bout 15 mins the 1st time. Didn't get a complete wash, so they told me to go through again.... Grrr.... More on that later, but I did end up with a little leak in my Freedom Top... uhh... that's another thread, so don't wanna get off-track.

2nd time through and still no drip from the mirrors. I drilled 2 small holes ('bout 1/16") in each, one in the flat part of the base and one in the chamfered part just below the 1st. Don't know yet if both holes make a difference... Doubt it tho'

Saw Rubimon's post w/ pics showing the location, which is where I drilled 1st. Didn't see any improvement, but only because I didn't run though a car wash until now.

Then drilled lower, perpendicular to the chamfered/leading edge of the mirror base. Don't know if this has any benefit yet over Rubimon's version. The only reason I put 2 holes in mine was to be consistent on both sides, now that I've committed to drilling on my JK.

Can't wait to tomorrow to see the result...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a gasket behind the chamfered edge so that hole may not do too much. Pore some water in your mirror to see what they do.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
There is a gasket behind the chamfered edge so that hole may not do too much. Pore some water in your mirror to see what they do.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I did drill through the gasket & mirror base... I think...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks Rubimon!

Just checked my doors this a.m. and no drips from the mirrors. Thanks again for the great idea Rubimon!

Added: Just poured some water in to one of my mirrors... Indeed, most of the water comes out through the upper hole located as Rubimon indicated, with very little coming out of the lower hole I drilled. The last little bit trickles out through the lower hole after it has stopped coming out of the upper one. Overkill? Perhaps... Guess it's up to the individual.

Last edited by '07JK Fan; 05-05-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Drilled the side view mirrors!