Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Drilled the side view mirrors!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really curious if this mod is needed any more. My '08 JK Unlimited X has never had any water dripping down the doors. Not sure if DC has fixed this since the first year, or if I'll just have a bunch of water stream out if/when I do drill the holes.

Can anybody let me know if this is still an issue?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TwtPunk08JK
I'm really curious if this mod is needed any more. My '08 JK Unlimited X has never had any water dripping down the doors. Not sure if DC has fixed this since the first year, or if I'll just have a bunch of water stream out if/when I do drill the holes.

Can anybody let me know if this is still an issue?

Thanks
My '10 dripped. I drilled 'em.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Wings
I will try this next time I wash her up. I am a little nervous that I might have drilled them a little bit too high, I put them right where the flat and curved parts meet.
Washed today, and sure enough I got the stream.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

drilled last night, nothing came out.
Hit with the water hose for "one thousand one...one thousand two...."
and I got the tee-tee stream!
for...."one thousand one...one thousand two...one thousand three....one thousand four!"

I was as happy as a parent with a successful potty training!
now I can get the polishing compound out and try to get the yucky white streaks off my JK
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, is the consensus to drill at the base of the mirror housing or underneath the mirror glass as shown in the video? Does it even matter?

Thanks,

Flash
Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

All drill out here.

45 seconds
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flash1034
So, is the consensus to drill at the base of the mirror housing or underneath the mirror glass as shown in the video? Does it even matter?

Thanks,

Flash
Flash,
I don't see how drilling under the glass will allow the water to drain. Drill the vertical part of the mirror mount about 5/8 inch up from the very bottom of the mount just below the horizontal part. Drill at a slight upward angle so that you don't catch any painted steel or wrap the hidden rubber gasket around the drill bit. When I did mine, I removed the mirrors because I had no idea what was lurking under the plastic, but you don't need to remove the mirror, unless you're unsure, or are afraid your dril will slip off and gouge the paint.

Mark
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79cj7
Flash,
I don't see how drilling under the glass will allow the water to drain. Drill the vertical part of the mirror mount about 5/8 inch up from the very bottom of the mount just below the horizontal part. Drill at a slight upward angle so that you don't catch any painted steel or wrap the hidden rubber gasket around the drill bit. When I did mine, I removed the mirrors because I had no idea what was lurking under the plastic, but you don't need to remove the mirror, unless you're unsure, or are afraid your dril will slip off and gouge the paint.

Mark
I think he is talking about this location under the mirror in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0Cy67R3Qk
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mirror Mod.

My wife always hated the water drips after she washed her JK, I showed her this mod. and she was really interested, But she ask if we could do it in a way that didn't show We took the mirror off and cut a 1/2'' wide slot in the gasket at the bottom. Then we took a triangle shaped wood file and filed a notch in the area that we had cut the gasket at the very bottom of the mirror mount. the notch only is about 1/32" deep. Remounted the mirror, put the hose to it, and watched the water stream out. When you look at it, you would never know this mod was done. Many thanks to the OP for the idea. This mod resulted in a very happy wife.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wmcvey
I think he is talking about this location under the mirror in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0Cy67R3Qk
I didn't think of there....hmmm interesting...I also didn't go that large either lol....
I did mine at the base where curve met flat...

I'm still boggled that with all the testing that goes into vehicles these days...they never noticed drips or stains in pre-production?

Quick Reply: Drilled the side view mirrors!