Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fire Extinguisher Install

Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Install

If this has been covered I missed it while searching.
Scratched my head for a while but came up with the most out of the way but readily available location for my 5BC rated dry chem. unit.
I only use the 'kitchen' type because from what I've been told, the dry chemical used is non-corrosive and easier to cleanup after use. Why worry? See what happens afterwards if you need to use the regular ones!
Don.t have the ability to post pics but I made a reverse template for the bracket bolt pattern from masking tape. Then lowered the seat to the lowest position then held the cylinder against the seat base on the driver's side. Marked where the tape should be and went to her. Three stainless bolt and done.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like a very smart and worthwhile mod... and yet...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Sounds like a very smart and worthwhile mod... and yet...
What's the shipping cost to borrow your digital photo jobbie thing-a ma-bob??
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
What's the shipping cost to borrow your digital photo jobbie thing-a ma-bob??
Up there in the 51st state? Quite a bit-a-ma-bob... how about a little more detailed of a description, then, when you have some free time?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Up there in the 51st state? Quite a bit-a-ma-bob... how about a little more detailed of a description, then, when you have some free time?
Not quite high enough to kiss the fabric of the seatbottom,bolted directly to the seat riser below the adjustable fore to aft slide mech. Far enough forward not to interfere with foot entry.
The dims. of your own extinguisher will determine exact positioning.
Hopefully trial and error without the drilled error holes
Old 03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you mean like this:

I did something similar. Mine is not quite as accessable. I used 3M "Dual Lock". It's like industrial velcro. I'll report back if I have any problems with this fastener.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Woods
I think you mean like this:

I did something similar. Mine is not quite as accessable. I used 3M "Dual Lock". It's like industrial velcro. I'll report back if I have any problems with this fastener.

YUP you got her Woods. The first pic. is the orientation and location I used with an extinguisher about 3" longer I'd guess, which ends up with the bottom being pretty much in line with the slide mech front end.
I bolted through the seat base but if your velcro lets go the thing sure won't fall far.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

i just put my chrome 2.5lb abc multipurpose in the storage compartment not that it would be big enough to put out a blazing jeep fire in the first place but might buy some time till the fire truck arrived
Old 04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I keep a Fire extinguisher in every vehicle, but haven't got one in the Rubi yet. Still trying to find the right extinguisher, with a good strong base that will hold it tight. I also like to go with at LEAST a 2.5 pounder, the smaller 1 pounders won't last long at all in an engine fire. I would hate to almost get a fire out, then have it flare back up because the extinguisher ran out. I like the idea of one under the driver's seat, maybe one there, then a bigger one in the cargo area attached to the driver's roll bar. I just wish I could find a good roll bar mount for a bigger bottle.

California Car Cover Company has one in their catalog, it's a Moon extinguisher, but it's a sharp chrome job with a price tag to match. It'd likely get stolen LONG before you get/have to use it.

Anyone with better ideas or suggestions, I'm eager to hear em'.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
I keep a Fire extinguisher in every vehicle, but haven't got one in the Rubi yet. Still trying to find the right extinguisher, with a good strong base that will hold it tight. I also like to go with at LEAST a 2.5 pounder, the smaller 1 pounders won't last long at all in an engine fire. I would hate to almost get a fire out, then have it flare back up because the extinguisher ran out. I like the idea of one under the driver's seat, maybe one there, then a bigger one in the cargo area attached to the driver's roll bar. I just wish I could find a good roll bar mount for a bigger bottle.

California Car Cover Company has one in their catalog, it's a Moon extinguisher, but it's a sharp chrome job with a price tag to match. It'd likely get stolen LONG before you get/have to use it.

Anyone with better ideas or suggestions, I'm eager to hear em'.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Just an FYI, for what it's worth: I picked up a little extinguiser at Wallymart, and had every intention of mounting it under the seat as shown in this thread... but didn't have the right stuff (no good velcro, bracket that came with Wallymart extinguisher is, suprise!, not really good). What I did was to buy a couple "ball ties" (don't know what they're really called) and used those to affix the extinguiser against the cargo area driver side cage (the pillar that holds the rear drivers' side passenger's seatbelt). The ball ties are like oblong bungee loops with a rubber ball at one end - you buy em small, stretch em around the extinguiser to fit, then loop the bungee end over the ball end to hold it. I know, I should post picks or something. Anyhow, I'm mentioning this because it required no drilling or hardware of any kind, and I've had the extinguiser mounted for awhile now, have gone over some pretty rough terrain, and it hasn't moved a centimeter on the rollbar...

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Install