Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Fuel Tube (Filler Tube) Replacement for Jeep JK

Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fuel Tube (Filler Tube) Replacement for Jeep JK

I have been getting spit back when I fill my Jeep so I took it to the dealership to cash in on the "Lifetime Warranty" replacement for the fill tube. My Jeep originally came from Canada and when the dealership saw that, they denied me coverage because of reasons. It's my understanding that if they were to do warranty work on a Jeep originating from Canada, the Earth would rotate off of it's axis and plummet into the Sun. So I decided I would replace the part myself.

This is an extremely easy repair to do. So easy in fact, I haven't found any write ups on it on the web. But I figured I would do one for the not-so-mechanically inclined DIYer.

Before you begin... your Jeep is most likely covered under the "Lifetime Warranty Extension". This is not the same thing as the Lifetime warranty offered for new Jeep owners. Even if you did not buy the Jeep new, you should be covered unless certain circumstances (like mine) are present. So, check with your dealership first to see if they'll do this for free. Here is the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the repair:
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSB.jpg
Views:	3515
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	655903

Time: Less than 20 minutes.
Cost: Approximately 40 dollars if you buy the parts online.
Difficulty: Very Easy
What you'll need... A pair of wire snips, a stubby Phillips screwdriver, 2 zip-ties, and the new fuel fill tube (part number CNNNX321AC). The TSB calls for 2 "tie straps" part number 06016076 but these are simply zip ties.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3062
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	655892

Place your tools and parts in front of the driver-side rear tire (this will make it easier to grab them).

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2552
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	655893

The part we are replacing sits directly above the rear axle and slightly forward. It runs parallel to the ground and is easiest to access by sliding under the Jeep from the rear bumper. In this picture, you can see the fuel tube, as well as the rear differential. (The fuel tube runs horizontally from the driver side tire to the passenger side tire.)

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2141
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	655894

We need to snip the 2 zip ties holding the main fuel tube to the recovery line. Be careful not to snip the recovery line.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	2178
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	655895

Now we need to loosen the hose clamp that connects the new part to the filler neck. There are 2 clamps that hold the part in. This is the hose clamp on the driver side that needs to be loosened.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	2480
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	655896

Now we need to loosen the hose clamp that connects the new part to the gas tank. This is the hose clamp that connects to the fuel tank and is on the passenger side (relative to the new part). Notice that it is located almost directly above the rear differential.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	2660
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	655897

I chose to remove the fuel tank side first and then slip out the other end that attaches to the filler neck.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	2828
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	655898

Once you get the fill tube off the fuel tank, the other side slips off easily. We are now ready to install the new part! Start by placing the fuel tube in place starting with the driver side (or the side that attaches to the filler neck).

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	3092
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	655899

Next, place the other side of the new fuel tube onto the gas tank. Once they are both in place, rotate it back and forth to ensure the hoses are seated onto the surfaces. Tighten down the hose clamps but be careful to not over-tighten the side of the fuel tank. The fuel tank is not metal and you don't want to crank the tank by over tightening.

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	2274
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	655900

To finish up the install, we need to replace the 2 zip-ties securing the recovery line onto the new part. There's no need to crank these down, just snug them up enough to stop excessive movement on the recovery line.

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	2825
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	655901

And that's it, you're all done. Here is a picture of the old fuel tube.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	3060
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	655902

To ensure this problem never happens again, I suggest selling your Chrysler product and going with something GM made.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
JKJaker (01-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Very easy fix but that doesn't mean GM is the answer. The prices have been going up on those tubes, they used to be $24.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Spillage Still using the GM Part

Originally Posted by XinnKoda
I have been getting spit back when I fill my Jeep so I took it to the dealership to cash in on the "Lifetime Warranty" replacement for the fill tube. My Jeep originally came from Canada and when the dealership saw that, they denied me coverage because of reasons. It's my understanding that if they were to do warranty work on a Jeep originating from Canada, the Earth would rotate off of it's axis and plummet into the Sun. So I decided I would replace the part myself.

This is an extremely easy repair to do. So easy in fact, I haven't found any write ups on it on the web. But I figured I would do one for the not-so-mechanically inclined DIYer.

Before you begin... your Jeep is most likely covered under the "Lifetime Warranty Extension". This is not the same thing as the Lifetime warranty offered for new Jeep owners. Even if you did not buy the Jeep new, you should be covered unless certain circumstances (like mine) are present. So, check with your dealership first to see if they'll do this for free. Here is the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the repair:
Attachment 655903

Time: Less than 20 minutes.
Cost: Approximately 40 dollars if you buy the parts online.
Difficulty: Very Easy
What you'll need... A pair of wire snips, a stubby Phillips screwdriver, 2 zip-ties, and the new fuel fill tube (part number CNNNX321AC). The TSB calls for 2 "tie straps" part number 06016076 but these are simply zip ties.
Attachment 655892

Place your tools and parts in front of the driver-side rear tire (this will make it easier to grab them).
Attachment 655893

The part we are replacing sits directly above the rear axle and slightly forward. It runs parallel to the ground and is easiest to access by sliding under the Jeep from the rear bumper. In this picture, you can see the fuel tube, as well as the rear differential. (The fuel tube runs horizontally from the driver side tire to the passenger side tire.)
Attachment 655894

We need to snip the 2 zip ties holding the main fuel tube to the recovery line. Be careful not to snip the recovery line.
Attachment 655895

Now we need to loosen the hose clamp that connects the new part to the filler neck. There are 2 clamps that hold the part in. This is the hose clamp on the driver side that needs to be loosened.
Attachment 655896

Now we need to loosen the hose clamp that connects the new part to the gas tank. This is the hose clamp that connects to the fuel tank and is on the passenger side (relative to the new part). Notice that it is located almost directly above the rear differential.
Attachment 655897

I chose to remove the fuel tank side first and then slip out the other end that attaches to the filler neck.
Attachment 655898

Once you get the fill tube off the fuel tank, the other side slips off easily. We are now ready to install the new part! Start by placing the fuel tube in place starting with the driver side (or the side that attaches to the filler neck).
Attachment 655899

Next, place the other side of the new fuel tube onto the gas tank. Once they are both in place, rotate it back and forth to ensure the hoses are seated onto the surfaces. Tighten down the hose clamps but be careful to not over-tighten the side of the fuel tank. The fuel tank is not metal and you don't want to crank the tank by over tightening.
Attachment 655900

To finish up the install, we need to replace the 2 zip-ties securing the recovery line onto the new part. There's no need to crank these down, just snug them up enough to stop excessive movement on the recovery line.
Attachment 655901

And that's it, you're all done. Here is a picture of the old fuel tube.
Attachment 655902

To ensure this problem never happens again, I suggest selling your Chrysler product and going with something GM made.

Cheers!
I know this post is for a JK, but my 2007 Wrangler JK has been overflowing for over a year now. Every time i fill up. It only has 84,512 miles on it. So I decided to try the GM part today. No Luck. Still leaks. But I think I see why. On the JK fuel tank where the new GM Tube would fit at the tanks inlet the line is straight (Parallel with the axel but above it of course) instead of angled on the left side like the TJ's setup. I purchased the GM one because the Chrysler replacement was over $300.00. The GM part does work on TJ's, like my 1997 did. Any ideas??

Last edited by 07bender; 01-05-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Which part number is over $300?? I just Google'd the number above (same one I used in my 2010 with spit back issues) and it's currently $32. I don't have any further issues with the spit back/ over flow except when the pump has shut off and I try to cram a few more clicks in it. So really, not an issue with the part but moreso operator error.

tascaparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-tube-fuel-cnnnx321ac
The following users liked this post:
07bender (01-17-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Which part number is over $300?? I just Google'd the number above (same one I used in my 2010 with spit back issues) and it's currently $32. I don't have any further issues with the spit back/ over flow except when the pump has shut off and I try to cram a few more clicks in it. So really, not an issue with the part but moreso operator error.

tascaparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-tube-fuel-cnnnx321ac
This part number CNNNX321AA, Chrysler could not verify, So Dallas Chrysler said they have a part that is the same from what the picture showed, but I was so pissed I forgot to get their part number. TY for this link, I just ordered it.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Yeah, I didn't bother going to the local dealer when I bought mine, just found the best price online and had it shipped. It's crazy that the dealer can't (or won't) order some parts.

Hopefully you'll have the jeep fixed and back on the road in no time flat. Leave a little slack in the vacuum line that goes to the top of the fuel tank otherwise the brittle plastic may break and you'll end up with an evap code.....ask me how I know.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Overflow Fixed!!!

Thank you karls10jk,
I purchased the part from your link: tascaparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-tube-fuel-cnnnx321ac . It took a bit to get here. Installed it last night. After work today I filled up the tank and first time ever, No overflowing. Thank you so much for the help on where to buy the part.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I've had my 2009 Unlimited since April of 2010. I bought it with 7500 miles on it. I have nearly 180K on it now, which means that I have filled up well over 500 times...and each time, I've had to slow down around 15 gallons and listen closely to the sound of fuel coming up the neck to time a perfect release of the pump handle. After this install, I let her rip. I stood by, cautiously optimistic - like, it being the 4th quarter and the Saints are up by 3 touchdowns (Saints fan here). Most likely, they SHOULD hang on...but after all, they are the Saints. And after all, this is a Jeep. When the pump's handle auto-clicked off without any spit-back, I raised my arms in a "V" and fist pumped to the sky. I'm sure the other patrons had questions, but zero F's were given at that moment. At that moment, I have never been more excited about filling up a vehicle in my life.

In all seriousness - based on 1) time it took 2) ease of access 3) cost of part and 4) benefit gained....this is the greatest thing since penicillin. As far as easy Jeep fixes/benefits gained, I'd say this is #1, and flipping the rear view mirror upside-down is #2. Thank you for the step-by-step too...very easy to follow!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaines
I've had my 2009 Unlimited since April of 2010. I bought it with 7500 miles on it. I have nearly 180K on it now, which means that I have filled up well over 500 times...and each time, I've had to slow down around 15 gallons and listen closely to the sound of fuel coming up the neck to time a perfect release of the pump handle. After this install, I let her rip. I stood by, cautiously optimistic - like, it being the 4th quarter and the Saints are up by 3 touchdowns (Saints fan here). Most likely, they SHOULD hang on...but after all, they are the Saints. And after all, this is a Jeep. When the pump's handle auto-clicked off without any spit-back, I raised my arms in a "V" and fist pumped to the sky. I'm sure the other patrons had questions, but zero F's were given at that moment. At that moment, I have never been more excited about filling up a vehicle in my life.

In all seriousness - based on 1) time it took 2) ease of access 3) cost of part and 4) benefit gained....this is the greatest thing since penicillin. As far as easy Jeep fixes/benefits gained, I'd say this is #1, and flipping the rear view mirror upside-down is #2. Thank you for the step-by-step too...very easy to follow!
Man....just be glad you're not a Lions fan like some of us....this whole thing would have likely fell flat on it's face, snatching defeat from the claws of victory in the closing minutes and you would be currently driving around in your JK with a paper bag with 2 eye cut-outs over your head.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Flipping the rearview mirror upside-down? What am I missing here?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tube (Filler Tube) Replacement for Jeep JK