Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)

Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Covert_Ops
off subject... I need one of those stickers... Pease through superior fire power... where can I get one? Please PM me.

TC
Hey... here is where you can get that sticker and many other pro-gun things:
www.lifelibertyetc.com. I put mine on a magnet so I can put it anywhere.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Movies look great! This is probably one of the better performing screens on the market....in the situations I can put this Garmin in. Top off the Jeep and I can still see the screen... even with polarized sun glasses. AZToad... what do you think?
I've had mine for over a year and still tell folks I love it and would buy it again. I use it almost everyday and the folks at Garmin keep coming up with upgrades (free) and ways for me to add things to it (I'm just starting to play with POI and pre defining some of the "extras").

I love it and Garmin supports it very well. I use Garmin avionics also and rely upon them and their company in aircraft also. Just wish I had some of their stock from way back when ...

Hopefully by the end of next month I'll have the back up camera done!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
You don't really see those garage door openers when the nav is in place anyway... but I have been thinking about relocating them.
Someone mentioned hiding in the roll bar below. Here's the thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=garage+door
Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Install Info

Great Install - Just a couple of questions:

1. What did you screw into for the mount? The plastic or the metal? Did you put some kind of nut on the end of the bolt or is it just the bolt?

2. Where did you snake the cig. power adapter wire? Did you use the stock one - is it long enough?

3. Did you plug the audio out into your radio aux input in the front of the radio or use the onboard speakers? Do you get a buzz or hum in the radio if you did it this way?

Thx,

What a great idea, you sold me on this unit immediately. Love that it includes XM radio.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default one more . .

Thought of one more . .

Any link to the back-up camera? and install ideas, power? switch?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Can't speak for GroundRat but can tell you what I did...

Originally Posted by stldrum
1. What did you screw into for the mount? The plastic or the metal? Did you put some kind of nut on the end of the bolt or is it just the bolt?.
I fabricated a metal bracket - and connected via bolts into these type of nuts that I drilled into the metal (this thread had a couple of names www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3809 and they were easy to find at Ace Hardware - rivet nuts or whatever...).

The already scratched up areas are courtesy of my indecision. I literally kept changing brackets and placements and hadn't done any touch up yet - I now have the paint and after wash up this weekend - might even consider some of the touch up paint in several areas!

2. Where did you snake the cig. power adapter wire? Did you use the stock one - is it long enough?.
I might have photos somewhere but I ran mine to the passenger side and then down the front pillar - in behind the glove box - attached to that bar below and I connected mine to the switched 12 v supply (actually have both the switched and unswitched sets of wires run below the glove box as I run it switched most times but can change the tabs if I want to just leave it on). Don't remember but the way I ran the wires I don't believe the OEM would have made it.

3. Did you plug the audio out into your radio aux input in the front of the radio or use the onboard speakers? Do you get a buzz or hum in the radio if you did it this way?.
I tried the FM transmitter - which works - but prefer the aux connector. No buzz or hum.

And there are even more toys not mentioned!

As for the backup camera - I pretty much have it planned - for now at least - that I am going to place the camera in - or just above - the rear bumper. There is an AV input and the unit actually has a setup feature that asks if the video is for a backup camera. I believe that whenever it perceives power is on - the video will over ride what ever is on the screen - can't tell you that is the case but will report once completed. I plan on two separate power connections there. First via the backup lights, second via a switch mounted up front so I can power it when desired. After some other comments - we are seriously considering another in the front too with an additional feed for video recoding of trails and specific areas.

BTW - what do you play? My wife and eldest daughter play leads, I've played bass and eldest son plays double seconds!

Last edited by AZToad; 08-03-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Great info there, Toad. What I did was drill two pilot holes through the plastic and into the metal of the window frame and used self tapping machine screws and went right through the plastic into the metal. I ran the wires across the top through the plastic molding and right down the A pillar on the passenger's side. The cradles are only like 12 bucks, so I just docked the cig adapter and hard wired it in. A few months ago I anticipated wanting to add more electronics so I added a small power distribution bar under my glove box. Here is the write up for that: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/quick-easy-power-distribution-project-6197/. Instead of building your own, there are several after market folks who make them for you... some more elaborate that mine. Someone posted up some links about that here.

I bought another Suction Cup mount... which is exactly what I used in the jeep, minus the suction cup, and I bought another cradle... that way I can put this unit in my Boat, Suburban, Company Vehicle... whatever... you get the idea. I have not utilized my audio out jack on this unit yet, but I have used the FM modulator which actually sounds great... much better than the one on my external Sirius unit I use in my company vehicle. Very strong transmitter with very little static.

Now... Video. There is only one AV input on this unit. But that does not mean that you can only input one thing. I bought an auto sensing AV switch to tuck away under the glove box. What this will allow me to do is plug in my back up camera, my mobile camera (I will explain in a sec), my video out of the factory 6 disc DVD head unit, and anything else I want to plug in (5 inputs total). To make this work like I want, without the AV switcher showing, then I have to set it up on by priority (hence the auto sensing). I set the DVD input at the lowest priority. I then set up the back-up camera at the next highest one... and then the mobile one even higher. Then, by default it will go to the DVD input... but as soon as I apply power to the back up camera, it will then take priority and will show up on the screen... when I turn off the power.. it goes back to the DVD. The mobile camera idea is this... I have an extra camera and I was thinking about putting it on a magnetic base so I can place it wherever I want on the jeep depending on the situation. Want to make sure that tire gets up on that obstacle? Why not get a better view... from the comfort of your driver's seat?? Anyway, not something that is absoultely needed... but what the heck.

I misplaced my audio cable when I originally did the install, but have found it again. I will be installing that this weekend probably... but really don't forsee using it much unless I bite the bullet and buy the $200 antenna for XM. I mean I can play MP3's and all that... but I can do a crap load more on DVD, even on one of the 6 discs.

This unit has so many features that I cannot even really begin to describe them here to you. I think you get alot more bang for you buck with this unit. The combination of the factory 6 disc DVD and the 7200 does everything the mygig does and more... plus it is not confined to the Jeep, and it's half the price! No brainer in my opinion. Good luck if you decide to get this unit... I know you will love it. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have any. I'll do my best to help.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks AZ Toad and Groundrat:

Lots of great info. I am definitely buying this unit, but want to get the XM antenna to get rid of my Roady XT. One less gadget cluttering up the inside. Just wondered where you get the back-up cam and about how much it costs?

Once I start the install if I have any questions I'll post them.

Thanks again for the info!!

AZToad: I play Tenor mainly but I have an extended Tenor, Double Seconds, Cellos and a recently purchased midiPan. My wife and I have a band in WI. Check out my pancast: www.paninharmony.com
Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

hey guys how are you powering it .....i just got mine in today and want to do a set-up like this......it doesn't seem that the cig power adapter is long enough to run all the way down there....thanks for your help
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rinkrat13
hey guys how are you powering it .....i just got mine in today and want to do a set-up like this......it doesn't seem that the cig power adapter is long enough to run all the way down there....thanks for your help
Yeah... I just docked off the cig adapter and hard wired it in with some wire. I think I linked you to my power distro write up a couple of posts ago. Great to hear you got one! I love mine. I have 0 complaints so far.

Guys, I also finished up my AV auto sensing selector project so I can have multiple AV inputs to the Garmin. I will do a write up on it as soon as I finish installing my back-up camera and the switches.

Quick Reply: Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)