Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)

Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GroundRat, what AV selector did you use?
I'm looking at a few different ones right now.
I only have 2 video signals right now but i want a 4 switch one for future projects.
I've seen some but not much info is written on them - i dont know if they are auto priority switching or if they just have the basic manual switch.

-mike
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
Is there a separate antenna for the GPS/XM? If so, where did you mount it?
Maybe GroundRat and I have different units but for XM my unit did require an additional antenna. The antenna is essentially the receiver and contains the "radio id" that you provide to XM folks for your subscription.

The GPS is built in to the unit itself but for any of the XM options/subscriptions, mine required an additional unit. I got the GXM 30 and have two options for mounting depending on whether the hard top is on or off (and essentially 2 for the soft top too).

First is the bracket that I built just behind the unit. Unfortunately sometimes the reception is blocked sometimes there so I also placed a small velcro patch (it is magnetic to begin with) in the section above the driver's head to the left on front of the screw knob. That seems to work great.

Good luck...

Last edited by AZToad; 09-11-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZToad
Maybe GroundRat and I have different units but for XM my unit did require an additional antenna. The antenna is essentially the receiver and contains the "radio id" that you provide to XM folks for your subscription... {snip}
Yeah man... sorry about that. I overlooked the XM part of the question. Toad is right on all counts... except we do have the exact same unit.

Originally Posted by [N]UGE
GroundRat, what AV selector did you use? {snip}
I used this one from Radio Shack because it was quick, easy, and cheap. Seems to have worked great so far. The key is the auto sensing capability. That is a must have to work in the scenario we need it to work in. It also takes 12V DC to run it... so snip off the converter and hard wire her in! Or you can match the input connector like I did and wire it in that way.

RadioShack

It fits perfectly in the cubby under the glovebox if you pull off the swivel mount it comes with (really easy).

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 09-12-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat

[COLOR="YellowGreen"][B]I used this one from Radio Shack because it was quick, easy, and cheap.

RadioShack
It has two video outs... does that mean I can run a DVD video feed to a rear monitor and a backup camera to my front monitor at the same time? Or any combination of video feeds?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hey!

Just curious. I bought the Lowrance I way 600. Didn't you think of mounting it above the radio on that big flat part!!! To be honest your set-up just looks bunched up and junky. Sorry just being honest. I put my GPS where the Garmin aftermarket GPS goes. Used RAM mount and looks proffessional as well factory!! Nice jeep though! Thanks for the info on the unit and good write up!

-Pikejd
Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sQuid
It has two video outs... does that mean I can run a DVD video feed to a rear monitor and a backup camera to my front monitor at the same time? Or any combination of video feeds?
It has 5 inputs... that means you can input 5 different signals and select them to output. It does not matter how many outputs it has... you only have one input to the Garmin. But if for some reason you need more than one output, you can always split the signal (but it drops at least 3db of signal for every split).

Originally Posted by pikejd
Just curious. I bought the Lowrance I way 600. Didn't you think of mounting it above the radio on that big flat part!!! To be honest your set-up just looks bunched up and junky. Sorry just being honest. I put my GPS where the Garmin aftermarket GPS goes. Used RAM mount and looks proffessional as well factory!! Nice jeep though! Thanks for the info on the unit and good write up!

-Pikejd
I did consider that location and many others before installing my unit. I even thought about making it flip up right there... but monitor just takes up too much windshield space that way. I absolutely love it where it is at now... to me it is in the perfect spot.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
It has 5 inputs... that means you can input 5 different signals and select them to output. It does not matter how many outputs it has... you only have one input to the Garmin. But if for some reason you need more than one output, you can always split the signal (but it drops at least 3db of signal for every split).
Yeah but if I have two monitors, they make it sound like I can output one signal to one monitor and a different signal to the other... that would be sweet (for such an inexpensive unit)

And I like that location -- I'm waiting for my RAM mount to come in but once I install, I'll post some pics.

Last edited by sQuid; 09-13-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where are you guys getting your rearview/backup cams at? The ones on ebay all seem to be from hong kong and I don't trust that.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sQuid
Where are you guys getting your rearview/backup cams at? The ones on ebay all seem to be from hong kong and I don't trust that.
My back up camera is from HK and works great
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DBB888
My back up camera is from HK and works great
no issues? did it take a long time to ship?

Quick Reply: Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)