Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hard Top removal - ALONE!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I built one of these a couple of months ago. I was very surprised at how easy it is to get the top off and on with this rack. Thanks Sgt P for posting the write up.

Last edited by bkoliba; 06-25-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
On a note to make it easier on the jeep. I took towels and stick them under the top so that it can slide on the body and the alinment peg wont damage the pant. Makes sliding 10 times easier.
Great idea!

Although, I kinda harkin back to the scene from "Slapshot" (1977-Paul Newman), when the busdriver is hammering the side of the bus with a sledgehammer, and when asked why, he says, "...cause it makes it look mean!", and goes back to hammering.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bkoliba
I built one of these a couple of months ago. I was very surprised at how easy it is to get the top off and on with this rack. Thanks Sgt P for posting the write up.

Nice table. Man, that looks familiar!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks to your ideas...

This forum/ site is awesome. sharing information techniques, helps us all.
i made my own one person hardtop removal thingamajig.

My neighborhood had a spring cleaning... i found this bed frame and a exercise gym equipment.

i cut and welded it together, bought 2 pieces of wood, and wala, made my hardtop table.

I backaup the jeep, like i normally do, unscrew and slide the hardtop backwards. The jeep and hardtop fits in the garage coincidentally.

this whole deal only cost me the 2 pieces of cheap wood!
thanks again,
jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV10870.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	26243   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV10872.jpg
Views:	1533
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	26244  
Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Ideas

This is a great thread that really got me thinking. The "MODS" I would add are to make the rig an inch higher so that you could leverage the top off the Jeep quicker and intergrate storage underneath to hold the removed doors.

BTW thanks for your service and God Bless America!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

pretty clever idea. what i do is hoist the hardtop up to the top of the garage, i made some 550 cord harnesses and pull it up.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

This is the idea I needed / was looking for!! Thanks to the OP for this post.

Two questions though. How safe do you all feel with the top not falling off for those of you who leave it outside exposed to wind and such. Also what are you guys using to keep the back window closed?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool two answers (IMHO)

Originally Posted by middleurb
This is the idea I needed / was looking for!! Thanks to the OP for this post.

Two questions though. How safe do you all feel with the top not falling off for those of you who leave it outside exposed to wind and such. Also what are you guys using to keep the back window closed?
Safe from falling:
I've had it on the driveway and in the backyard (on the ground) for extended periods. Wind and rain were no problems. But I did have to spend time cleaning the rubber seal where some tree leaves, etc had decided to live...
Do remember that I was accused of "overbuilding" the stand, so maybe that helps!

Back Window:
I keep the back window down, the piston's seem to not like it when they are left "stretched out". It's as if they "dry out", and get a little difficult to close.
My window stays down by itself, and I've not had any issues with it blowing open, etc.

I hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Ive always been worried about the hoist. no peace of mind when i leave the garage.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks a whole lot easier than the way I've done it. I climb in the back of the Jeep and lift slightly, then place a towel under the top to avoid scratches.
I walk the top back to where it is about at the balancing point. Climb out and close the tail gate, then lift and walk it the rest of the way off the Jeep, then basically do a squat and crawl out from under it after its on the ground. Getting it back up is the hard part. standing up from all fours with the top balanced on your head kinda sucks. Ahh the sacrafices we make to drive with the top off.

Quick Reply: Hard Top removal - ALONE!