Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Holes in the Air Box?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/Thread jack/

Incredible pix. That was quite the bow wave. What snorkel?

/end Thread jack/
Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey the sound is great, Magnaflow is on the way, ultimately, I want the max gain of what I have for the dollar. If u dont think drilled holes and a K&N arew good for u then fine. Every little bit for those of us on a budget it does. So geyt off the high horses and fewel for those who dont hsave much $$. Damn i drink to much vodka
Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess you could always insert one of those PVC plugs -- the ones that can screw out. Whatever the tech term is for that, Might be worth a shot if this is a mod you weren't sure you would like or not?

Just a thought
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firedog73
So I was thinking. If I drill 3, inch and a half holes in the side of the air box below the air filter and I am running a K&N filter will I get similar benefits of an Air Raid? Or have I just had too many beers and on the edge of making a BIG Mistake?
Firedog73 i drilled 5 holes in my air box and put in a k&N and it runs better. you should get a little better gas miliage and more power as well. heres some pics.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I had an S-10 one time that I modified the air box on, but I didn't drill holes in it...I cut the entire bottom half of it off! So all I had left was the k&n and the top of the air filter box. Didn't make much difference, but made alot of noise.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

What is the best intake for your money. Is it worth spending 325 for the K &N or is there a cheaper one that is as good.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it matter wich way u put the K&N in fat side up or down? Mine fit better flat side up.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheres The Best Place To Drill The Holes?

It Sounds Like A Good Idea. I Have A K&n Drop In And Flowmaster Exhaust
Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am thinking about doing this, but I have a few questions:

1. If I drill holes in the back, wont that suck warm air in and cancel the CAI idea?

2. If I drill holes in the front or on bottom will I possibly suck water in if/when I drive through deep water, or even through standing water on the roads?

3. How much will the sound change? and besides the cow, what is the best bescription of the "new" engine sounds?

4. Will I need to remove the "horn" from the side of the box for best results?

5. Is there any real MPG/HP benifit to this?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by freeswimmingfish; 10-13-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

You're gonna get mixed viewpoints on this, but I don't think the benefits are worth cutting up your factory air box. As said before, I've done it on other vehicles and noticed no difference whatsoever except a "roaring" noise when accelerating...that's kinda cool. It's like anything else, people are gonna say they noticed a gain of MPG or HP, but mainly because they WANT to notice that. Of course it's gonna feel more powerful-- because you just spent an hour cutting the air box, your're EXPECTING it to make a difference, therefore you "FEEL" a difference. Just like MPG, you're paying more attention to how you drive because your'e wanting to notice a gain in MPG....so maybe you did gain a little, but even if you do is it really worth it? Not to me.....just my $.02, I'm sure everyone will say I'm nuts......

Quick Reply: Holes in the Air Box?