Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homebrew Onboard air system

Old 10-30-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homebrew Onboard air system

So, I've been wanting a onboard air system for sometime now, but could not bring myself to pay $300+ for one, so I made on myself. Heres what I used

Compressor from Harbour Feight- 150PSI
Smittybilt 2.5 gallon air tank
Viair Pressure switch, 85psi on, 105psi off
50' 3/8 hose
Air Check Valve
assortment of fittings
Daystar rocker switch

All in all, total cost was around 130.

I mounted the air compressor just in front of the battery. I made up a mounting plate of of 3/16 diamond plate, and used the stock battery bolt to bolt it down. Had to rearrange some wires, but nothing serious.

I installed the air tank above the rear axle, and bolted it down through the cargo area with 4 10mm bolts. I plan on getting a bead of weld tacked to it Monday just in case the nuts slack off. On the tank theres a air in/air out, drain, pressure relieve valve (125psi), pressure gauge and pressure switch.

Once all tank and compressor was mounted, I wiring the compressor through a 40 amp relay, and for switches I used the daystar rocker switch in series with the pressure switch. So the daystar acts as a master switch, and once it is turned on, the power the compressor is controlled by the pressure switch.

Next was just a matter of running a few hoses. From the compressor to the tank (all hose run along the frame rails). From the tank to a outlet, which i have inside the cargo area. I ran the hose from the tank, to behind the passenger side tail light, and out through into the cargo area. Also ran a small line into the cargo area for the pressure gauge.

I drew up a quick diagrammatic in CAD for diagram of how I put it all together. I couldn't figure out how to post a PDF, so if you want it, msg me and i'll e-mail it to you.

And thats it.. It was pretty simple to do... took a bit of time, but thats part of the fun... Heres some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00298.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	99212Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00296.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	99213Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00297.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	99214Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00289.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	99216
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Looks really nice, I love these "homebrews" that we all keep coming up with. My only question is, do you have enough room between your diff. and the tank? Looks kind of close from the perspective of the pictures, and if your bump spacing is such you might crush that tank. I'm sure you've taken that into consideration, but I had to mention.

Awesome either way. When I need some air, I'll probably be going a similar route.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at the space issue before i started the install. I took my jeep out and fully flexed it out, both in front and rear, and measured for clearance. BY the measurements i should have no problem with the tank making contact on the diff. It was late this evening when I finished the project and i didn't have time to go and flex out again to do a positive check, but I will tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the clearance and post up.

Originally Posted by WEALLR1
Looks really nice, I love these "homebrews" that we all keep coming up with. My only question is, do you have enough room between your diff. and the tank? Looks kind of close from the perspective of the pictures, and if your bump spacing is such you might crush that tank. I'm sure you've taken that into consideration, but I had to mention.

Awesome either way. When I need some air, I'll probably be going a similar route.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a tank mounted in the same location and kept hearing a thump going over bumps and stuff...i have since removed it and just run a compressor...
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coby Dick
I looked at the space issue before i started the install. I took my jeep out and fully flexed it out, both in front and rear, and measured for clearance. BY the measurements i should have no problem with the tank making contact on the diff. It was late this evening when I finished the project and i didn't have time to go and flex out again to do a positive check, but I will tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the clearance and post up.
so I went out this morning and fully flex out my jeep to check for clearance on the rear end, and when fully stuffed, there is no clearance problems at all.. Still has lots of room between the diff and tank... by the way i'm running a 3.25" Rough Country lift.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

so I went out this morning and fully flex out my jeep to check for clearance on the rear end, and when fully stuffed, there is no clearance problems at all.. Still has lots of room between the diff and tank... by the way i'm running a 3.25" Rough Country lift.
Another test would be to see if it clears when the axle goes up on both ends, as when both springs are compressed.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll check it to tomorrow and let you know
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is awesome. I think a simple skid for the tank might be a good idea too.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

just a follow up. I have flex out my rear axle every way i can think of flexing it, and I have no clearance issues. That being said, I have ever intention on putting in a 1.25" body lift after x-mas. With the tank bolted to the body, that should give me LOTS for the tank.

I have also been thinkin about putting a small skid plate under it, just in case. If i do, i'll post up some pics, and once i figure out the dimensions of the plate, i'll draw is up in CAD for a template.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the price
Do you have a model or part number? I couldn't find one that looked like the one in your picture.

Also have you tired to run any air tools off this setup?

Quick Reply: Homebrew Onboard air system