Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

jeep jk 2015 ring and pinion

Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep jk 2015 ring and pinion

i have a Jeep JK Sahara Auto just installed 4.88 ring and pinion and now my JK is stuck in 3rd gear, what am i missing here?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you geta programmer to change the gear ratio in the computer?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

busy with the programmer now to see if it will sort things out. wanted to know if there is anything else because i know the 2015 Jk's PCM's are locked.will the programmer work?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by francohaskell
busy with the programmer now to see if it will sort things out. wanted to know if there is anything else because i know the 2015 Jk's PCM's are locked.will the programmer work?
As long as your programmer says it will work with a '15. I've used one on my '14, '16 & '18.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

okay awesome thanks a lot guys. will see how things go and let you know, info is greatly appreciated
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Did you regear yourself or have a shop do it? Just curious as a shop should have advised that you'd need to reprogram in order for the jeep to work properly. Seems like from time to time we see this question come up and a shop didn't say anything to the customer about reprogramming, and it blows my mind how that happens (or doesn't happen).

Have you been advised or read up on how to break those gears in?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

well i had it done at a shop that does rebuilds, but they didn't know about it. car is with another workshop where i got the programmer from and they sorted it all out.just got the good news that all is running smoothly. we struggle a bit here in Namibia,Africa with Jeep parts so we take what we can get. thanks for the help and assistance with.
haven't been told how break them in, but i did read that you need to run them for about 500miles and then change the oil, is this correct?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by francohaskell
well i had it done at a shop that does rebuilds, but they didn't know about it. car is with another workshop where i got the programmer from and they sorted it all out.just got the good news that all is running smoothly. we struggle a bit here in Namibia,Africa with Jeep parts so we take what we can get. thanks for the help and assistance with.
haven't been told how break them in, but i did read that you need to run them for about 500miles and then change the oil, is this correct?
Wow, Nambia....I hadn't noticed the location or where "Walvis Bay" was.....that is definitely different part of the world and I can see how parts/labor/info might not be quite the same as here in the states.

In regards to breaking em in, the first few heat cycles on the gears is pretty important. Few short trips at reasonable speeds (no heavy acceleration) are best (15-20 miles @ <50mph).....let the gears heat up, then cool down before another trip ideally. Lotta shops around here don't advise on break in very well, regear, and then send their customers on home on the highways at 70mph+ without saying much about it. Definitely 500 mile checkup to make sure everything is looking good still.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

yeah we here in the middle of no where in the middle of the Namib dessert, Walvis Bay, but we have some awesome dunes here that we get to drive. thank for the info on running them in will do that.

Quick Reply: jeep jk 2015 ring and pinion