Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Ulimited with a third row

Old 05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkpearl
Sorry rondjenx if i missed the seat question, the third row passangers can push the lever to lay the seat down, but they do require assistance to pull it up, stowed and upright positon before take off.

bertjnkns: The seat is maybe used once aweek, if the kids had it there way, they would ride in the back all the time. yea when i go nuts on the trail even with my old jeep with harnesses and cage, i kicked them all out, not alot of vehicles with third row seats could take an impact like that van did.

hurstrescue: thanks,

mjolnir: thanks,

ronjenx: thanks, i agree input is good from all. there is alot of good info on this forum. 1 peanut is just a peanut, get alot of peanuts and you can make peanutbutter.....hahaha..

Hope of got everybody busy day opened two screens so i could type and read.
Semi trucks, like that one, typically have bumpers that end up being above the automobile bumper they hit. Anyone in the third row of a short wheelbase minivan would be subject to the same damger. I'll take the ladder frame and slightly higher build of the jeep.

I would not however offroad with them back there. Of course I probably wouldn't put my kids in the back on a real trail anyway.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The "naysayers" are just bringing up additional points to ponder so a more informed decision can be made. It's good to have ideas from other points of view. That's what these forums are all about, right?
I don't think he is pondering a decision. Looks like it has already been done. Felt like some wanted to rain on the parade.

Perhaps a new thread to discuss the pros/cons of an item like this would have been more appropriate.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default not ponedering

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
I don't think he is pondering a decision. Looks like it has already been done. Felt like some wanted to rain on the parade.

Perhaps a new thread to discuss the pros/cons of an item like this would have been more appropriate.
Yea the seat has its pros and cons, Figured i found a good product that people might like, i like it so i am sharing the info.

there are products that we all buy everyday that some people think is a waste but its what ever you like, and that is what makes us different....rockcrawler or rubicon express, mickey thompson or bfg, 2dr or 4dr, etc..etc...some folks say lifted jeeps are crazy, impractical and dangerous. but hey that is what some people like.

the forum is great get all kinds of info, some good some bad, oh well, if we all thought alike then the world would be boring, some people stay in the box, and some people cant get into the box.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
this is why this is a bad idea. The front and back seat are designed with a "crush zone" in mind. By putting a rear seat back there that A) has no seatbelts and B) was not designed to be there, you risk anyone sitting in that spot.

Just to illustarte, here's a picture of an accident that happened in front of my office yesterday morning. The guy walked away without a scratch because the crush zone worked on his honda van. His van is DESIGNED for 3rd seat passengers and if he would have had any, they would have been killed. Just imagine how bad it would be if it wasn't even designed for it.

but off ranting, those seats do appear to match well and fit the space nicely.

By the way, the Honda minivan has a pretty large space, relatively speaking, between the third row and the back bumper. Take a gander at the Mercury Villager, Mazda MPV, Subaru Tribeca, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer, Suzuki XL7..... Aw, heck look at just about any vehicle with a third row. Excepting maybe the Chrysler minivans, they'll all have less crush space than the Honda. Most of them are comparable to an Unlimited with an add-on.
That said, I wouldn't consider putting in a third row unless I was able to see crash-testing pics and video that showed me how the crumple zone handled the energy.

(and the third row at least looks great, by the way)
Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blkpearl
Sorry rondjenx if i missed the seat question, the third row passangers can push the lever to lay the seat down, but they do require assistance to pull it up, stowed and upright positon before take off.

bertjnkns: The seat is maybe used once aweek, if the kids had it there way, they would ride in the back all the time. yea when i go nuts on the trail even with my old jeep with harnesses and cage, i kicked them all out, not alot of vehicles with third row seats could take an impact like that van did.

hurstrescue: thanks,

mjolnir: thanks,

ronjenx: thanks, i agree input is good from all. there is alot of good info on this forum. 1 peanut is just a peanut, get alot of peanuts and you can make peanutbutter.....hahaha..

Hope of got everybody busy day opened two screens so i could type and read.
What lever? Mine does not have a lever on the back of the back (your middle) seat.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

The "safety bears" have already said what I was planning to...

Otherwise, looks great, like factory, and would give the extra option, if needed.

Let's hope that nothing happens with the tykes in the back. That said, if eating a pretzel on the couch can be life threatening, go nuts!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mcds99
I would remove it.

The Unlimited is a 5 passenger Jeep, if someone is injured you "You" will be the responsible party and your insurance company will let you swing in the wind.
This I could see. However, there are avenues to getting around this, such as having the insurance adjuster come by and examine the product, to allow it to be covered.
I'm not sure about the how legal the mod is when it comes to getting pulled over. Police are very well trained and know how many people can be in a Jeep or car/truck.
Hardly. Except in the most draconian of states (possibly NY and Cali), if it has belts, it is legal. You can buy seats and put them in the back of your pickup truck and they are legal.
As others have mentioned, this isn't much different from the current configuration in the 2 door, except for the lack of overhead protection. I still say I like it much better than any minivan out there.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What lever? Mine does not have a lever on the back of the back (your middle) seat.
ya, the lever/handle on the back of my middle seat your rear seat. i am a little slow sometimes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
This I could see. However, there are avenues to getting around this, such as having the insurance adjuster come by and examine the product, to allow it to be covered.

Hardly. Except in the most draconian of states (possibly NY and Cali), if it has belts, it is legal. You can buy seats and put them in the back of your pickup truck and they are legal.
As others have mentioned, this isn't much different from the current configuration in the 2 door, except for the lack of overhead protection. I still say I like it much better than any minivan out there.

thanks for the input, i am currently working on extending the rear cage, and possibly putting on an exo cage (that was before i even thought about the seat), just need to practice bending and welding, and mount the spare on the rear of the cage and use it like a bumper, a 37in spare in your grill, in some cases halfway up the hood and into the windsheild will keep ya on your toes
Old 05-04-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

There seems to be more space behind your 3rd row seat ad the tailgate than there is in my Dodge Durango behind its 3rd seat and its factory. The only thing I would do is extend your roll bar above there heads. Ive been thinking about this for some time. I like it.

Quick Reply: JK Ulimited with a third row