Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Roof Rack install: Garage Pro sold by JC Whitney for Unlimited JK

Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

okay,

I went canoe/kayaking this past week. but I didn't buy the new Thule 450 mounts yet, so I had to keep the hardtop on and use the old raingutter mounts.

so i show the pics below as just "interim" shots, and not as how i plan to use the rack. I plan to get the new Thule mounts and then get the soft top back on soon.

but the week showed me some things. like, if the boats are not high enough, I will have to forget top mounted lights on the light bars. But, I think the 450s will put me up another 2-3", so that should enough. and I will be putting only small rounds or maybe rectangle lights.

and it helped me confirm that if i go with 72" wide cross bars instead of the current 64" ones, I should be able to put 2 kayaks and the canoe on the rack.
and with my lift (and new tires soon) the 72" rack bars (sticking out about 4") will be over 6'6" high. so only my tallest friends will bump their heads. (Or i just get shorter friends?)

And yes, using electrical tape at each joint and with a few re-tightenings, the rack is solid and tight. and very little wind noise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-26_15-56-12_430 - Copy.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	348477Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-26_15-56-21_928 - Copy.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	348478
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been trying to find this rack online for a while without any luck. The jc Whitney site says it is no longer available. Does anyone know what the model number is for the 4 door version of this rack? I looked for the ndure brand name too and no luck. Did they stop selling these racks?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not seeing it either. hmm. Body Armor is the same rack, but it's going to cost more just because of the name. I don't see JCW selling it for the JKU, perhaps asking a tech support person on their site can find it. That sucks.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

You might just need to wait a few weeks or months in order for JCW to get them into stock. When i had checked in the first part of May they didn't show up on the web site. Check it again at the end of May and it was listed. Also make sure you tell the web site you have a 2010 or later, because at the time they didn't show it available or in stock for my 2012, but was in stock and available for a 2010 at the same time, the below is the part # from the order.

Part #:REPJ520101

2010 Jeep Wrangler (JK) N-Dure
Direct fit Roof Rack - Textured black Wrangler (JK)
N-Dure

Ordered it in late May, $298 including shipping and was delivered in two boxes with no problems and well packed within a week. But was not on the site a week before, just keep checking.

Had to make a few mod's to the rear mounting brackets only because of the fabfours bumper i'm using, but everything else fit well.

This is the second rack of this model i've owned, first one was destroyed by a drunk when my '09 was totalled. At the time i had purchased the rack for my '09 it didn't come with the cross bars, this new rack did come with the 4 cross bars. Although i prefer the cross bars i had made from 1 1/2 tube. Pictures are from my '09.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20100906_193803.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	352518Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-29 11.28.34.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	352519Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20100906_132526.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	352520

Originally Posted by Phantasm
I'm not seeing it either. hmm. Body Armor is the same rack, but it's going to cost more just because of the name. I don't see JCW selling it for the JKU, perhaps asking a tech support person on their site can find it. That sucks.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Mike, I noticed that you are using the stock rear bumper with the Body Armor rack. How did you do it? Everything I have read indicates you either need an aftermarket bumper, or you need to body mount it. Please respond as this is what is holding me up from making a decision on this rack.

Thanks,

Kregg

Originally Posted by MikeMWindLake
Here is the picture with two kayaks. I have Yakima rollers and Mako saddles. The cross bars are about 1/8" greater in diameter than the Yakima cross bars. I had to change the mounts to Thule square bar size. The other is a Malone saddle which fit just fine.

I've since added 4 Pella 520 LED on the top bar. They are 3.5" tall and sit below the kayaks so it works well. Amazingly bright too.

I'm glad yours was packaged well. The issue still remains that the N-Dure wasn't paying for quality. I agree cost is an issue but my time it worth something too. If I knew I was paying to quality I would (there are limits of course). If I saved a Saturday, it would be worth $200. The problem is that it really hard to tell. As you said it could be the same product, one built in a quality controlled factory and the order not. There is no way to know. I ordered a Rock Slide front bumper and it was the complete opposite. Well made and well packaged. I was able to call and ask questions and the people on the other side had answers.

Did the Body Armor come with the 4 cross bars? Part of the reason to go with N-Dure (or Garage-Pro) was the cross bars. I didn't like the Body Armor pictures which used a Yakima or Thule rack which pushed up the overall height. (I know there are low profile ones but I wasn't sure they'd fit) I still need to get up to the kayaks and I've changed plans and I will be getting smaller wheels and tires than I planned to avoid having the kayaks 7' off the ground.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

I actually just bought this rack for $154.00 at JC Whitney....we will see what happens. It says it's a clearence item under gargepro brand. For $150.00....why the hell not?!?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

2 door is $89.69 + $65 heavy shipping surcharge
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@khill I was looking all over JC Whitney for this deal. Can you explain where you found it? I am interested after reading all the positives in this thread.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

I'm wondering what baskets will work with this rack?!? I'm sure the Body Armor rack will work...just not too fond of the BA logo that is lasercut in the fairing.

Originally Posted by scottz
2 door is $89.69 + $65 heavy shipping surcharge
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ashdon3kids
@khill I was looking all over JC Whitney for this deal. Can you explain where you found it? I am interested after reading all the positives in this thread.
Here ya go!

Garage Pro SRC Style Jeep Wrangler Roof Racks - JCWhitney

Quick Reply: Roof Rack install: Garage Pro sold by JC Whitney for Unlimited JK