Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Originally Posted by dirtyboyjustin
thanks for the advice yeah its funny i knew this and still the first time did not disable the esp when using the locker switches and that coupled with the axles being locked was pretty interesting luckily i was going very slow luckily i was not in a tight spot either cause turning was near impossible.

So others heed this warning!!!!

I went ahead and installed a esp kill switch and took care of the problem and have not turned it back on since.
"ESP kill switch"? What is that? On my 2007 I just turn off the ESP then hit the appropriate auxiliary locker switch!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

the "esp kill switch" is a way for 07's who have not had the reflash needed to get the "steering wheel dance" enabled in order to turn the esp, bas, and abs comletely off with one switch becuase when you use the stock esp switch it never goes completely off only partially unless in 4-lo. This switch will turn off all the before mentioned and once you turn the switch back on and restart the car it all comes back on. All you do is splice into the purple wire with straight light blue stripe under the steering column and insert a switch wherever you want and then use it. haha! i have not turned those back on since i installed the switch. Jeep drives so much better! IMO!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Originally Posted by dirtyboyjustin
the "esp kill switch" is a way for 07's who have not had the reflash needed to get the "steering wheel dance" enabled in order to turn the esp, bas, and abs comletely off with one switch becuase when you use the stock esp switch it never goes completely off only partially unless in 4-lo. This switch will turn off all the before mentioned and once you turn the switch back on and restart the car it all comes back on. All you do is splice into the purple wire with straight light blue stripe under the steering column and insert a switch wherever you want and then use it. haha! i have not turned those back on since i installed the switch. Jeep drives so much better! IMO!
I guess you are saying that if I have the reflash, the ESP kill switch is not needed?

If that's the case, can you identify which TSB covered the reflash? I've got very good maintenance records and can look to see if it's been done or not. If not, my very good dealer would probably do it for me (one less switch to install!).

Or do I still need the ESP kill switch after the reflash? You comments seem to indicate I shouldn't!

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

the push button on the center console never turns the esp, bas, abs completely off except in 4-lo simply a partially off mode which will resume even when turned off with the button when a certain speed is exceeded and yes you can just turn it off with the switch if you are not going to exceed that speed. Where you will need this for sure is when you are in 2wd and wish to lock the rear up. The reflash could have come from several recalls that warranted reflashes if you got those search for steering wheel dance to disable the esp if this works great if not you can pay to have the reflash done at dealership to enable this or wire in a switch i really like the switch's functionality and simpleness plus it was around $6 where some have paid upwards of $100 for the dealer reflash.
If you want more info on the switch here is the link. the info you need for that is not right at the top it is on the 2nd page almost half way down. real simple instructions plus if you need any clarification i should be able to help.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rned-off/page2
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
So after years of doing this mod has anyone had a code thrown or a warranty issue thanks to it?
I have had no problems and I use them lots.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whpony96
Those switches can not be used alone with this mod. You must use a relay too for the light to light up. The switches are designed to send 12v to a accessory. They are not designed to send a ground to a accessory..

Now the bad news you might have fried something if you hooked up the switches according to the directions on the switch you just sent 12v to the ground on the elocker relay. (Simply put not good!)
A swict is simply a contact. It completes a circuit. And even the lighted switches aren't always meant to run off of 12v. If he followed the instructions, there is not a possible source of 12v, therefore no possible way to cook anything. Unless the theory of Thermodynamics has changed in the past 24hrs.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blakspire
A swict is simply a contact. It completes a circuit. And even the lighted switches aren't always meant to run off of 12v. If he followed the instructions, there is not a possible source of 12v, therefore no possible way to cook anything. Unless the theory of Thermodynamics has changed in the past 24hrs.
You mean you did not get the news flash???

Scotty finally changed the laws of physics, at Captain Kirks request.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
You mean you did not get the news flash???

Scotty finally changed the laws of physics, at Captain Kirks request.
NO WAY! BP is gunna be PISSED!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting...
Old 12-25-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Did the locker mod - works great!

Hey, just completed this mod a couple weeks ago - works great! Kudos to John Smack for the writeup. I did it without removing the batteries (2), which was a little tricky, and required some long needle-nose pliers. I agree with the above posts though - don't use the little red clips from Canadian Tire - they're garbage. I used blue ones from Princess Auto!

Basically all you need to do is clip onto the only dark wire (black / purple) coming out of each relay (the others are bright coloured), and ground it (through a switch would be easier than popping your hood each time. ) I tested it at first just to the nearest bolt, and you can hear a click from the front and rear differential respectively, even without the engine on (clue).

Works great, especially in the deep snow. You can have 'em on in residential, turn them off on the freeway, then on again near work, without shifting out of high range. I use '3 wheel drive' a lot (back locker only). I like the fact that the locker lights blink on the dash - I don't need to add a lighted switch, and if I'm going 30 - 40 - 50 MPH with the lockers on, I kinda want to be reminded of it! It makes me feel like I'm living on the edge, driving with all those blinking yellow lights

I've had no issues with the ESP. It seems to me that if you're locked up, the tires won't spin at different speeds anyway, so the ESP never wants to come on (?) I usually turn off the switch on the dash anyway though, to stop the engine from cutting out if there's a little wheel spin. When I first got it, I hit the gas to go a couple times with just enough time, only to lurch forward into the traffic in front of a big truck coming.... and have my engine cut out Note to Chrysler - Having the engine cut out is going to kill someone - It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

One tip with this mod - don't leave them 'on' overnight. I didn't clue in to the above, and it drained my battery pretty good (I still started the next morning, but I doubt I would have after 2 days). Apparently if the lockers are switched on, it drains power even when the inginition is off. I suppose a more elaborate switching setup would prevent this, something switched on the ignition. [Thinking.... Maybe run each ground wire through another double pole relay (or 2 single relays), with the new relay(s) switched on the ignition. Have to put that on my 'to do' list. ]

Just my 2c - enjoy!

Last edited by BoggerSwap; 12-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!