Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
Are you able to lock just the front locker without engaging the rear with this mod?
Yes, we figured out there was no way to use just one switch, so we installed two switches.

I can use either the front or the rear locker - or both in 4LO or 4HI (haven't tried 2HI as I don't see a need for lockers in 2HI).
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default just a suggestion

good article on this mod,I have done similar to my rear locker but have a strong suggestion to any of you considering doing this,DO NOT USE SCOTCH LOCKS for splices as shown in this thread.Scotch locks cut the original wire in half,make it very prone to fail(open circuit)also they do not seal the wire against moisture and splice will corrode,do a proper splice and seal with heat shrink tubing.Chrysler gave us a nice weather proof relay to work with,do not compromise with poor splice that will cause it to corrode
I have been making my living heavy duty mechanic that specializes in highway and oilfield truck wiring and electronics,have repaired and rebuilt many harness because of these things being used to splice into OEM circuits.I use non insulated "butt" connectors covered with heat shrink tubing for all splices and repairs this seems to hold out the best,also do not recomend solder for splices and joints
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
Yes, I realized the thread is old but I found a good source for the toggle switches. You can get writing on them and I plan on getting mine to say "front" and "rear".

h t t p://www.performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley/togglecover.html
Unfortunately you are paying only for the toggle switch cover. You still have to buy the toggle switch itself.

You should check these out - complete with switches - and they can be illuminated (numbers 11 and 12):

h t t p://www.pedal-2d-metal.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch50.html

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-05-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Please refrain from posting links to companies who are not Project-JK sponsors. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after years of doing this mod has anyone had a code thrown or a warranty issue thanks to it?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

if anyone reads this and has this mod done have you ever had any issues with the lockers not engaging the first time you turn on your switches or not being able to get them to turn off when you turn the switch back off. Every once in awhile i will turn on the switches the rear will not turn on the first time and every once in awhile neither will turn off when i turn off the switch. Most of the time everything works as supposed to. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems and what the solution or problem is so it can be remedied or if maybe there is an order to turn on off or anything like that which would cause this.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirtyboyjustin
if anyone reads this and has this mod done have you ever had any issues with the lockers not engaging the first time you turn on your switches or not being able to get them to turn off when you turn the switch back off. Every once in awhile i will turn on the switches the rear will not turn on the first time and every once in awhile neither will turn off when i turn off the switch. Most of the time everything works as supposed to. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems and what the solution or problem is so it can be remedied or if maybe there is an order to turn on off or anything like that which would cause this.
Have had this mod since March 2010 and not had a problem.
Are you sure the mod was done correctly?
I have noticed that sometimes it takes a minute or two for the lockers to engage/disengage, even while using the factory switches.

Other than that they always engage/disengage!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

yeah the mod is done correctly i am wondering and thinking that it is something like not flipping the switch and engaging the lockers correctly at the correct time or order or while stopped. could anything like this be the issue or something similar
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default switch is bad not me haha

ahhh...didn't see this coming found out what is wrong with my setup. Today instead of just only working sporadically the rear locker switch just stopped working. New switch=everything works correctly. Luckily it was the equipment not me.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!

Originally Posted by dirtyboyjustin
ahhh...didn't see this coming found out what is wrong with my setup. Today instead of just only working sporadically the rear locker switch just stopped working. New switch=everything works correctly. Luckily it was the equipment not me.
Just remember to be sure to turn off your ESP before using the locker switches otherwise you may get a big surprise as the ESP kicks in! Remember, in 4HI or 2HI ESP is engaged (totally turned of in 4LO!)!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the advice yeah its funny i knew this and still the first time did not disable the esp when using the locker switches and that coupled with the axles being locked was pretty interesting luckily i was going very slow luckily i was not in a tight spot either cause turning was near impossible.

So others heed this warning!!!!

I went ahead and installed a esp kill switch and took care of the problem and have not turned it back on since.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Owners! Locker Modification!