Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure I was born with only a limited amount of AT fluid changes in me and I've already reached my limit.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Here's my writeup:
Crawl under Jeep and remove Rock Hard tranny skid (6 bolts.) Get in and drive to trusted mechanic. Go about your business for 4 hours or so. Go back, get out checkbook, cowboy up, write check, drive home, check for leaks and fluid levels, re-install skid.

I'm sorry, but of all the things I do and like to do to the JK, AT transmission service sucks a$$. That's one thing I gladly pay someone else to do.
LMAO. It ain't the most clean job on a Jeep to do. I've had plenty of ATF in my hair before.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
ronjenx, it is possible to remove and reinstall the trans pan w/o removing the exhaust though it is not easy, epecially the first time. In order to get at them, I used a 1/4 universal (broke a craftsman though) on the outer one. I do not recommend using them since these bolts come from the factory real tight and 1/4 at an angle is pushing it. After I broke the universal I switched to box end wrenches. This worked with a cheater. I used another box end over the open end of the first wrench to gain a little leverage. They came off and the pan can be manuevered off fairly easily, but there is no way around the mess that you're gonna make. Its a matter of containment. I had to do this procedure TWICE, as I installed a transmission sensor probe into the side of the pan and it leaked the first time. Its good now. You can see pics in myjk if you want.
Thanks for the input.
The pan came out with the exhaust in place, but going back together, there was just no forward progress until I loosened the exhaust enough to get three of the bolts started. By the way, I removed the pan to weld in a bung for a temp probe. As soon as I finish the wiring and gauge install, I will do some research on tranny overheating. I have a couple theories.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, if I had planned things a little better I would have ordered a steel pipe fitting to weld in but as it was I made a few mistakes and ended up have to mcgiver my way out of a pickle as far as getting the probe sealed in place. Passed that test and I'll ever see JK trans fluid again if I can help it.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

What is a reasonable price for a transmission service?

$80 at the local Aamco here. Sound about right?

Last edited by smalls; 01-07-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls
What is a reasonable price for a transmission service?

$80 at the local Aamco here. Sound about right?
I'd say that's pretty good on price. I've never trusted a major trans chain, though. But then, I do all my stuff myself.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Write up here: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service
Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

The 2 dealers near me wanted $255 and $240 (trans only, no diffs) I bought 6qts AFT 4 fluid, filter, O ring, and silicon sealant for $86. (But today noted Wal Mart has the fluid for $4.24 qt. same container, dealer chared $8.01 qt. 4WheelParts will do it for me when they put my lift on, part of the deal. Above post is for manual.

Last edited by blazer4949; 01-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talking about trans fluid.....Any sources out there for aftermarket pans that are deeper/more quarts & alloy, with cooling fins and temp/drain bungs built in?
Like Mag- Hytec has for the big boys???
Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMac4
they were asking about the automatic trans.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?