Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF Oil change

so basically, nobody's done a write up yet on a auto trany flush?

also is there a tranny oil filter?
or just a matter of removing the pan, to drain the oil, clean pan and reseal?

what a headache for the budgeted guy
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fish
they were asking about the automatic trans.
good call, my bad. I haven't seen an auto tranny flush write-up.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't flush an automatic transmission. Not unless something went wrong such as overhaeting. I've seen cases where a transmission flush caused more harm than good. It's an aftermarket gimmick just to get your money. There's no mention of it in your owner's manual. I know some old timers.....myself included who say that you can actually flush some of the clutch material out of an automatic. I think that theory has merit. I wouldn't flush it, but you can drain the torque converter in most cases. They usually have a drain plug. That will get a lot more fluid out than a regular transmission service.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I wouldn't flush an automatic transmission. Not unless something went wrong such as overhaeting. I've seen cases where a transmission flush caused more harm than good. It's an aftermarket gimmick just to get your money. There's no mention of it in your owner's manual. I know some old timers.....myself included who say that you can actually flush some of the clutch material out of an automatic. I think that theory has merit. I wouldn't flush it, but you can drain the torque converter in most cases. They usually have a drain plug. That will get a lot more fluid out than a regular transmission service.
15,000 miles and you're changing the tranny fluid? WTF....don't waist your money! That is 100% overkill.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when is it due?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?