Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tuffy Security Full Console Notes

Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuffy Security Full Console Notes

I installed the Tuffy Full Security Console ($467) last week and would like to provide some notes to the install. I don't really see a need for a full write up since the instructions are pretty good. I just want to point out a few things that might make it easier if you decide to install. Let me warn you that I am probably the least mechanically inclined person you know, so I may do things the hard or the dumb way.
My 2 door JK came with the bottom of the line center console, no storage and sucks. I do not have power windows so I didn't need to worry about that in the console.

Here it is in all its glory:

I will go through the instructions (using their numbers) and add notes where I think they should be.
2. The instructions recommend removing or sliding the seats out of the way. I recommend removing the seats. I could not figure out a way to access the bolts that hold the console in with the seats in the vehicle. Removing the seats is a whole different nightmare. It took me about an hour solo to pull the seats out. I read other threads and they mentioned how tight they were. The front 2 come out pretty decent since you have room for leverage. The back 2 did not. Mind you, I had no one to hold the socket on the nut while I attempted to loosen. My 250 lb torque impact wrench did nothing to the rear bolts. It took a 3 foot cheater bar on my breaker bar and a lot of sweat to get the bolts out. I know they don't want the seat coming out, but that was ridiculous. Disconnect the seat wiring harness before you yank the seats out.
4. I had no original console, nothing to remove.
11. My 4wd knob did not come out with moderate force. What a joke. I stood in the Jeep and pulled straight off (was sore for 2 days) with no luck. I read you could try sticking a crescent wrench under the knob and tapping up lightly. That didnt work either. I was able to remove it by slightly twisting, and I mean slightly. That worked great. I did not turn it, just a slight twist. I wish I read that first.
15. Because mine was all 1 piece removing it was a pain. I cut it into 2 pieces by the emergency brake and removed it that way. I'm sure there is a better way, but I couldn't think of it.
18. I tapped into my cig. lighter power supply for the 12 volt outlet.
29. When you make a note of which terminal is positive and negative I recommend putting a small piece of tape on either of them. You won't be able to see any written marking when it comes time to plug in. You may have also spun the thing and right won't be right any more.
39. Put a protective barrier down. I half assed a piece of cardboard to protect the dash. I slightly scratched it up. Take your time on this part.
45 & 46. Do not try this in the dark, you won't be able to see anything.

Everything else goes pretty much according to their instructions. The install was not difficult on Tuffy's part. Pulling the seats and original console sucked!!!!! You need help pulling the seats if you have never removed them. That pretty much summarizes it. If you have any particular questions PM or post them. I check back pretty often.

Here is the finished product. I am very satisfied with it so far. Great arm wrest.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

That is nice. I have the Tuffy security box that just replaces the center storage box. I wish I would have waited for the full replacement model to come out.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job......
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Just Did Mine

I just installed the Tuffy Security Console on exactly the same setup. Just like you, I had to cut the old console open around the shift. 08 JK 2 door manual.

Most things went together just fine....except...

I really wish the product description from Tuffy had said you really need to take the seats out.

I live pretty far from town, and with the tools I had, there was no way those seat bolts were coming out. I have good tools, but would have stripped the nut without an impact driver.

So, the console is in, but I can't get the last two bolts into the "installation panel" part number 19.

Otherwise pretty good instructions (not nearly as good as the instructions I get for most of my motorcycle mods), good console, less space than I thought from the catalog.......but generally happy with the whole thing.

I would love to see the CAD model that Tuffy has for this, to see how hard it would be for them to move the bolt holes so one would not have to remove the seats.

(Also have their big rear security drawer. That has been really nice for 12,000 miles, including a 9,500 mile run from the Mexican border to the Arctic Ocean and back.)

Marty
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for this assessment of the Tuffy Console install. Any chance you can post some multi-angle pictures of the console with the lid up and closed? $450 is a pretty penny and I would really like to see it a little closer before dropping the cash. Thanks again for the write up!!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fitting into a 2011 model?

Are there any issues putting the full security console into a 2011 model? Or is there a new model to come out for the 2011 model?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Aussie Jeepster
Are there any issues putting the full security console into a 2011 model? Or is there a new model to come out for the 2011 model?
The security console mentioned in this post WILL NOT fit the 2011's due to the interior redesign and the new console options for the model year.
Tuffy has a prototype in the works for the 2011 - hopefully it's debugged and ready for production before the end of the month!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffy2
The security console mentioned in this post WILL NOT fit the 2011's due to the interior redesign and the new console options for the model year.
Tuffy has a prototype in the works for the 2011 - hopefully it's debugged and ready for production before the end of the month!
Sounds great - I'll be waiting.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you tell what wire is positive or negative on the 12 volt lighter terminal! There is a black wire with a white strip and a blue one with a brown stripe? Which one is positive and which is negative?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffy2
Keep us informed on the 2011 model.
Also, is there any chance you will ever make an underseat security drawer for the passenger side of the 2011/2012 models - there is a lot of space under the seat, and I don't see anything to get in the way like ECU's or whatever

Quick Reply: Tuffy Security Full Console Notes