Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)

Hello!
This is my first write up on the forum…

PURPOSE; To make it MUCH easier for anyone looking to find answers on how to install an aftermarket sub/sub amp to your JK with Infinity system.

ASSUMPTIONS;
· You are Keeping stock head unit & infinity amp to run all speakers EXCEPT sub.
I did this to keep stock appearance
· You do not want to invest in an expensive aftermarket harness to add this amp/sub.
· Running all new power/ground/remote turn on lead for new sub amp.

· It can be difficult to find the following data you need on the following in one place on the forum:
i. How/where to connect remote turn on lead wire.
ii. How to connect new amp INPUT RCA’s/ line level inputs to stock head unit. (via LOC)
iii. Where to run Amp wiring through the firewall.

Let’s answer each of these:
i. How do you connect a remote turn on lead for your amp (if your amp requires it)

a. Notes:
i. There is NOT a remote turn on lead on the stock headunit (non mygig)
ii. The stock unit uses a CAN BUS system to notify the Infinity amp it is on
iii. As a result, your aftermarket amp will be on whenever ignition is on, NOT necessarily coinciding with whether or not your radio is on, since you cannot wire directly to the head unit.
iv. VERY IMPORTANT TIME SAVER: if you are going to get an LOC (see ii below to get an audio signal for your amp, GET ONE that provides a remote turn on lead, and save your self all the rest of these steps in b, c below!)

b. There are several locations to hook up a remote turn on lead
i. cigarette lighter
ii. fuse box
iii. steering column (this is the one I chose)

c. STEERING COLUMN REMOTE TURN ON LEAD CONNECTION WRITE UP:
i. Remove lower cover:

ii. Remove upper cover:

iii. Locate 5 pin plug on left side of steering column:

1. I found it helpful to remove metal brace behind stock amp

iv. Unplug connector from steering column
v. Pull back existing wire cover and tape:
vi. Locate PINK/WHITE wire: this wire is switched with ignition

vii. Splice your remote turn on wire from amp to this wire
viii. Tape wire, replace wire cover, plug in connector, replace brace, plastic covers.
ix. That’s it! (no need to pull dash apart or run wiring all the way to fuse box!

ii. How to connect new amp INPUT RCA’s/ line level inputs to stock head unit. (via LOC)

a. Notes:
i. Stock Headunit (non mygig) does NOT have RCA outputs at all.

ii. Need to splice wiring to get audio signal for new amp via LOC (or just straight wiring if your new amp accepts line level inputs-NOT recommended, but doable)

iii. LOC=Line output convertor: this device converts speaker wiring into RCA connectors to provide input signal for your subwoofer
1. Scosche and PAC both have nice units. (I picked up a two channel scosche unit from best buy for $26.

a. NOTE; as mentioned above, several LOC’s provide a remote turn-on lead to avoid all the steps in roman numeral i. above!!!

iv. The location that you connect the LOC to can greatly affect the sound quality coming out of your sub! (see details below)

b. WHERE TO CONNECT LOC WRITEUP: (I will refer to wiring diagram below)
JK Infinity System Headunit/Infinity Amp wiring diagram:
http://tinyurl.com/jkwiringpic

i. Wire location A: (on connector from H/U to Infinity AMP OR behind H/U (recommended option)

(black plug, and refer to wiring diagram link above)

2. PRO’S
a. BEST choice for sound quality.
b. easy location to access (under steering column)

3. CON’S
a. Need to run long RCA wire from sub to steering column

4. If you want to connect behind head unit, more time involved

5. Location: under steering column on connector between amp and headunit, OR you can tap the line behind head unit
a. (refer to wire diagram above for wiring connections)

ii. Wire location B: (subwoofer wiring in rear of jeep, OR at amplifier sub out connection)

1. PRO’S
a. Easiest Location to tap into
b. Short RCA wires & remote turn on wire if you buy appropriate LOC

2. CON’S
a. Worst sound quality!
b. This signal has been amplified and crossed-over by Infinity Amp, and you may want to choose different crossover points than stock sub!
c. I did this. For a sub, sounds good!

iii. Wire Location C: Front speaker output on Infinity AMP

(white plug, and refer to wiring diagram link above)

1. PRO’S
a. Un-“crossed-over” signal to front speakers

2. CON’s
a. WHY DO THIS WHEN YOU CAN DO OPTION A above?

iii. Where to run the aftermarket AMP power wire through the firewall?

a. Notes
i. Be sure to use a fused power wire
ii. I also put my fusable power wire block INSIDE the vehicle to prevent weather/road grime affecting it
iii. There are several locations to choose from, or you can drill your own
iv. Be SURE to run your power wire SEPARATE from your remote turn on wire/RCA wires to prevent noise in your sub!

b. Keep it simple:

i. If you run the power cord along the passenger side of the Jeep to the front passenger footwell, there’s already a grommet that you can pierce with a knife, coat hanger, utility knife (be careful not to cut any existing wires)

ii. PICTURE OF FOOTWELL LOCATION:

Here are a few Pics of the finished project

I hope this helps!

Last edited by joyntman; 01-20-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, awesome write-up. Saving that one for sure.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Nice job, I may be following once I get my back-up cam in the mail. (might as well wire it all @ once).
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't have the infinity system (but have the rear sub speaker harness) and want to have a sub in the rear is there still a signal running thru the speaker harness in the rear that can be tapped into?
I've been contemplating getting a sub and am thinking of the best/easiest spot tap into the speaker wires.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Wow nice write-up! i just got two subs and this helps a bunch thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BidSco7985
Wow nice write-up! i just got two subs and this helps a bunch thanks
Happy to help, i spent 3 or 4 hours trying to find all the right data, where i needed, when i needed it!

After listening to my sub some more today, i am going to take the time to relocate my LOC/RCA adapter to the wire set A i mentioned in my write up to see if i can get better sound quality; it sounds a bit muddy. Not bad, but i am particular about how the bass sounds!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by runit3
Nice job, I may be following once I get my back-up cam in the mail. (might as well wire it all @ once).
Thanks, you were a BIG help to me when i was trying to figure things out. Figured it couldn't hurt to post some visual aids
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default aftermarket amp for sub

ok so my deal is i like for the sub to still work when the radio is still on without the key in the ignition. I hooked up the remote wire for the amp on the ignition wire, but it drives me nuts when i take out the key or have the key in the first position and amp is not on....! any thoughts on this problem..... before i get tooo creative!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

why would you want that? your battery will drain pretty quick if you have your sub amp on even when the engine is not on.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

The other option is to wire the 12v remote to the head-unit. Not sure on the color match up though.

Depending on your amp set-up it will drain the battery...just a matter of time w/out the engine running. I've drained out a battery in 7min....but I did have 3kW of continuous play (this wasn't on the JK, my girlfriends little tC)

Quick Reply: Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)