Notices
Mid-West If you live in the Mid-West area (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Oklahoma) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

OKC/Tulsa: Clayton/Frielings Oct 17

Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
What are the points on the map? Did someone breadcrumb their way through the trails and overlay them on the map?
Those are the simplified breadcrumbs, and yes - I breadcrumbed the entire time. Its a lot of data points though so I filter it down - you're seeing about 167 points as opposed to the 800 or so logged. I can export the track to google earth for the imagery

What you're seeing is the track we took - the part you didn't do is mostly on the far right side and part along the bottom. I'll see if I can highlight just the part you did.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Jedi

here's the track overlayed with the same track taking out the parts you guys didn't do. the pink is basically the stuff we did after you left. And they did more after I left, so this is just what I did after you left technically.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you guys covered some ground after we left . Boy this makes me want a GPS capable of breadcrumbing!!! I thought I had my Oklahoma Topo maps loaded up in my SD Card but duh! I guess it helps if I actually PUT the card IN the GPS too. Oh well. Didn't realize we made so many loops either. Good info. We need to go back there again sometime.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Jedi

Next trip I'm looking at Kansas Rocks or Barnwell Mtn.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Next trip I'm looking at Kansas Rocks or Barnwell Mtn.
Whenabouts? I know we'd talked about Barnwell Mountains possibly back in Hot Springs. Though I might have to hold off for a while and get myself unbroke and get those gussets and some skids!! Been lucky thus far; sure hate for my luck to run out one of these days

Thought for sure I'd have some dimples after Clayton... worst I can see are the pinstripes...
Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Whenabouts? I know we'd talked about Barnwell Mountains possibly back in Hot Springs. Though I might have to hold off for a while and get myself unbroke and get those gussets and some skids!! Been lucky thus far; sure hate for my luck to run out one of these days

Thought for sure I'd have some dimples after Clayton... worst I can see are the pinstripes...
barnwellmountainra.com
Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice work, Jack. What GPS are you running? I'd like very much to get a GPS that handles both roads and trails. What additional software (if any) are you using, as well?

BTW: That big mountain in the back you refer to is covered with radio antennas. So, there is undoubtedly at least a road to the top.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Nice work, Jack. What GPS are you running? I'd like very much to get a GPS that handles both roads and trails. What additional software (if any) are you using, as well?

BTW: That big mountain in the back you refer to is covered with radio antennas. So, there is undoubtedly at least a road to the top.
I use a Garmin 60CSx with the Topo 2008 software and City Navigator NT. Both the software are additional, but the unit does have pretty descent base maps...the city navigator package gives it super detailed for street routing.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Jack--As best as I can figure it out, the mountain we were wheeling was Little High Top. It's 1581 feet high. The big mountain that you refer to is Buffalo Mountain (I'm certain about this one). It's 2113 feet high, so competitive with some of the summits in the Wichitas. It really stands out because it's kind of out there by itself. The USGS quad topos do show a road to and across the top--access is near that Indian hospital at the east end of the mountain. A couple, short 4WD trails are also shown to the radio antennas.

This area is spread across seven quad topos. If you want to see, go to libremap.org and search the Oklahoma data on: Kiamichi, Yanush, Baker Mountain, Talihina, Albion and Red Oak. Select the topos by those names when the list is populated.

Quick Reply: OKC/Tulsa: Clayton/Frielings Oct 17