Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-Door lift - AEV or OME HD or OME +40??

Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drew
Installed the AEV 3.5 on my Rubi 2 door and believe it is closer to 4" especially in the front where it cured the rake. Kinda hard to measure cuz I went to 35" Kevlars from the stock BFGs at the same time. I have the full width ARB front and RR rear bumper w/tire carrier. Went to the NC mountains last week and it felt stable and I thot the handling was pretty good. Did have to row that 6 speed a lot tho...
Got any pics? I want the 3.5" AEV kit for my 2 door too.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Is your end plans to move/live in AK? Or just visting? I only ask because I can give some different answers.

Here's my AK advice....

A) if visiting who cares you will break everything you have and you have a Jeep so good luck getting the trailer queen locals to help you.

B) you have a Jeep and you get stuck even on 40s and have to leave it for the night so it will get burnt to the ground

C)buy a POS 'burban for $1000 and bring trailer it up, sell it for $8000 and make friends
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I should keep my mouth shut as I'm a 4-door and have neither lift, yet.

But, keep in mind both companies have engineered their springs for the type of expedition style driving you mentioned.

I think it will come down, for me, to price, customer service, and a coin flip.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry guys, I've been out of the loop. Just got married and it kind of took all my time for a while...

Originally Posted by falconfixer
Is your end plans to move/live in AK? Or just visting? I only ask because I can give some different answers.

Here's my AK advice....

A) if visiting who cares you will break everything you have and you have a Jeep so good luck getting the trailer queen locals to help you.

B) you have a Jeep and you get stuck even on 40s and have to leave it for the night so it will get burnt to the ground

C)buy a POS 'burban for $1000 and bring trailer it up, sell it for $8000 and make friends
I don't have any concrete plans except to do a lot of traveling with AK being a destination, be it short or long.

Originally Posted by CerOf
I should keep my mouth shut as I'm a 4-door and have neither lift, yet.

But, keep in mind both companies have engineered their springs for the type of expedition style driving you mentioned.

I think it will come down, for me, to price, customer service, and a coin flip.
Yeah, I know that they are comparable and I'd be great either way. But my main goal in starting this thread is to get input from other 2-doors on OME and especially AEV, their truck set ups, and what kind of lift they were looking at. I talked to another member who said AEV on his 2-door netted him between 5-6" of lift. That is far too much, so just trying to get some other opinions.

AEV is great for the complete set up (lacking arms) and the progressive rate springs. OME has been around for ever, great product, and it'd net pretty close to the 3.5" i'm looking for... and the constant rate springs will allow for a long arm kit way down the road.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a comparison between a pro comp 4" suspension with 35 KM2's (My dads White Jeep) and my Jeep with an Old Man Emu HD Coils Long Travel Suspension.

we put them in a garage next to each other, and i'm about 1 inch taller...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sheri
Just put on the mopar 2" on my 09 JK 2Dr. I have a shrockworks bumper/tire carrier and gobi roof rack. the rear is sagging. I was told by superlift that i should go to 3" 4dr coils in the rear to handle this extra weight. Does OME make HD 3" rears?
OME doesn't really make 3" anything. Everything is listed as a 2" lift, unless your talking about +40's, which to my understanding is far to much for a 2-door. But, unless you get standard duty OME's your going to net over 2", for most jeeps between 3-3.5". So if you need 3" for rears your options are OME 2-door heavies, or if that isn't enough you could opt for 4-door heavies, but that could be a little rough on a 2-door. Talk to Dave at Northridge, he'll know what you need I'm sure.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have an Automatic if you don't want to add extended brake lines, rear spring retainers and a new front drive shaft don't go with OME LT's. Can't speak for the AEV 3.5" but I bet the same is true also.

My2cents
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Alright guys, thank you for the insight, but after reading quite a bit more on here and some considerations I've decided to rein back the lift a little. I'm thinking OME Light or the new Teraflex 1.5" 4-door spring leveling kit on my 2-door which I imagine will give me 2~2.5".

I'd love more, but when I take into consideration all of the other things I'd have to worry about correcting, arms for the AEV kit, drive lines for either, driveability (let alone the money) I'll stick with a little shorter for now.

Quick Reply: 2-Door lift - AEV or OME HD or OME +40??