Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 JK 2 door overlander setup advice

Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK 2 door overlander setup advice

Hey I'm new to the forum and I know there's a lot of posts that ask this same general question but I haven't found any that cover all the upgrades I'm may or may not want. This is a repost cause i think this is meant for this forum and not the NC one.
I have a 2012 JK sport s auto. No mods so far but I want to turn it into a Jack of all trades master of none, DD, over lander, rock crawler etc. I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I'll see one video or read a post that says the current parts dream list in my shopping cart isn’t as good as this setup. I'm mainly looking for some advice so I don't go too overkill in my build.
Right now I know I want 3'in of lift, 35in tires, 5.13 gears, and better brakes( I’m pretty confident in the brake setup I have in mind so I’m not worried about that so much). I’m going to get a motorcycle as my main DD so this will be a bad weather or long distance car, I'm in no rush and can build this piece by piece, I’d like to spend around 5k to 6k on the lift, wheel, tires and brakes but if I have to go over budget for a valid reason then I’m fine with that. I do have a dirt bike I’d like to tow on one of the hitch mounted carries that puts the side of the bike towards the back of jeep, and I’m going to get better bumpers and amour which will add weight too.

The first question I have is for a jack of all trade build would you recommend going with a cheaper short arm kit such as the Teraflex alpine ct3 with the Falcon 3.1 shocks (complete kit no welding/cutting has fully adjustable control arms and you can upgrade the falcons pretty easy) or go with a long arm kit like the Rock Krawler jk25xfla2.5 x-factor long arm system lift kit with the same falcon shocks? (Little more articulation better ride compared to short arm kits may be overkill depending on who you talk to but most people seem to agree that long arms are better for on road handling since it fixes a lot of geometry issues)
For the lift I prefer the better ride as in better control and more support since I plan to use the jeep for long distance driving (at most 400 miles visiting family) or for hauling a 250 pound dirt bike shorter distances.

For axles I’m almost certain I just have Dana 30(halfway across the world so I can’t check to confirm), my question is would getting an axle support kit be strong enough for what I want out of the jeep or should I try to find some Dana 44's. If the Dana 44's are recommended is there a recommended brand to go with? (I checked out some posts about upgrading axles but did see anything that included hauling a dirt bike on the back of the jeep)
For the axles I want to make sure I don't break something in the middle of nowhere, I do prefer to do faster off-roading compared to more technical rock crawling but that's mostly because there's nothing to technical near me. I saw the FAQ here about axles and found out that Dana 30 can support the tires I want with a support kit and better axle shafts I just wanted to see if it would be a better decision to upgrade to Dana 44 or if I can stick with the 30s.

I saw some posts on recommended upgrades if you get a lift kit so I understand I should get a new drive shaft front and rear that have CV joints and I'm sure I can find other recommended parts to in case these lifts don't supply them already, I just wanted to get an idea of what I truly needed for my jack of all trades build.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This may help.... only a few JKs, but maybe help a bit.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...advice-326528/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-build-343895/
Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Ok cool thanks! If i have any questions after going through those posts ill keep this thread going.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

ok so for the lift it seems the Teraflex Outback edition should have strong enough springs for the extra weight as long as i get a bumper and some extra stuff to help weigh it down a bit, the fox shocks i was looking at should be perfect to so i can adjust it for when im riding with nothing and when i load up my bike. The posts also told me what was missing from the kit so i should be able to piece together what i need after that. I still dont know if its worth upgrading the dana 30's, i most likely have, or try and get some dana 44's. I have a feeling the 30's should be fine as long as i get a c gusset kit and better axle shafts. I dont know if you have an opinion on the strength of the upgraded dana 30 axles vs dana 44 compared to the cost of each option.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

So I'm pretty sure i know all the parts ill need for my lift
Lift:
Teraflex outback suspension
Falcone 3.1 shocks
Axles:
JCR Front lower control arm skids, inner knuckle gussets, dana 30 front axle truss
JCR rear d44 axle Truss
Teraflex full float 30 spline 8 lug conversion front and rear with big break conversion
Rubicon express driveshaft package Front and rear
Arb Air lockers d44 30 spline d30 27 spine
Alloy usa front and rear pinion kit 5.13
Alloy usa chromoly 27 spline axle inner axle shafts
teraflex heavy duty ball joint set

Need more info on:
Should i get a high steer kit/ high steer knuckles?
are there any mods that i need to have for this build to work? want to make sure I'm not overlooking a part I'm going to need to put this all together.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So a few things. First, I just realized you're here in town (Fayetteville). cool.

So the stuff you've chosen. Did you read through these links? They can go a long way in a build.
- https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

- https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

As to the need for a high steer kit... well, that all depends on how much actual lift you get out of that lift kit. Seems for most people that as they approach 4 inches of actual lift, they need a drag link flip. The reason for needing one is to get the drag link more horizontal... this then requires a raised track bar bracket at the axle to get the track bar and drag link back into parallel (or as close as possible).

Over what timeframe are you building this? Why did you choose the Falcon shocks? The gears you're going with are pretty steep for 35 inch tires and especially for a Dana30 front. Given you've got a 2012 automatic, I'd think that 4.56 would be a better choice.

The Teraflex suspension lift you talk about looks complete. I would be curious how stiff it will ride (This system incorporates custom load-enhanced heavy-duty spring rate coils to meet the performance demands of a fully loaded Jeep and maintain the lift height)... most lift kits consider that a person will have heavier bumpers and such. This kit might be great when you're fully loaded (how often will that be?), but be pretty harsh when you're just sportin about Fayetteville. (especially with that short wheelbase on the 2 door).

Hopefully some of the folks that actually do overlanding will chime in as I'm a rock crawler kind of fellow and my jeep isn't a DD, so I tolerate much more stuff than a person that is spending lots of time in their rig will.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The hitch mounted bike carriers are awkward. I put a lighter bike on the back of mine and it was certainly weird, particularly with the lift on. You also end up pushing the bike out because of the spare tire.

In regards to the rest- I have the equivalent of a Metalcloak overland kit, but pieced together. My jeep is a daily of 40 miles and 4-500 mile trips happen every month. It does really well at Uwharrie (closest to rock crawling around here) as well as Rausch Creek PA.

I get your concern for the extra weight and this is one of those times where you may be better served with a simple $100 air bag kit. I had one previously on the jeep and it was great for adding a load- whether it be your overland journey with gear or your bike for the weekend.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

I've seen and read through the second one to help me with my build at first and i think ive heard of the first one referenced in a couple of threads.

ok if anything ill get the lift setup and see how much actual lift i have.

When i get back in the states im going to start saving up but this is going to be a year or two down the road at the shortest.

Heard good reviews about the fox shocks and heard theyre better for faster offroading which is what i prefer to do if anything and i like how they can upgrade to the other versions.

for the gears i read on some forums here people enjoyed 5.13 for 35s. They said they preffered it more than a lower(number wise) gear

Im going to use a motorcycle as a DD and really only use the jeep as a bad weather car or winter car. As far as the ride goes they said it was bumpier but that was without armor for some.

If i were to go with a airbag system do you have a recommended brand or are they all pretty much the same quality
Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

I found this thorugh a quick search didnt know if this is what you mean by airbag suspension or if you meant one that replaces the springs as well.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehic...angler/2012/#l
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you want upgradeable shocks then you need to go with rebuildable shocks, I think bilstein makes the 5160 as rebuildable. In regards to high speed- you'll want a reservoir shock to keep the oil cool. If you're going that "Baja" route then you'll also need some high quality hydraulic bumpstops.

5.13 is recommended for the 3.8 and 35's, your pentastar makes enough power to where that deep of gear could be too much.

That is the air bag company I was referencing. You'll have your coils installed and give them a call with your ID of the coils as well as a height and they'll get you straight. I had a set for my factory coils and it made a huge difference any time you put a trailer on it with a load.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK 2 door overlander setup advice