Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Lift Problems

Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't see how it would rotate with just one bolt not in
Not ttrying to argue at all either just trying to help. The bracket only has three bolts that hold it onto the axle. With it missing one it did not complete the triangle. Thus allowing it to rotate.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ZJ had some Wobble (it's a scary thing on an overpass...believe me ).

Some "Toe Out" is what I was missing (can't be aligned like stock). I've got adjustable trac-bars front and back...relocation brackets...everything... and the only thing that helped was adj. the "toe".

I know that you've had a problem with the bracket but maybe this will help if your wobble doesn't go away completly.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261532

This was one of my very first articles for ORC, years ago. I find its still fairly relevent. Your case does sound like the track bar and associated brackets are the key, but don't rule out some of these other suggestions in the article. I got the DW a half dozen times in my TJ and generally hunting down these 5 areas I list tended to solve it every time. The JK is a slightly different beast though, I might have to revise my article for JK owners. The steering is different particularly which really does change the toe-in dynamics from lifting a TJ. Hope something on here helps. I know its down right "pants wetting" scarry on fast roads.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I experienced another small wobble this morning going 40mph to work. Now I am a bit concerned because I have since removed the relocation bracket. I reinstalled the stock track bar to the original factory mount. My steering stabilizer is still damaged however (I’m picking up a new one this afternoon). Could that be still causing it to wobble? Now I am really concerned. What else could be causing this to continue? I looked at the top mount for the track bar (connecting to the frame) and it looks perfect. from what i have learned here i should only be having some tracking issues now at speeds because of the shift in axle slightly over. what am i missing here??
Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by "northridge4x4
The bracket only has three bolts that hold it onto the axle. With it missing one it did not complete the triangle. Thus allowing it to rotate.
I'd have to agree with this statement. The 4th bolt, the one on the bracket itself that your track bar bolts up to would not count as it doesn't secure itself to the axle mount at all. And, without the last bolt on the furthest side, you will have significantly compromised the strength of the bracket.

Originally Posted by xravn
Ok I experienced another small wobble this morning going 40mph to work. Now I am a bit concerned because I have since removed the relocation bracket. I reinstalled the stock track bar to the original factory mount. My steering stabilizer is still damaged however (I’m picking up a new one this afternoon). Could that be still causing it to wobble? Now I am really concerned. What else could be causing this to continue? I looked at the top mount for the track bar (connecting to the frame) and it looks perfect. from what i have learned here i should only be having some tracking issues now at speeds because of the shift in axle slightly over. what am i missing here??
Well, as I mentioned before, doojer's toe-in was off from the factory and enough so that his tread is already starting to scallop pretty bad. Have you checked this yet? Not that a lift would alter your toe-in on a JK due to it's steering design but with bigger tires and a caster that is off, it may be a factor now.

As far as your steering dampener goes, it would not be the source of your wobble.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok so the dampener doesn't help cause it. ok that is a slight relief. i still have the stock tires on though, the tiny wrangler 16's stock with the x. so bigger tires isn't a factor now, unless the small tires are being a factor? i didn't have any issues like this before the lift, so i can only assume something with the lift altered something.

as far as the toe in i have to assume that when they aligned it, it was looked at i could be wrong of course but i remember the guy mentioning something about it being unadjustible and is at 1 or -1 something like that. so am i looking at upper control arms now to elimate this wobble? that isn't even a part of the econo kit. again is my jk the exception to the rule with something off that is requireing all these additional parts to drive and function correctly?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i installed the steering stablizer yesturday, to replace the broken stock one. and everything is handling great now. the wobble is gone. all i can assume is the broken stablizer which was non-functioning was allowing too much play or shake in the steering letting it start the wobble. this is after i put the track bar back to its original location. with the track bar in its original location and the steering stablizer damaged it still wobbled a little did it twice small.

still waiting on the adjustible track bar to fix the tracking which i don't really notice. and going to have it realigned when its put in. have 6months to realign as much as i want so i may as well use it.

just wanted to convey my status and thank all who helped and gave suggestions. Especially the link to the website on death wobble. helped in understanding what was going on. again hope no one has to go through this experiance.

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Problems