Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Stabilizer

Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer

Looking for a steering stabilizer, is SKYJACKER the only company that sells one? Can you really tell the diffrence when using one?????
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jangle
Looking for a steering stabilizer, is SKYJACKER the only company that sells one? Can you really tell the diffrence when using one?????
The Wrangler comes with one already... The Skyjacker unit is just beefier I guess, valved differently (more dampening). Are you running larger tires on your Sahara?

-E
Old 01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you experiencing steering issues with your Jeep? If not, I have a hard time believing that you'd even need a new steering stabilizer or that one would even make a real difference on your Jeep.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Teraflex makes one as well. I was talking to a local shop and they 'highly reccomended' going this route with the lift. Could be BS but these are so cheap I would not think they would push for it that hard unless they saw some need.

If anyone has lifted at least 3" without one and then added, would like to hear input on any difference when added.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKMAN
I believe Teraflex makes one as well. I was talking to a local shop and they 'highly reccomended' going this route with the lift. Could be BS but these are so cheap I would not think they would push for it that hard unless they saw some need.
Did they happen to mention why?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed one on mine with my tires but only cause I had to do something. My tires were riding in the ruts in the asphalt and it felt like I had no control over the Jeep. I scared myself a few times on the trip over to 4WD. I think it made a huge difference and if you look at the factory stabilizer I had to laugh cause it looks like a straw.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks 04drblur, that was basicly the same response as the shop, they said it makes a huge difference and well worth it, best mod when lifting for not much cash. I have always had one on my past XJ's when I lifted them and did at time of lift so could not say a 'before, after' difference.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 04DrBlur
I installed one on mine with my tires but only cause I had to do something. My tires were riding in the ruts in the asphalt and it felt like I had no control over the Jeep. I scared myself a few times on the trip over to 4WD. I think it made a huge difference and if you look at the factory stabilizer I had to laugh cause it looks like a straw.
But... did the steering stabilizer really fix whatever problem you were having with the handling of your Jeep or did it just mask it? Let me ask you, how big/wide are your tires, how much lift do you have, did you install an adjustable front track bar and did you make sure that your caster angle was set properly?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKMAN
Thanks 04drblur, that was basicly the same response as the shop, they said it makes a huge difference and well worth it, best mod when lifting for not much cash. I have always had one on my past XJ's when I lifted them and did at time of lift so could not say a 'before, after' difference.
Yes, a new heavy duty steering dampener will make a huge difference in hiding most of the steering problems you will have if you don't properly correct your suspension/steering after installing a lift.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

305/70/16. Roughly 12 inch wide. I only had the 3/4 spacer in the front at that time. Yes it helped alot. I since then have installed the 2" BB and did not use the track bar relocation bracket and it is almost back to stock handling wise. I am goin to instal the relocation bracket and the 3/4 spacer in addition to the budget boost and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer