Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33" or 35" tall Tires. Undecided.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33" or 35" tall Tires. Undecided.

First and foremost I apologize if this thread has been created in the wrong location and furthermore I apologize for making a thread on which tire size to go with. Since this issue has been brought up again and again.

I own a 2009 Jeep JK, X 2dr.

Current specs:

GoodYear DuraTrac 265/70-17 ( true weighted size is around 31" )
New Exhaust ( old one kinda got crushed at Moab last year )
Flat Fenders
1.5 Tera Flex Leveling Kit(coils, overall lift of 2")
17" American Racing Wheels( 4" backspace )
3.73 Gear Ratio.
Auto transmission.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583_zpsb7d6f464.jpg
Views:	1909
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	400532
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501_zpsa6c1253b.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	400533

first Question:
With all the research I have done I am now confused when people say "35s really do need 5.13 gear ratio, for the auto". Do they mean a true size 35? ( meaning when it is weighed down on the car it is 35".) Because the Toyo A/T IIs 35s true size, not weighted, is 34.5 and when weighted it is around 33.5-8. Does that mean this is more like a 33 and should be "live-able" with a 3.73 auto or when people talk about 35s are they assuming in the true size?

Second Question:
In pursuing the answer to my first question is the assumption that 35s relate to their true size. And knowing that re-gearing should and must be done. "Would YOU go to 35s and re-gear when you can afford it."

This is the main question, simply because I do not want to go to 33s just to be disappointed and be overcome with envi that i end up selling them and moving to 35s.

Thank you for you time and patience. And Enjoy the Holidays!!!!!!

Last edited by Madpenguin; 12-21-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Madpenguin
First and foremost I apologize if this thread has been created in the wrong location and furthermore I apologize for making a thread on which tire size to go with. Since this issue has been brought up again and again.

I own a 2009 Jeep JK, X 2dr.

Current specs:

GoodYear DuraTrac 265/70-17 ( true weighted size is around 31" )
New Exhaust ( old one kinda got crushed at Moab last year )
Flat Fenders
1.5 Tera Flex Leveling Kit(coils, overall lift of 2")
17" American Racing Wheels( 4" backspace )
3.73 Gear Ratio.
Auto transmission.

Attachment 400532
Attachment 400533

first Question:
With all the research I have done I am now confused when people say "35s really do need 5.13 gear ratio, for the auto". Do they mean a true size 35? ( meaning when it is weighed down on the car it is 35".) Because the Toyo A/T IIs 35s true size, not weighted, is 34.5 and when weighted it is around 33.5-8. Does that mean this is more like a 33 and should be "live-able" with a 3.73 auto or when people talk about 35s are they assuming in the true size?

Second Question:
In pursuing the answer to my first question is the assumption that 35s relate to their true size. And knowing that re-gearing should and must be done. "Would YOU go to 35s and re-gear when you can afford it."

This is the main question, simply because I do not want to go to 33s just to be disappointed and be overcome with envi that i end up selling them and moving to 35s.

Thank you for you time and patience. And Enjoy the Holidays!!!!!!
I ran 35's with 3.21 gears for a year. It was not horrible. I would get the 35's and then regear later if you feel you must. I bought 33's first and was very disappointed with them, ended up selling them at a loss and going to 35's. There was not a huge difference for me between the performance of 35's and 33's. (I do have a stick)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too went from 33s to 35s within the matter of a few short months.. didn't take much of a loss on my tires though, but I couldn't stand seeing guys with 35s park next to me. I felt so insufficient, haha. But honestly. You won't regret going 35. I run 3.73 and its tolerable.. enough so that I can wait to gather gears and a locker for awhile and be fine.

Oh ya, mine is standard tranny though.

Last edited by MangoWilly; 12-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the quick replies. You both have confirmed my beliefs of 33s. Because I already feel inadequate when I park beside another jeeper with 35s with my 31s (being Generous with 31 ....)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torrin

I ran 35's with 3.21 gears for a year. It was not horrible. I would get the 35's and then regear later if you feel you must. I bought 33's first and was very disappointed with them, ended up selling them at a loss and going to 35's. There was not a huge difference for me between the performance of 35's and 33's. (I do have a stick)
I did the same thing. I have a2012 jku with 3.73 6 speed. Had 33a on stock suspension, then added a two inch lift, and a month later went to 35... Toto AT IIs. Sold my 33a at a loss.

Happy with how it rides and won't regear anytime soon. It'll be a little different with the 3.8 vs the 3.6 performance wise, but save yourself the trouble and do it right the first time. Pics of both the 33s and 35s in my profile. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Madpenguin
first Question:
When looking at rpm/gearing charts, you should go by the actual tire size mounted at normal street air pressure. I never heard of a tire being true to its advertised size. So as a rule, you can freely subtract 1" from advertised size. My Goodyear MTR/K tires are actually 33.75" (as entered in Superchips), even though advertised they are a "35 inch" tire. Regardless, 5.13 is a desired gear ratio to run advertised 35's (on 3.8L auto).

Second Question:
Regearing for a 35 is really optional and a matter of personal taste. It's not mandatory by any means. You can definitely regear later down the road if you wish. You will only get 1st gear back, nothing else. Highway driving on stock 3.73 gears will actually not be compromised at all. You will run less rpm if you regear to 5.13 though. So it's actually more of a step backwards for highway driving.

Go with 35's. You run a great risk of regretting your choice of 33's, as you can tell from the majority of those that went with 33's initially. Unless you count every penny for gas, I don't really see a reason not to go to 35's.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to 35's from stock. I still have the stock 4:10 ratio but am a 4 door.

Sure, she is no speed demon and you will notice a loss in power but the big tires help out on the trail and look awesome!

Also, going slow on the open road ensures everyone will get to see how awesome your Jeep is with those big ol' meats on there!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are even considering 35's, then get them. You will more than likely regret it if you don't. Also grab a pro cal or tuner to calibrate for the larger tires, this is very important on the autos
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

youll only regret getting bigger tires when you: Get bigger rims and go off road with high rims and not enough of a sidewall and when you fill up at the pump. best of luck
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went from 33s to 35s this week and all I can say is WOW! Don't even consider 33s. I have a 2010 with 4.10s. Driving around town isn't too bad. On the hwy and in a head wind it really sucks though. I suggest going to 35s and if you feel the need to regear than go ahead.

Quick Reply: 33" or 35" tall Tires. Undecided.