Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

34 inch tires

Old 12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If/when I re-gear I will probably end up with 4.56, but it's a tough choice since the 3.73's work fine right now. Granted more power would be nice but I've driven from Indiana to Cap Cod and back, to the Florida panhandle and back a few times, and now I'm in Virginia. The only problems I've had were in the mountains and on moderate grades. In those situations I put it in 5th and -once- I had to go to 4th, but I blame the toll booth for that one, I had no momentum. New gears would be nice, but so would a better lift or bumpers and a winch.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Play with it some more. How about stock 3.73's and 32" tires, going to 35's. Pretty common setup, right? It says to go to 4.08. (we'll call it 4.10, which is the stock rubi ratio). Accurate? Not even close. The 'low' gear choice is 4.45. (we'll call it 4.56, since that is available for the JK). Again, is that accurate? Not even close for my unlimited auto.

How about 3.21's and 29" tires, going to 35's? It recommends 3.87, and a low of 4.22. Accurate? Nope. The only JK it is remotely close to is a 'manual' rubicon. So should auto rubi's and any other gear/tire combination spend their money based on that info?

That is a generic calculator that has absolutely nothing to do with the engine or transmissions on the JK...
U proved my point.. it has nothing to do with motor and tranny. It is strictly tire and gears. Original post was asking about tire to gear change, on 35's most rigs will do fine on 456 or 488's, if u talking 6 speed manual u may have to go a touch lower due to the xtra gear.

My case 31's with 373's (3speed auto) to 35's rounded up is 456's. Would work fine. Wasn't talking motor and tranny in the first place. If u read I said adjust as needed..which means depending on ur tranny set up u will need to go higher or lower

U talk like I ment that is the answer to all.. which is nowhere close to what my first post was about.

That thing is ment to be used as a guide only... and anyone should be able to figure that out
Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My case 31's with 373's (3speed auto) to 35's rounded up is 456's. Would work fine.
I would guess that about 99% of auto JK owners would disagree with that. Would those gears be a good option for an older jeep with the high output inline 6? Maybe. But for a jk, with the jk's engine? Nope.
on 35's most rigs will do fine on 456 or 488's, if u talking 6 speed manual u may have to go a touch lower due to the xtra gear.
4.56's will get a 'manual' on 35's back near a stock ratio. Those gears are hard to come by, which is why most 'manual' guys on 35's recommend 4.88's. Going a touch lower to 5.13's raises the freeway rpm's more, so driving style will come into play there. Or did you mean a touch lower the other way, which is back to factory 4.10s?

Again, you can't use generic charts or past experience with a JK. The engine and transmission ratios are different...
Old 12-23-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKUnlimitedX
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...m('R')

Go to this page on Jeep's website, click on the Send Us and Email link, and fill out the info. Just tell them you bought it used and you'd like a build sheet. They should get back to you in a few days. It saved me a lot of trouble!
Thank you!!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

I would guess that about 99% of auto JK owners would disagree with that. Would those gears be a good option for an older jeep with the high output inline 6? Maybe. But for a jk, with the jk's engine? Nope.

4.56's will get a 'manual' on 35's back near a stock ratio. Those gears are hard to come by, which is why most 'manual' guys on 35's recommend 4.88's. Going a touch lower to 5.13's raises the freeway rpm's more, so driving style will come into play there. Or did you mean a touch lower the other way, which is back to factory 4.10s?

Again, you can't use generic charts or past experience with a JK. The engine and transmission ratios are different...
Mine is a 98 tj.. and generally speaking that calculater would work fine...that Bing said I'f theres something different with the newer rigs that I'm not aware of, then props to u on the correction

Yeah I ment a touch lower, as in higher the number the lower the gear

Last edited by biggreen71; 12-23-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know how you guys on 35's can live with stock gearing. I have 5.38s with stock tires and it is very nice. Now I am re-thinking the 35s I wanted. Probably get them anyway, the wife wants it to look "beefier".
Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by biggreen71
Mine is a 98 tj.. and generally speaking that calculater would work fine...that Bing said I'f theres something different with the newer rigs that I'm not aware of, then props to u on the correction

Yeah I ment a touch lower, as in higher the number the lower the gear
Lol, that's the issue. This is a JK forum - gearing advice based on a TJ will be incorrect, particularly for those of us with auto's. The engines and gearing are that different.

-How many TJ guys with auto's and 35's are running 5.38's? For a JK, on the other hand, it is quite common - as I mentioned earlier, I would be totally pissed off if my drivetrain guy talked me into wasting $1500 on 4.56's or 4.88's...
Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Venom19
Thank you!!!!
Anytime!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jerseyjkredneck
I know abunch of people who run 35's without regearing and just throw a programmer on it with a cold air intake and it runs fine. Its obviuosly a little more sluggish than factory but barely noticeable
This is the stage I'm at...I want 35's on my Jeep, don't want to pay for regearing. I am looking into getting the cold air intake, and have been told about this program, but not exactly sure what it is or how to obtain it. I am not a crazy off roader, I do trails and the beach down in Brigantine, but love the look of jeeps with 35's on them. I have a 2" spacer lift with what I thought were gonna 33's but actually measure 31½" and to me it looks way to small of tire for the Jeep. Even though I just got them, my wife is gracing me with more monies (lol) to get the Jeep where I want it. But when I threw the regearing in there, she wasn't quite as understanding. So that's why your comment on this post caught my eye. I am new to this forum and to the Jeep "world". Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

#1 - Don't get a Cold Air intake. I have wheeled in the pine barrens and you WILL encounter deep water on the trails and your cold air intake can put you at risk to damage your jeep badly. - Don't do it!!! You'll not only suck in water, but superfine sand too and then your engine is done! Also a waist of $300 that you could be using towards new gears and lockers. Trust me! Most people in your area who take their jeeps off road regularly have snorkels for this reason.

#2 - You can look up your vin on the internet and pull your original build sheet. Because you have a stick, I am sure you can live with 35's for sometime. If you do have 3.21gears and get 35's it's still the SAME ratio as a stock JK with 32's, automatic, and 3.73's. So yes you'll be slower, but that is how my jeep came to me, it's not a deal killer.

#3 - Programmer, I don't see why you need one. I have owned both Superchips, and currently run a Diablo Tuner, but mostly for proper shifting points. I wouldn't spend your money on this either as you have a stick, just save for lockers and gears. These tuners are grossly overpriced nowadays.

Hey, if you listen to me I just saved you $500.00 on crap that will have a marginal effect on the jeep, about half the cost of gears from Globex4x4 out in Tom's River.

My 2 cents anyway.

Quick Reply: 34 inch tires