Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 spline?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocknredrubi
So would chromo rear shafts be a waste without replacing the locker? More specifically, would the factory rubi locker be the weak link?
I dont believe so, as WOL has said before he has broken 2 in 40,000 miles with some of the hardest offroading you can do. Chromo axles will pretty much bring the dana44 rubi generation two axle to ultimate awesomeness. WOL is not light on his vehicles so I dont believe its worth the upgrade unless you contunually break it. I have found a rubi locker for 300 bucks so if it ever did its a cheap fix concerning lockers.

In other words yes it would be the weak link but your asking a dana 44 to do things a dana 60 or dana 80 is supposed to do. Remember this dana 44 in the JK has dana 60 sized parts. Dont underestimate the rubi dana 44. There are guys running 40's on these axles!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. I dont think I underestimate the new gen 44. I just like to keep in mind what to upgrade as the $$$ allows - best bang for the buck sort of thing.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor

The "X" 44 have equal lenght axles, the Rubi 44 does not. The major spline diameter of the 32 spline Rubi 44 is the same as the 30 spline "X" 44. The minor diameter on the 32 spline Rubi 44 is a little bigger, not by much. I would say the axle strenght between the two is very similar with the Rubi having a slight advantage!!!!

When you go from a 30 spline to a 35 spline you are looking at a 56% increase in strenght...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
When you go from a 30 spline to a 35 spline you are looking at a 56% increase in strenght...
If its chromoly then yes. The extra splines help but chromoly is where most of the strenth comes from. When you see broken axles they break at the thinest part of the axle not the splines.

Comparatively an X dana 44 with 35 spline chromoly would be about equal to that of a Rubi alxe with 32 spline chromoly. So for me chromoly is all I will end up with when the time comes but for the X guys go with the 35 spline chromoly!!!

Last edited by JulietKilo; 12-08-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
If its chromoly then yes. The extra splines help but chromoly is where most of the strenth comes from. When you see broken axles they break at the thinest part of the axle not the splines.

Comparatively an X dana 44 with 35 spline chromoly would be about equal to that of a Rubi alxe with 32 spline chromoly. So for me chromoly is all I will end up with when the time comes but for the X guys go with the 35 spline chromoly!!!

Just because the axle spline count is bigger it does not mean the shaft diamater is bigger. That is the case with the Rubi 32 spline vs. "x" 30 spline, the major diameter of both is the same. A 35 spline shaft on a 44 "X" will be stronger than the 32 spline Rubi
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
Just because the axle spline count is bigger it does not mean the shaft diamater is bigger. That is the case with the Rubi 32 spline vs. "x" 30 spline, the major diameter of both is the same. A 35 spline shaft on a 44 "X" will be stronger than the 32 spline Rubi
I think I wasnt clear. Splines have nothing to do with axle shaft diameter. I agree. I meant Chromoly is what makes the shafts strong then stock.

Let me give an example. On my TJ I had the dana 35 crap axle it had 27 splines from the factory.

27 spline stock steel axle = strong (ran 33's all day long)
27 spline warn chromoly axle in the same housing (very strong running 35's)
30 spline yukon gear axle in the same housing (allowed detroit locker with 30 splines much stronger)

The thing is from my experience the strenth that I have seen is from the metal quality, process and of course alloy. Namely Chromoly

Splines are great with the right carrier creating a stronger fit to the locker/spiders but the alloy is where it is at.

32 spline chromoly dana 44 rubi axle is about the same as a 35 spline dana 44 X axle. In that they both use alloy and ROLLED splines. I would put money that they would break near the same torque torture test.

Anyone that says otherwise is splitting hairs but I cant blame you its about sales and the almighty signature spec sheet. Cause if I am running 35 splines I am better than you.

But seriously david... Currie is an AWESOME manufacturer and they make great products some of which may be on my Jeep someday. Not busting your balls just making my point about chromoly.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

so 35 spline chromo in my x rear and a rubi 44 in the front should be fine for 38's? I only go off road maybe 4-6 times a year. it's mostly sand and hills and mud no rocks and only alittle off camber stuff.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brianb1222
so 35 spline chromo in my x rear and a rubi 44 in the front should be fine for 38's? I only go off road maybe 4-6 times a year. it's mostly sand and hills and mud no rocks and only alittle off camber stuff.
For your needs that is plenty!!

Quick Reply: 35 spline?