Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35s and Stock Gears

Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
You've obviously regeared since then. You were doing at least 85mph and passing everyone heading down the the Seekonk the other month. Eff it, I'm going with 35s too.
got mine for sale, if you are interested. I actually had 3.73s then too lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know if this helps but im running 35s on my 2door x with stock gears and superchips. before the superchip, it ran like crap. the transmission was allover the place and was very sluggish. i tuned it with "tow tune" and put the tire size and gear size in. now its very responsive aand shifts perfect.. i just have to ride with OD off.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, from my research it seems everyone has to drive without OD, being my wife drives it alot on the hwy i think im going to go with 33's and a Rustys Offroad 2 or 3 inch lift. Bigger mods will come when the warranty gets close running out. Shoot it dosent even have 5k miles yet
Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_T_Shirt
Yeah, from my research it seems everyone has to drive without OD, being my wife drives it alot on the hwy i think im going to go with 33's and a Rustys Offroad 2 or 3 inch lift.
For OD Off, find your OD On rpm's on the chart and then divide by .69. (3.73's with 35's and OD Off is actually a decent freeway rpm.) As far as the downsides go, yes, it will be a little more wear and tear than having proper gearing, but you 'should not' have any issues.

If you want to play it a little safer, talk to your dealership and get their opinion. Some will use a regear as an excuse to deny drivetrain warranty work, and others will actually want you to regear to lower the stress.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2007 2door and my 35 BFG's AT's drive and handle just fine.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When offroading in low range you would not have any issues with the 35s. The only issue would be on the street. I have a manual and 35s with 3.73s and can run 6th gear as long as I am not going up hills into the wind or up steep hills regardless of the wind.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 35" km2's with 3.21 gears... driving around town kinda sucks, but I'm not out to race everybody. Mild to moderate crawling has left me with no impressions or desire to regear... basically, I don't see a need to regear for crawling reasons.

I'll regear eventually, but it's not on the short list of things to do.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad at all on-road with the AEV procal.. Not bad at all on the highway with OD off either. While I'm not overly impressed with the power in the 40-50mph range its not too bad. I thought regear was an absolute after reading a gazillion posts.. But once the reality was here regear is a a number of mods down the list.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

So i started out with an 07 unlimited, non rubi auto with 410's on 35's, At first it was a joke to drive with OD on so I would run with it off and the trans was always searching for the right gear. I then added the superchips flashpaq and found the best tune to be the tow tune, and tiresize corrected. The flashpaq helped alot but the heep was still a slug and if it was uphill or without a tailwind she would slow down on her own and then downshift to gain speed again. So after thinking about it for awhile I decided it was time to gear down. I chose 513's based on info from this forum and ordered a complete kit from northridge for $500.00 and some other goodies. I found a local shop that quoted me a max of $400 to install. I picked the heep up two days later. The installer ran into some issues with a couple bolts spinning in the rear that took some extra time to get out, but the drive home was the best I ever had. At cruising speed of 60mph I am around 2k rpms and I am able to accelerate from there to pass a car without it downshifting. I also gained so far about .5 mpg increase and am up to 15.5mpg. That is my experience and I would recommend regearing as some of the best money spent.

Last edited by JKOIIIOJK; 05-02-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ludski
$400 for install!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!! :o
Yeah. Problem?

Quick Reply: 35s and Stock Gears