Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37" MTR kevlars?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" MTR kevlars?

Ok I'm thinking about buying 37" MTR K's because my 35" km2's are just to small but I like that they are a light tire. Ive heard good reviews on the MTR's for the most part and they seem pretty light for a 37" tire at 76 lbs or so.
They are going on my daily driver JKU with
3.5" RK X factor lift
4:88 gears. I wheel it about once or twice a month.

My question is I've heard people having balancing issues with these tires? Saying they take tons of weights to get balanced? I'm already having balancing issues with my km2's so I don't want to run into that problem again.
Any opinions on these tires are welcome and how are they on the highway?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Same exact situation here. I am getting my 37 mtr/k put on today. I've heard the same things that you said. I read somewhere that things have gotten better with them.

I am going with them because true size and they are light like you said. For the most part they have excellent reviews and are cheaper.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
Ok I'm thinking about buying 37" MTR K's because my 35" km2's are just to small but I like that they are a light tire. Ive heard good reviews on the MTR's for the most part and they seem pretty light for a 37" tire at 76 lbs or so. They are going on my daily driver JKU with 3.5" RK X factor lift 4:88 gears. I wheel it about once or twice a month. My question is I've heard people having balancing issues with these tires? Saying they take tons of weights to get balanced? I'm already having balancing issues with my km2's so I don't want to run into that problem again. Any opinions on these tires are welcome and how are they on the highway?
I went from 35" KM2s to 35" Kevlars. I will tell you, Kevlars are a PITA to balance. It was ridiculous on how many wheel weights were on my wheels. A lot of guys use Dyna beads or other such products with good results..
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for a couple months. Zero issues balancing. Here is how much weight was used for each of my wheels (most to least): 6oz, 3oz, 3oz, .25oz. Very little. No issues driving, roll nice and straight.

What I will note, but don't have any actual data on this: I ordered 5 tires, 4 came from one place, and 1 from another. The 4 that came together were manufactured in 2013, the other was 2012. I mounted them to ATX Slab beadlocks. The 2013 tires were slightly different and mounted with ease. The 2012 tire was a total beast to install. The lock ring also sits further out than all the other tires. Hard to say what exactly was different, but it appeared the mold had been changed/improved (at least the bead). I haven't had the spare balanced yet as it came a few days later and I haven't stopped to have it done yet.

Other than that, they are much louder and ride rougher than my Duratracs did, but I assumed that would be the case.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
I went from 35" KM2s to 35" Kevlars. I will tell you, Kevlars are a PITA to balance. It was ridiculous on how many wheel weights were on my wheels. A lot of guys use Dyna beads or other such products with good results..
It seems to be hit or miss with these tires. My 35's would not balance so I sold them. I've heard better things with newer 37s, which I was thinking of trying, but I just can't after my experience with the 35's, plus they aren't very good in snow.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

My 35" MTRs were easy to balance. Took them to sears to mount and balance. I told them I heard they were tough - the kid that did it said he had no issues and was done in less than an hour.

I have put 12k miles on them, all of which have been trouble free and I've never had to rebalance them since day 1.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had issues balancing my 37's until I found dynamic balancing beads. 10 ounces in each of my tires and it rides super smooth. Bonus, you don't have to worry about losing wheels weights off-roading. You can find them at innovative balancing on the net. Hope this helps
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just made this exact switch about a month ago. Yes they take a lot of weight to balance but I feel like that's all relative. After all its 5" taller than the stockers that people use as a baseline for comparison and they probably weigh close to double? Not really surprising that it takes what it does to balance them.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dyna beads never heard of them. I have equal balancing sand in my km2's and it's awful still get vibes all the time. And the guys at the balancing shop said they couldn't balance my km2's with weights, that's why they used sand. I hope the dyna beads are better then the sand. But hopefully just weights will do it for me with MTR's
Thanks for the responses so far everyone!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
Dyna beads never heard of them. I have equal balancing sand in my km2's and it's awful still get vibes all the time. And the guys at the balancing shop said they couldn't balance my km2's with weights, that's why they used sand. I hope the dyna beads are better then the sand. But hopefully just weights will do it for me with MTR's
Thanks for the responses so far everyone!
Sand is bad as it is a bitch to get rid of and clogs/clumps when it absorbs moisture. Beads are better, but not too good at higher speeds off road where you hit a hard bump and everything gets unbalanced. Best to get tires that balance easily in the first place. Like I said, it's hit or miss with the Kevlars, so maybe get the shop selling them to you to guarantee they balance within limits or they replace them. Even then, sometimes mine seemed to be worse after sitting for awhile and in cold weather.

Quick Reply: 37" MTR kevlars?