Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tires and 2.5" BB lift - WORST RIDING JEEP EVER!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I'll try 12~14psi, although my 35"s don't spin with 16, and very rarely spin with 20psi. Maybe it's because I generally tend to ease the Jeep through obstacles rather than "attack" them.
Same here man. As little throttle as possible wins
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is easier to crawl an obstacle with lower psi.

So it is just the opposite of what you guys are thinking.

Guys who go to Moab and don't air down to 8-12psi or less have to hit the obstacles harder because they have less traction. They are more likely to break stuff and have a rougher, more jarring ride with higher psi.

Guys who do sand, mud, or deep snow with higher psi levels have their tires dig deeper--until they are stuck down to their axles or frame. With less psi, the tires have a longer contact pattern, more traction, don't dig themselves holes, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
It is easier to crawl an obstacle with lower psi.

So it is just the opposite of what you guys are thinking.

Guys who go to Moab and don't air down to 8-12psi or less have to hit the obstacles harder because they have less traction. They are more likely to break stuff and have a rougher, more jarring ride with higher psi.

Guys who do sand, mud, or deep snow with higher psi levels have their tires dig deeper--until they are stuck down to their axles or frame. With less psi, the tires have a longer contact pattern, more traction, don't dig themselves holes, etc.
There's no disagreement, I said exactly the same:

"I can't imagine a need for 4-12psi, unless for extreme rock crawling, deep soft snow, etc'.
I can understand the 14psi that kh202 mentions, as it's near the 16psi I use as minimum for tough trails
."
Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely got shafted on the sway bars, you are going to need longer ones front and rear now. I have the 2.5" BB spacer lift but bought longer shocks instead of using the shock adapters, maybe that has something to do with the harshness.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheneymatthews
Thanks for the suggestions fellas... White-JKU, KH202, Tchap, Bombout. Not sure what's with some of the comments about the tire not being on the carrier or mentions of "go get a cadillac" if you want a soft ride.

Tires were balanced before I bolted them on. They just used weights, but spoke about how beads may be an option, but "aren't an exact science" and make cause issues due to the fact Murphy's soap was used to seat the bead. Typically my exposure with tire balancing produces a consistent wobble/vibration. Alignment sounds about right as it would still have factory alignment.

Previous tires were 33x12.5... so why would the same width of a tire cause so many issues. I get the sidewall discrepancy and how a smaller sidewall will make for a firmer ride, however my problem is the erratic behaviour over bumps, where the Jeep is hyper-reactionary to rather benign bumps/holes/dips in the road. The smallest bump makes the jeep spasm as if we've just hit a wash-board section.. and this is on pavement going 50-60km/h (35mph?).

I can afford to toss on a (3-3.5" spring lift), I just want to hear from you guys what all needs to be in the package so I'm not constantly fighting the same demons. Some of you have really helped me fine tune the next step... appreciate it. Here's pics of the previous setup.Attachment 505821Attachment 505822Attachment 505823Attachment 505824Attachment 505825
Don't listen to the negative comments on here - the helpful guys are great unfortuntaley you have guys like white JKU that know it all, want to tell you how to spend your money, etc….the good news, most of the time that dude is also this dude:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	525408  
Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha!!! That's me ^ rofl

Quick Reply: 37" tires and 2.5" BB lift - WORST RIDING JEEP EVER!