Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" tires and 2.5" BB lift - WORST RIDING JEEP EVER!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same suspension principles but certainly a difference in how a wide fire behaves on a live axle JK versus a Ferrari. I still don't think it's a valid comparison. His ride is crappy because he is running low profile 20" rims.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Same suspension principles but certainly a difference in how a wide fire behaves on a live axle JK versus a Ferrari. I still don't think it's a valid comparison. His ride is crappy because he is running low profile 20" rims.
No, his IMAGE is crappy because of the low profile tires on big rims :o (kidding here )
Old 10-19-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
No, his IMAGE is crappy because of the low profile tires on big rims :o (kidding here )
In that case, photoshopping the image should cure the ride... ( here too... )
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Let's see how he solves it -- that will be a fact which no one can argue with...
Yes, those tires contribute their share, but can't be the only reason for the extreme situation the OP describes.

When crossing a slowing bump head on, live axle or independent susp' alone, won't make such a difference.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Explain how suspension will help a guy get a flat tread contact when he is running a 12" wide wheel on a tire that is 10" wide at the bead.

With load range E tires that are designed to be run on a full size truck that weighs 2-3k lbs more than a JK, and those tires are designed to allow the truck to pull a 15k lbs gooseneck trailer, the JK owner would have to run those tires at 24-26 psi on the street to get a flat tread contact if he had 9-10" wide wheel. What do think will happen when he runs that tire on a 12" wide wheel--2" wider than the width at the bead?
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
12" wide wheel with 12.5" tire is the problem.
Ahh, my wheels are 8" wide..perhaps misread and thought tire width was the concern. Yeah, forget about airing down those suckers.

OP, find some one with stock take offs to see how it handles. (A buddy or someone who won't charge u) to rule out the suspension being the issue. (What I'd do anyway before I just go buy something new)

Last edited by not4mall_crawlin; 10-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Ok... I have to ask......What would posses you to put that tire and wheel combination on a jeep wrangler? Im being totally serious here. All jokes aside. Why put a 20 inch rim on a rubicon? Im sorry but it rides like crap because you have kinda a crappy setup. If i were you i would go down in tire and rime size until you beef up that suspension. I guarantee you are having tire issues as i assume these are incredible hard to balance. These vehicles are not made for huge rims and super thin wide tires. With that being said its not gonna drive like a Cadillac. It isn't a Cadillac...That is where those rimes and tires belong on an escalade bro. I would really rethink your setup and goals here. Please don't take this a me just being a dick I'm just trying to give you some solid advice/ honest opinion here. I cant sugar coat it like the rest of these guys and gals on this particular thread. Good luck
Old 10-20-2013, 02:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wr@ngler00
Ok... I have to ask......What would posses you to put that tire and wheel combination on a jeep wrangler? Im being totally serious here. All jokes aside. Why put a 20 inch rim on a rubicon? Im sorry but it rides like crap because you have kinda a crappy setup. If i were you i would go down in tire and rime size until you beef up that suspension. I guarantee you are having tire issues as i assume these are incredible hard to balance. These vehicles are not made for huge rims and super thin wide tires. With that being said its not gonna drive like a Cadillac. It isn't a Cadillac...That is where those rimes and tires belong on an escalade bro. I would really rethink your setup and goals here. Please don't take this a me just being a dick I'm just trying to give you some solid advice/ honest opinion here. I cant sugar coat it like the rest of these guys and gals on this particular thread. Good luck
most honest post.

get rid of the hoopty wheels and put something good on there, or, buy a 3500 ram and put them on there, that seems to be the alberta way anyways. every "albertian" that comes back here has a truck with insanely wide rims with low profile tires and about a bazillion inch lift. I guess the op was'nt kidding when he said he suffered from little boy complex.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
Explain how suspension will help a guy get a flat tread contact when he is running a 12" wide wheel on a tire that is 10" wide at the bead.

With load range E tires that are designed to be run on a full size truck that weighs 2-3k lbs more than a JK, and those tires are designed to allow the truck to pull a 15k lbs gooseneck trailer, the JK owner would have to run those tires at 24-26 psi on the street to get a flat tread contact if he had 9-10" wide wheel. What do think will happen when he runs that tire on a 12" wide wheel--2" wider than the width at the bead?
In case you're referring to my post -- I agree that the tire/rim combination is problematic in every aspect. However, I'd be very surprised if it's the only problem.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-20-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running a 2.5 BB in my 2012 (for now). It came with 17 inch wheels, I swapped for some 17x9 black steelies and mounted 37x12.50 KM2's. did the chalk test, didn't want to run 26 psi. I run 42 psi and it handles better than stock. I would say either get rid of the 20's or buy a luxury car for the ride you are looking for.

Quick Reply: 37" tires and 2.5" BB lift - WORST RIDING JEEP EVER!