Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yrubuggin
So I have seen lots of profiles showing 37" tires on stock D30's out there with no actual problems, but plenty of people saying it's a doomed setup. Can anyone show me the results of what occurs when this setup fails(and the circumstances that lead to the demise). I think there are plenty of people that can look themself in the mirror and admit that they aren't going to be going to Moab any time soon, (probably lucky to get on a dirt road once a month if they are completely honest). I would be very interested in knowing HOW doomed the setup is, or if it is just doomed because of how it's treated, (I can see needing more support and rigidity if it's going to get banged on), but if it's not going to see much action what will happen?....I'm more interested in real problems that have occured, not a theory of what could happen. Thank you for participation.....
*sigh* I don't know what else to do other that re-post the original post that started this thread. Please read it again and share your experiences of the failure and how it "really" happened. That's all I ever asked for. Im amazed that with all of the posts and views we have only had one guy step up and show us what happened and told us it was the result of excessive force (not the size of the wheel/tire). Come on guys, share with us...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone on this forum (least of which would be you, I've got mad respect for your rig and your experiences- I've followed your posts and your different upgrades since day one of my finding this forum) There is no need to cherry-pick my comments...this is what I said:

.....As for the "need", I think most of us are doing our Jeeps in stages...that being said, if you are new to the hobby and are making your list of upgrades in order many would lead you to believe you need gussets, sleeves, skids or a whole new assembly BEFORE you even consider putting 37s on. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this theory and see if its fact or maybe just a "Myth"......
no need to get all defensive. all i said was to forget the "theory" and "install a set of 37's on your unimproved dana 30 and come wheeling with me... see for yourself just how much of a 'myth' this really is."

My whole intention was to get guys like yourself to shed some light on what the real "needs" are, and what could be defined as "wants".
you'll forgive me but, it would seem clear to me what your "wants" are and that's to be convinced that running 37's on a dana 30 is fine and that the real "needs" guys like me might recommend are nothing but "myths" based on "theory's". and, to that, i say fair enough. i've always thought that the word "need" when it comes to jeep parts was a bit extreme so i say, let's put this to the test, find out just how long your dana 30 will last running 37's wheeling with me and on trails that are perfect for 37's.

As far as going wheeling with you, I think it would be a blast, but if you and others like you that have seen real-world failures say that it is Doomed, I'm going to respect your opinion and plan accordingly. However, this whole discussion really wasn't really directed towards the Rock Warriors, it was meant for the Road Warriors, that may see mild to moderate trail use.
LOL @ "Rock Warriors" but, you don't need to be playing hard on the rocks or even running 37's to damage or break an axle. driving hard and fast on easy desert roads or washes can almost be more abusive.

also, to me, "mild to moderate trail use" means running fire roads maybe 4-6 times a year and hey, there's nothing wrong with that. if most of your time is spent on pavement and the times you go wheeling is on mild to moderate trails only, i think you'll be fine running 37's on your dana 30 but, i'd be willing to bet $20 that your c's will bend within a short amount of time if you don't gusset them up. i challenge you to take me up on that bet. everyone here has seen that i've made it and i promise to pay it up if i'm wrong.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porters
Sometimes a picture is worth 1,000 words.
Ok. Here's a 1,000 more but that's not what im trying to show
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	061511065329.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	171966  
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

no need to get all defensive. all i said was to forget the "theory" and "install a set of 37's on your unimproved dana 30 and come wheeling with me... see for yourself just how much of a 'myth' this really is."

you'll forgive me but, it would seem clear to me what your "wants" are and that's to be convinced that running 37's on a dana 30 is fine and that the real "needs" guys like me might recommend are nothing but "myths" based on "theory's". and, to that, i say fair enough. i've always thought that the word "need" when it comes to jeep parts was a bit extreme so i say, let's put this to the test, find out just how long your dana 30 will last running 37's wheeling with me and on trails that are perfect for 37's.

LOL @ "Rock Warriors" but, you don't need to be playing hard on the rocks or even running 37's to damage or break an axle. driving hard and fast on easy desert roads or washes can almost be more abusive.

also, to me, "mild to moderate trail use" means running fire roads maybe 4-6 times a year and hey, there's nothing wrong with that. if most of your time is spent on pavement and the times you go wheeling is on mild to moderate trails only, i think you'll be fine running 37's on your dana 30 but, i'd be willing to bet $20 that your c's will bend within a short amount of time if you don't gusset them up. i challenge you to take me up on that bet. everyone here has seen that i've made it and i promise to pay it up if i'm wrong.
Trust me, when/if I ever get the coin together to get them you will most likely be one of the first guys I reach out to for help/guidance
Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Here are some more pics...
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see pics of the D30's that have failed running 37's! Come on post up! There's got to be more than one.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess this is what yrubuggin is after. Where are the guys that have had this happen? No one is doubting that you can take a d30 wheeling and break some or many parts of it. 35s 37s 40s whatever. I think what we need is for Dynatrac or G2 or someone to sponsor a test with scientifically measured forces or at the very least subjecting all equipment to the same obstacles/stresses and see what breaks when. That's the only way this will ever get solved to anyone's satisfaction.

Last edited by WCDAVE; 06-15-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miraz
Here are some more pics...
So what happened?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

*sigh* I don't know what else to do other that re-post the original post that started this thread. Please read it again and share your experiences of the failure and how it "really" happened. That's all I ever asked for. Im amazed that with all of the posts and views we have only had one guy step up and show us what happened and told us it was the result of excessive force (not the size of the wheel/tire). Come on guys, share with us...
these pics are of a dana 44 chromoly front axle shaft and rubicon locker. while it isn't a dana 30, i was running 37's at the time. for all those who were present when this break occured, i was NOT spinning my tires, wheel hopping or abusing my jeep when they broke. i was mearly crawling through a tough garden. based on experience, the break had most likely been coming for a while and just through a lot of "USE"...

now, this is what my 5.38 ring & pinion looked like after it decided to go on the dusy. while i was running 40's on a dana 44 rear axle, i wasn't abusing my jeep, i wasn't spinning my wheels or hopping them at the time. "myth" suggested that running 5.38's with its tiny pinion in a dana 44 would be a weak link that would most likely break and, it did after just two months and 9 runs. knowing it would most likely break, i babied by jeep during that time and it still broke. once again, "USE" and a lot of it was the culprit...

now, this here is a broken dana 60 semi-float shaft that we just broke in moab. yes, you heard right, A 60!! sure, we were trying to take on a tough obstacle but nothing out of the real of a 40" tire. and, when it broke, it seemed odd that it took such little effort. looking at the break more carefully, we could see a line of rust along the flange about an 1/8"-1/4" deep which would indicate the shaft had been breaking for some time. again, a lot of "USE" was the culprit.

so let's put your so called "myth" to the test. get a set of 37's installed on your dana 30 and let's use them.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Being fair after reading these posts, would you say you are #9?
No, i wouldnt say that. I babied the shit out of the 30 which is why it didnt break. I could stack quarters on a piece of wet toilet paper if i wanted to, but how many? Maybe one or two, but its gonna break.

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
But still no problems with the 30?
No problems because i got rid of it. If i would wheel it the same as i wheel my 60 it would break in short order.

all i said was to forget the "theory" and "install a set of 37's on your unimproved dana 30 and come wheeling with me... see for yourself just how much of a 'myth' this really is."
I wanted to say this a couple of pages ago.

The bottom line is, put the 37s on the d30 and wheel it, but go easy on the skinny. Know that it could blow up at any second. When it gets blowed up, buy a 60.

Quick Reply: 37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...