Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep

Toyos weigh 10-20 lbs more than most 37's out there.I run these btw.
Good to know. Thank you
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
Slightly off subject... But good question....

Why doesn't jeep just sell a jeep with D60's,35's, simple stubby bumpers, and thick rocker guards? Do like a very basic, simple jeep with good suspension, driveline, and essentials and leave all the fancy stuff out to keep price down. I'm sure they would sell alot of those!
And that's always the question. I believe to the regular jeep wrangler buying community or even the some jeep sales guys talking about d30, 44, 60 is a foreign language. Keeps cost way down doing it the way they do. To a soccer mom seeing a $50k price tag for a d60 with 35s on a wrangler.... They don't see the cost we see. Although never understood how they fork out for a range rover with adjustable lift heights, lockers, and all they gizmos they will NEVER use. When's the last new RR you have seen on a trail? Lol. Okay back on topic
Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yrubuggin

Good to know. Thank you
This weight on 37 vs 35 goes back to thread I think I started awhile back. For every 10 lbs in tire weight essentially adds 100 lbs in vehicle weight according to JP magazine this year. So possibly a light bfg 37 and a heavy Toyo 35 in same weight could have the same effect on a d30? This is in a entire thread argument in itself. Again, back to topic lol

Last edited by SilverJK12; 06-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I too respect and appreciate Dynatrac and WOL's opinions, but at times the thread has drifted from "what will happen if you push a D30 too hard, and how can I avoid it" to "Big boys use big toys so stay at the mall".
for the record, you never got that from me. i personally think all the rhetoric is silly and meaningless. i'd prefer to get you off the computer and push your dana 30 as hard as you're willing with a set of 37's and try your best to keep it from breaking.

The reason I liked the idea of using "Mythbusters" as a theme is because they will go into a "Myth"--(maybe that word has been the biggest problem this whole time)-- with no lean one way or the other, they just deal with the facts and evidence and let the chips fall where they may. At this point, if people don't understand what my OP is asking/proposing they never will.
but, unlike the mythbusters who ACTUALLY PUT THEIR MYTHS TO THE TEST, go out and obtain facts first hand, examine the evidence they collect and let the chips fall where they may, all you seem to be interested in is hearing what everyone else has to say and then judging for yourself what you like hearing and what you don't. funny thing is, that's what a "myth" is - something that someone said happend.

I haven't really got there yet, but I do like the Toyos. What are the differences in regards to this subject. That is another point nobody has brought up yet.
size and weight. toyo's are about as big as they get and as heavy too.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will concur that my responses have come across as dismissive at times, but I don't dismiss the information these guys are sharing(only dismissing the direction the conversation is going). Im trying to keep this thread on point, and keep it from going in a different direction than I intended. The original post I submitted was very direct and asked some very simple questions, but it has morphed into a debate about something entirely different. I too respect and appreciate Dynatrac and WOL's opinions, but at times the thread has drifted from "what will happen if you push a D30 too hard, and how can I avoid it" to "Big boys use big toys so stay at the mall". Hopefully you can appreciate my dilemma.
The reason I liked the idea of using "Mythbusters" as a theme is because they will go into a "Myth"--(maybe that word has been the biggest problem this whole time)-- with no lean one way or the other, they just deal with the facts and evidence and let the chips fall where they may. At this point, if people don't understand what my OP is asking/proposing they never will.
Well stated!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife

Read my statement 2 posts above about this. My complete personal theory is weight is a major factor in 35 vs 37 and on d30. So safe to say a heavy 35 is worse on a d30 than a light 37?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drgreybow
I posed similar question in the form of a poll a while back. I know its a limited dataset, but you can see a trend:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-quot-C-s-quot

Everyone knows you increase the risk of damage the bigger you go, but other than WOL's pics, I'm not seeing a lot of concrete evidence of it actually happening so far. I know that if I blew something up, I'd have about 50 pics of it and wear it like a badge of honor

Here is my interpretation of this thread: Most people take it as fact that you WILL feel a shock if you stick a fork in a power outlet. Can somebody please send me pics of them doing this so I know that it's true.

Does that sound about right?
Here's where my frustration lies at this point, and why it is so hard for me to keep things on point... Guys like NWBRONCO and others early on in this thread where gracious enough to show what they do (via videos and pictures-- "evidence") with this setup. After that, I have been waiting for the guy with a 37s and a D30 (not a D44 or a D60 or a Pr44) that had issues, to do the same (like you said, there should be a few pictures out there. Most guys would be wearing it like a badge of pride). Im thankful to guys like WOL and DYNATRAC and others for chiming in (I have learned a lot in less than 2 days).
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you run 37's on a D30? of course you could run 60" tires is you really wanted too, would I want to? hell no.. The most i'm willing to push a D30 is 35's. over time things will warp, bend and break.. It may take a year or possibly 3 but it's going to happen.

Even with 35" tires if you don't have C gussets installed parts will warp and bend. I've seen it numerous times.

If you are after evidence of D30 axle's breaking just search youtube, there are a ton of videos on the subject.

We pay a pretty decent amount of money for our beautiful jeeps, the extra $1k for protection (parts + labor) and peace of mind should be worth every penny of it..
Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

for the record, you never got that from me. i personally think all the rhetoric is silly and meaningless. i'd prefer to get you off the computer and push your dana 30 as hard as you're willing with a set of 37's and try your best to keep it from breaking.

but, unlike the mythbusters who ACTUALLY PUT THEIR MYTHS TO THE TEST, go out and obtain facts first hand, examine the evidence they collect and let the chips fall where they may, all you seem to be interested in is hearing what everyone else has to say and then judging for yourself what you like hearing and what you don't. funny thing is, that's what a "myth" is - something that someone said happend.

Trust me, I know who has been respectful and thought-provoking. You've been great about sticking to the facts. And dude, I don't need to put the 37s on to get you to break my sh*t. I've seen the carnage you posted, you could do it on my 32's. The reason im sitting back and examining peoples experiences is because on my budget im not looking to be a pioneer. If I see its a losing proposition, im not doing it. You and me both know that in theory you could probably get away with it as long as we are mindful of the limitations.....the limitations is what I am looking for.

Last edited by yrubuggin; 06-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's where my frustration lies at this point, and why it is so hard for me to keep things on point... Guys like NWBRONCO and others early on in this thread where gracious enough to show what they do (via videos and pictures-- "evidence") with this setup. After that, I have been waiting for the guy with a 37s and a D30 (not a D44 or a D60 or a Pr44) that had issues, to do the same (like you said, there should be a few pictures out there. Most guys would be wearing it like a badge of pride). Im thankful to guys like WOL and DYNATRAC and others for chiming in (I have learned a lot in less than 2 days).
This is a community forum. Everyone has a point of view and an opinion to express that may or may not be part of what you personally want to hear or exactly on the topic you intended. In a way the thread belongs to all of us not just you. It's a free country as they say. Trying to keep the thread on topic will be a bit like herding cats.

Quick Reply: 37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know...