Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable arms needed?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable arms needed?

If i am going to install a 2.5" teraflex lift w/ 33" tires on 18's would it be a wise idea to go ahead and install all adjustable upper and lower arms and also adj. track bars? I feel like if i did this then all geometry and such could be corrected and i'd have no problems. Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
JK Newbie

not an expert but i would say no just extra cash for a little bit of improvement were as lift and tires go much further(and body armor)
Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

I was reading somewhere tonight that with a 3-4 inch lift you need adjustable arms.. Not sure about a 2.5 inch lift..

I found a kit for the JK with adjustable "track bar" for $575:

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71606

This is what they say about that track bar and the other steering fixers they include:

As the JK is raised, track bar angle increases and when lift height exceeds 2" bar length becomes an issue. Bar bind causes the chassis and axle to continuously "tug" against each other resulting in uneven ride height (side-to-side), chassis / frame misalignment and "roll and yaw". Front correction is accomplished via a new adjustable track bar. This route is preferred, as opposed to using a relocation bracket, since the bar's arc-of-travel must remain in-sync with the drag link's arc-of-travel or steering wheel "kick" will result. A relocation bracket is used on the rear axle since there are no steering geometry issues.

The stock JK has no provisions for front caster angle realignment, which is required at this lift height, so Superlift provides new alignment cams. Compression travel is controlled via new Urethane stops while new shocks (3 different levels of performance and price offered) improve control and restore full extension travel. The lift system also includes longer sway bar links with factory style, greasable tie-rod type upper ends, front / rear brake hose relocation brackets and emergency brake cable brackets... nothing is left unattended.

I'm assuming you would need a shop to install something like that.. as aligning all those different measurements has got to be very tricky and require expensive tools to make sure you did it properly.

-Brandon
Old 02-09-2007, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the money for the adjustable arms, why not just spring for a complete kit? The 2.5" budget boost is jus that: a lift kit for those on a budget.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Check Quadratec they show arms in there for JK's.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm gettin a better idea as to what i want and need to do. Sounds like with just a 2" or 2.5" lift i will need only rear upper arms to adjust the pinion angle... and front and rear adj. track bars (front one to adj. the castor) I'm now still deciding whether to go 2.5" teraflex or 2" skyjacker which is new coils. Decisions decisions I'm in no hurry though...i just want to get everything right the first time and be done with it!

OBXJK
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

no matter what lift you get, I would suggest a SkyJacker steering stabilizer. They are only 36 bucks from Quadratec and I have a 2.5" Teraflex bb with 33"s and my front end was all over the place even after alignment, but I put on the steering stabilizer today and I can tell a huge difference. Plus I have to turn off my ESP to keep from pulling me side to side, but that could be b/c my tires are a little out of balance I think. Hope that helps some. but I would say for a 2" or 2.5" lift, no extra parts besides the steering stabilizer are needed.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OBXJK
If i am going to install a 2.5" teraflex lift w/ 33" tires on 18's would it be a wise idea to go ahead and install all adjustable upper and lower arms and also adj. track bars? I feel like if i did this then all geometry and such could be corrected and i'd have no problems. Any thoughts?
Get the front adj track bar. You will want front adjustable control arms to adj the caster. You wont enjoy the ride until you do. If you want to do it right and can afford it, you will be happier with all the arms, but at least the front for the caster adjustment. The rear ones will help you move the axle back to where it was and adj for pinion angle.

Quick Reply: Adjustable arms needed?