Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts - Page 5 - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices

Adjustable Control Arms Jam Nuts

Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Here is a little Video on how to properly tighten a Jam Nut

https://youtu.be/gvkSpsvVkPA
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint.

I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
RockKrawler Representative

Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint.

I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Correct it was just a how to video, but yes this is how we do it in our shop and we have no problems!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I watched that RK video previously. Getting 200ft.lbs of torque on that jam nut using one hand on the wrench while holding a bar through the joint with the other for counter torque didn't seem like a good method to me unless you had forearms like Popeye. Not to mention it seemes like you would be applying unnecessary stress on that flex joint. I can tell watching that video and using my finely calibrated elbow grease torque gage eye, that didn't look anywhere close to 200ft.lbs of torque.
Thats why i made the spacers pictured. Its a tiny area your grabbing onto. Slipped the vice a couple tines marring the joint edge.