Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5 vs. Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilstein shocks

Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the shock issue I didn't want to pull off all the stuff in the way. So I used a dremel tool to put a nice groove so I could get at it thru the bottom side. Worked like a charm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pentagon
I just bought a 2013 Moab and was thinking of the AEV 2.5 lift too. What size tires? I was thinking of 33 inch. My 2009 Jeep I had a 4 inch lift with 35. Look great but did not like the way it handle.
I am using Goodyear Duratracs 315/70/17 which measures at arond 34.4". It was the perfect size for what i was looking for. I could go larger if i wanted to in the future. My main reason for Duratracs was its all season ratings and they were the lightest i found.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by danh63
On the shock issue I didn't want to pull off all the stuff in the way. So I used a dremel tool to put a nice groove so I could get at it thru the bottom side. Worked like a charm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Just to clarify my feelings on this: If a part if manufactured to fit a particular vehicle, which the Bilstein shocks are (they aren't some generic part, that is), why should we be hacking up our Jeeps to make the part work? Or, at a higher level, are these shocks so great, so better than other shocks that are properly designed to fit, that it's worth cutting up our vehicles to make them work, and relieving the engineers from actually doing some engineering? You buy these shocks, you support sloppy design.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Just to clarify my feelings on this: If a part if manufactured to fit a particular vehicle, which the Bilstein shocks are (they aren't some generic part, that is), why should we be hacking up our Jeeps to make the part work? Or, at a higher level, are these shocks so great, so better than other shocks that are properly designed to fit, that it's worth cutting up our vehicles to make them work, and relieving the engineers from actually doing some engineering? You buy these shocks, you support sloppy design.
I agree here. When you buy a part for a particular application, you really shouldn't have to modify it to make it work.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mbogan
I am using Goodyear Duratracs 315/70/17 which measures at arond 34.4". It was the perfect size for what i was looking for. I could go larger if i wanted to in the future. My main reason for Duratracs was its all season ratings and they were the lightest i found.
What size lift do you have and are the tire noise. My 2009 I had 35 M/T and are very noise.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Duratrac 315/70r17 are a little bit noisier than the stock rubi Bfg km and you'll notice the difference only above 60 mph but nothing to be annoyed.

Duratrac are the only tires approved for winter use in Canada bearing the severe snow rating (mountain snowflake symbol).

I will use these tires all year round and will see how long they will last.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The passenger front side sucks on any shock to install I first put Rubi take offs and now my Bilsteins with my RK lift and that plastic crap there makes it suck no matter what shock you run. I think the engineers at Chrysler need a kick to the nuts for that.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
The passenger front side sucks on any shock to install I first put Rubi take offs and now my Bilsteins with my RK lift and that plastic crap there makes it suck no matter what shock you run. I think the engineers at Chrysler need a kick to the nuts for that.
Excuse the Hijack, but it's a simple fix, no need to kick nuts...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3712152310.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	498252
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi

Attachment 498252
That's close to what I did. Sure made it easier!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripletsi

Attachment 498252
I did the same thing, it took all of a minute to do. I don't know why I am still surprised when people make a federal case out of the simplest issues.

I have the AEV 2.5 with the Bilstiens and love it. I liked it so much I took it off my 2010 when I sold it and put it on my 2013!

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5 vs. Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilstein shocks