Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5 vs. Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilstein shocks

Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dstock
I did the same thing, it took all of a minute to do. I don't know why I am still surprised when people make a federal case out of the simplest issues. I have the AEV 2.5 with the Bilstiens and love it. I liked it so much I took it off my 2010 when I sold it and put it on my 2013!
I will summarize my "federal case":

1. Sloppy engineering.
2. "1" has resulted in two cases I've witnessed where the shocks weren't properly installed, thus allowing them to come loose. In one case, it came off on the trail. The nut was lost, so we had to jury-rig it to hold it from doing further damage--day one of a three day trip into the wilderness, not some playground somewhere where help was some short crawl away.

What I don't get is why folks love these shocks over some other shocks that have been properly engineered. I've ridden/driven vehicles with them and there's nothing so outrageously good as to justify putting up with 1 and 2 above.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had them before so wasn't sure and it happened to be the last one I was putting on so it was a simple solution. A little plastic trim and that was it. So far I think they ride pretty good and better then some other shocks I have had. Might try something different when the time comes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ill agree with "sloppy engineering" but not in reference to the shocks. There is not a shock out there that would install in MY 2013 JK without first removing either all the crap above it as mentioned earlier or removing part of the plastic that CHRYSLER put there. I heated up an old putty knife with a torch and cut right through it like butter. The front passenger side is a problem no matter what shock you plan to use but every shock out there will work if installed properly.
To the OP,
I had a Teraflex 2.5 on my '08 JKU. 2 of the shocks were leaking after 10k miles. The ride was... Ok.
I have the AEV 2.5 on my '13 JKU. I do not have the drop brackets. I have lower adjustable control arms on the front instead. I drove without them for a couple weeks and was not disappointed as I was used to the way the '08 rode. Installing them did make a difference in handling. I recommend one or the other.
The Teraflex lift flexed a little better but I think part of that is that the Bilsteins that AEV sends are limiting the droop. I have lots of spring left when my shocks are fully extended. AEV wins the on road ride hands down. Not even close. Seriously, NOT even close.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I will summarize my "federal case":

1. Sloppy engineering.
2. "1" has resulted in two cases I've witnessed where the shocks weren't properly installed, thus allowing them to come loose. In one case, it came off on the trail. The nut was lost, so we had to jury-rig it to hold it from doing further damage--day one of a three day trip into the wilderness, not some playground somewhere where help was some short crawl away.

What I don't get is why folks love these shocks over some other shocks that have been properly engineered. I've ridden/driven vehicles with them and there's nothing so outrageously good as to justify putting up with 1 and 2 above.
The way the attachment point is made has nothing to do with how the shock rides. Faulty installation is just that, faulty. So you have witnessed 2 cases where people didn't take the time to install them correctly, so you fault the manufacturer, be it Jeep or Bilstien? How does that even make sense? Bad installation is just that and no one's fault but the installers.

As far as ride quality and handling expectations, we all have different needs. I really enjoy the AEV ride and handling, I can load up the JK and it still runs down the road or trail with great confidence. YMMV of course based on your driving/wheeling.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just saying this guy wants to blame Bilstein but they do that with all their shocks. I had to put up with it on my Camaro when I bought them for it. I was just saying if someone wants to talk about needing to modify to make something fit blame Chrysler for making a crappy design on the passenger side front not to say I didn't do a fix to make it easier its the point of the argument most not all engineers suck I deal with them everyday. Not to say there is some good ones but the majority suck!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh if I chose between the two I like teraflex better. I would say if you are thinking of a different lift I really like Rock Krawler their quality is second to none. And those lower control arms are beefy! you can club baby seals with those things.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like AEV, 2.5xt but did not expect the front end to sag and inch lower then the rear after adding all the stuff I did.
I added stinger bumper and warn 9.5cti, steel crusher flares all around, steel bumper and sliders. For data, running 35's
my pinch see where rubicon rail installed sit 22.5 rear and 21.5 in the front.
It does drive good, and there is def a difference once you way it down, a lot softer.

My choices are put a 1" spacer up front or go with a larger lift 3.5 or 4.5 or switch to RK.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 two door want a 2.5 lift . I live in so cal in the desert so a lot of whoops and jagged rocks, but I'm 45 min from big bear and the hammers. I like to go faster but want decent flex too. I was thinking aev 2.5. I can add arms and track bar if needed. Why does aev not flex as good or what should else I look at. Will also drive on mtn roads dirt and asphalt. I'm new to this.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well after reading everyone's views i went with the AEV with the Brackets. I cant wait for it to get here. Wish me luck! i may come to yall come install time for some more Q&A's

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5 vs. Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilstein shocks