Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Center Cap Customization

Old 12-23-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
Wow, these look awesome! What's your secret?
Patience and start with black caps. After the third set, I'm getting good at these!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harpersjk
Patience and start with black caps. After the third set, I'm getting good at these!
What are you using to apply the paint? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but unless it's spray paint, I've never messed with painting things - ever. And no, I never took Art in high school or college - lol.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

What are you using to apply the paint? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but unless it's spray paint, I've never messed with painting things - ever. And no, I never took Art in high school or college - lol.
I use dupli-color spray paint for the argent and testors model paint for the yellow and white which I apply with a fine tipped paint brush. Once completed, I finish it off with several coats of clear. Very time consuming and tedious work.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0138 (2).JPG
Views:	371
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	632770  
Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use dupli-color spray paint for the argent and testors model paint for the yellow and white which I apply with a fine tipped paint brush. Once completed, I finish it off with several coats of clear. Very time consuming and tedious work.....
Well, they look really good! I think I'd like to give it a try.
Hey, who's wheel lugs are you using? I have black Gorilla brand and they're starting to rust pretty bad.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Well, they look really good! I think I'd like to give it a try.
Hey, who's wheel lugs are you using? I have black Gorilla brand and they're starting to rust pretty bad.
Factory lug nuts and Gorilla locks.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Factory lug nuts and Gorilla locks.
That's odd....I was told since AEV uses small lug nut holes, that you'd have a problem getting a socket on the factory lug nuts. AEV has since corrected this with the new Pintlers, but yours look like the originals.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

That's odd....I was told since AEV uses small lug nut holes, that you'd have a problem getting a socket on the factory lug nuts. AEV has since corrected this with the new Pintlers, but yours look like the originals.
Yes, they are the original Pintlers. I use a thin wall socket and wrap it with blue painters tape, just got to be careful.....
Old 03-26-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving an older thread, see my custom painted AEV caps. I just couldn't stand the originals any longer...... What do you think?Attachment 632746Attachment 632748
I liked this idea, so I did a set for myself. I commend your patience... because painting these was tedious as fcuk!!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by QPDO
I liked this idea, so I did a set for myself. I commend your patience... because painting these was tedious as fcuk!!

They look great! Yes.... Very tedious, but worth it in the end!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Reviving an old thread, I went another route on the custom caps; the previous owner of these rims swapped the original yellow AEV caps for plain ol' factory Jeep ones, which I hated. I really liked the original yellow AEV logo caps, but rather than pay $10+ for a single replacement yellow cap from AEV, I decided to make my own, in red, to match the accents on my 10A Rubi.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7066.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	670631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	670632  

Quick Reply: AEV Center Cap Customization