Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV rear corners-how far to go?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV rear corners-how far to go?

Well I was expecting delivery of my AEV rear corners today. I ordered them Tuesday morning and usually it takes two days for delivery...well they didn't get shipped until yesterday (Wed) afternoon and UPS says they won't be here until Monday...So in the mean time I thought I'd throw a question out to the group.

I already have a small dent and some flaking paint that I plan to touch up when I install the corners. I read that one member who installed a set actually takes them off every so often to clean away the dirt and debris that gathers underneath the corners. This made me wonder if I should try and seal them off while installing? I was thinking about putting silicone into each hole that has to be drilled and possibly adding a bead around the edge to try and block water and debris from building.

What are your thoughts? Everyones input is welcomed but I'd really like to hear from those who've installed a set of these to see if this sounds doable.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Lot of views, no thoughts or advice?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just waiting for the finished pictures.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't worried about it. However, I'm in Arizona, so don't have to worry too much about the elements.

I think sealing up the edges would come with its own problems.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

While I don`t actually have these or any other corner guards attached to my JK, I DO have extensive experience with silicone and I don`t see how silicone could hurt anything. Its a good universal adhesive that is flexible and also expands and contracts with changes in temp. Best part is if you ever decide to change your mind, silicone comes off relatively easy with a razor blade laid flat against the paint and some adhesive remover.

Hint * If you decide to go this route with the bead around the edge of the guards.. after you attach the corner guard and squish out all the excess silicone, dip your finger in a cup of warm water before you wipe it away. Clean off your finger, and dip it again before you continue wiping. It will make your life SO much easier.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
JK Newbie

I put a thin bead around all the edges of mine except for the bottom. I left the bottom silicone free so that if water did get behind the corners it could still drain out the botom
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just make sure you use some high quality silicone for outdoor use. I would seal the entire edge, and check back on it after it dries to make sure you got all the holes.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone ever considered bedlining armoured corners? I was looking at some yesterday and thought it would be the best way to avoid paint damage and stop them from getting the rusties.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The finish on the AEV corners is pretty tough stuff.

Quick Reply: AEV rear corners-how far to go?