Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

annoying squeak

Old 11-05-2019, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
... have you consider replacing shocks and just being done with that? ...
Before doing that again, swap shocks left to right. See if problem moves. At least if it doesn't, you'll stop wondering if that is still where the problem lay.
The following users liked this post:
chez323 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're sure you fixed the shock issue and the squeak isn't coming from the shocks then honestly check if your bumpers are contacting the body of the jeep cause after a day on the trail i had squeak coming from the back of my jeep and i greased all my bushings checked everything couldn't find the problem in the end it turned out that my rear bumper was bent and making contact with the body of the jeep and because the body is connected by bushings to the chassi it can flex and was causing a squeak
chez323 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

I took the spare off and looked but saw no issues with any of the welds, bolts were all tight.. will check the bumper next and failing that will swap the rear shocks. Appreciate all the advice as this is driving me crazier than my teenagers. lol
Old 11-05-2019, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

One thing is you could have someone open the tailgate while you are under the jeep and you will find the squeak. With the tail gate open you have a lot more leverage to make the body move around which may be what it happening. I am thinking since it is repeatable you can find this with a little help from one of your teenagers.
chez323 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

I've done that numerous times with the kids, friends, neighbors........ it really seems like the shock but its new, the bushings are now new. I've tried all kids of lubricants. Rocking the Jeep back and forth and pushing down doesn't do it. Open the tailgate and lift it up and it squeaks. Being near military jets for 20 years makes it hard to hear certain frequency's, but not that damned squeak. Its like my ears are fine tuned to that exact frequency.

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
One thing is you could have someone open the tailgate while you are under the jeep and you will find the squeak. With the tail gate open you have a lot more leverage to make the body move around which may be what it happening. I am thinking since it is repeatable you can find this with a little help from one of your teenagers.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't know that I was clear, the welds are on the inside. This is a picture of where some of them are. They should be flat....but typically we don't find out until after we've experienced damage. Mine are covered with a tailgate table so I can't give you a better picture.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I know what you mean about jets! if the squeak is there when you lift on the tailgate then, as others mentioned, maybe it is just the gate itself. It seems like it must be a pretty good squeak. have you tried simply putting some lubricant in the gate hinges? It sounds like you are right in teh area and just need to get the exact spot. I am interested in hearing where this is coming from.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

sorry its been a while since I responded, been busy with sick parents and then hunting season rolled into North Western PA........ swapped shocks, still squeaks on rear right side..... checked the door every which way, had my local mechanic check it when he undercoated my Jeep........ he lubed the hell out the door...... lol kinda leaning now towards its inside somewhere....... I replaced the soft top a last fall.......... with a Smittybilt one (used existing framework)...... had no issues with it, no leaks and noise level is low...... with Christmas coming up I'll have some time off work once i get the kids gifts put together to play with it some more. Appreciate all the help.........
Old 12-23-2019, 05:13 PM
L2R
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe too late for OP but maybe help someone else at a later time.

I had a 3" lift done. The squeak seemed to come from everywhere. And could recreate the noise by pushing or bumping it in the garage.

But just as soon as I backed out the driveway, it squeaked almost constantly.

On my 2nd look under the Jeep, I saw where they removed the nuts on the emergency cables to give the cables some needed slack with the lift but left the bracket wrapped around the cables.
This left a 1/8" gap between the end of the screws and the bracket.
so every time I sat in the jeep, it was creating an interference between the bracket and screws and thus, the squeak.
Took less than a minute to unravel the bracket and squeak was gone.

Perku-t (01-01-2020)

Quick Reply: annoying squeak