Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another dw thread. please help.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkkrawler
Yea but being at 0 shouldn't cause DW.
I recommend you have toe in 1/8" combined.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bypass
With stock control arms there is no way you have enough caster for one thing.
I'd have to agree 4.2 degrees could not be met with factory control arms.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor

Watch the top 3 videos listed here: Planman's Death Wobble Video's

This is videos that Planman The Forum's Tech Advisor put together these videos to help everyone easily diagnose death wobble. If you follow these steps exactly you will find the source of your problem. If you have any questions feel free to also PM us and we will help walk you through the process.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Thanks I'll start this weekend and give up dates.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks I'll start this weekend and give up dates.
No problem. Like I said PM us if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything you think is suspect. We will be more than willing to help walk you through the process.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

And all my arms are stock. Ball joints are good. My psi is at 30. I'll bump it down tmrw. Give that a shot. And my control arm bushings are fine. Just factory.
You sound pretty sure of yourself and like you really don't want/need help. How did you check your ball joints? Are they stock? How did you check the bushings?

You can't have enough caster me with stock arms. Period. You also can't properly check the ball joints by shaking the jeep. Also even if your bushings don't look cracked up, they can cause your death wobble.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK JK
I recommend you have toe in 1/8" combined.
There is no "combined" on a solid axle vehicle. There is only one toe setting as there is only one adjustment on one drag link.

But yes it should be around 1/8- 1/16" toed IN.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is no "combined" on a solid axle vehicle. There is only one toe setting as there is only one adjustment on one drag link.

But yes it should be around 1/8- 1/16" toed IN.
When I say combined I mean both tires in 1/16" = 1/8" or so.

Of course it doesn't matter as there is the tie rod that connects them both which will only give you one result..

Last edited by JK JK; 06-04-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

You sound pretty sure of yourself and like you really don't want/need help. How did you check your ball joints? Are they stock? How did you check the bushings?

You can't have enough caster me with stock arms. Period. You also can't properly check the ball joints by shaking the jeep. Also even if your bushings don't look cracked up, they can cause your death wobble.
I took it over to my buddies garage and put it up on his rack. Everything checks out. No movement up or down in ball joints and no play in the bushings or cracks. I know I don't have enough caster. I'm working on getting arms. But we got my caster as close as possible with my cam bolts. I'm .23 out. Most I could get out of them. Didn't think about checking my pinion angle. Don't really see how that would be related in my issue but hell im to the point I'll try anything.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took it over to my buddies garage and put it up on his rack. Everything checks out. No movement up or down in ball joints and no play in the bushings or cracks. I know I don't have enough caster. I'm working on getting arms. But we got my caster as close as possible with my cam bolts. I'm .23 out. Most I could get out of them. Didn't think about checking my pinion angle. Don't really see how that would be related in my issue but hell im to the point I'll try anything.
It was a wrong choice of words on my part. I meant Caster.

(Just changed my wording to reflect what I meant to say)

Quick Reply: another dw thread. please help.