Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had experience with Zone lifts?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Zone 3" lift on my '02 TJ and have had no complaints. It rides and drives well. It is used mostly as a beach Jeep but I have done some offroading with it. I got the upgraded shocks with the kit and am running 33x12.50R15 Duratracs on American Racing AR23 wheels. I run an AEV lift on my JK. Better stuff but a lot more expensive.
The following users liked this post:
L3ftNu7 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by L3ftNu7
Thank you all for the info. I think right now, I’m going to hold off and save for a better lift. Found a nice set of steel wheels and just gonna stay with the stock tires for now. They’re almost 32. May swing for 35s when I need new tires. May just go with a leveling kit to get the stance the way I like it until I can save up $5k. That way I can get what I want and a good suspension.

Jeeps are amazing and there’s always gonna be stuff I can do.

Thanks again for all the research and knowledge!
Probably a smart plan. That's actually how I modded my JKU. I researched and planned what I wanted, and as parts needed to be replaced, then I replaced them with the modded parts and I did the work myself to save some $ and learn more about my Jeep doing the work myself.
Here's how my mod plan rolled out.
- I needed new brakes? I replaced the brakes myself with a Big Brake Kit, so when I moved to larger tires, I had brakes which were ready for them.
- I needed new shocks? That's when I got my suspension lift kit and I installed it myself.
- I needed new tires? That's when I got my larger tires and wheels. I couldn't install those by mounting and balancing myself or otherwise I would have.
- I needed a new tie-rod? That's when I got HD steering components. Installed the HD drag link and HD tie-rod myself, then took it to a shop for alignment.

When you're trying to do things on a budget, most of the time you already expect having to do maintenance....it sucks doing maintenance, but when you start looking at maintenance as moving closer to the ride you want, a step at a time, then that helps to ease the pain.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Probably a smart plan. That's actually how I modded my JKU. I researched and planned what I wanted, and as parts needed to be replaced, then I replaced them with the modded parts and I did the work myself to save some $ and learn more about my Jeep doing the work myself.
Here's how my mod plan rolled out.
- I needed new brakes? I replaced the brakes myself with a Big Brake Kit, so when I moved to larger tires, I had brakes which were ready for them.
- I needed new shocks? That's when I got my suspension lift kit and I installed it myself.
- I needed new tires? That's when I got my larger tires and wheels. I couldn't install those by mounting and balancing myself or otherwise I would have.
- I needed a new tie-rod? That's when I got HD steering components. Installed the HD drag link and HD tie-rod myself, then took it to a shop for alignment.

When you're trying to do things on a budget, most of the time you already expect having to do maintenance....it sucks doing maintenance, but when you start looking at maintenance as moving closer to the ride you want, a step at a time, then that helps to ease the pain.
That has been my approach as well. It takes longer, but that's how it goes on a budget. My Jeep moved from being my DD to my project vehicle back in February and is enjoying is time resting in the garage. Still try to drive it once a week. Have burned one and a half tanks of gas through it since February 12th haha!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow

Last edited by barongan; 07-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. It made me think about how I want to do things. I’m ordering new wheels next week. Going for 17” so I can use the stock tires for a moment. (Still lots of tread) Then leveling kit. Then new tires and lift all at once. But gonna spend for the extras. Just may take longer than I wanted. Going to have to control the “I want it now” feeling. Lol

Quick Reply: Anyone had experience with Zone lifts?