Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arb compressor mounting

Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caryt
Its called heat...worst place ever to mount a air compressor.
Agreed. Heat is the number 1 destroyer of anything elecrical. And god forbid you get a compressor without a 100% duty cycle that's already exposed to high heat... ugh! But if you're just talking lockers then I guess it's no bid deal.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also don't recommend anyone putting it under the hood, just because someone make a bracket for it doesn't mean it the best place for it.
ARB is only 100% duty cycle at room temp (72*) while other have a operating temp at or under 150*. Pre-heating the compressor to 150-200* it is working out of it's limits which wears out components prematurely. IMO... IDK why someone would spend 3-600 on a compressor then put it in the worst place possible. ARB even says it's not ideal, at least they have a good warranty.
You need to keep it cool and the inlet air needs to be cool also or at least out side of the engine compartment.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted it under the hood. I have known a few people with them under the hood and no problems.

I figure the darn thing will hardly every run.

I did not want to try and figure out how to run all that wiring from the rear of the Jeep. Plus, by ARBs advertising, it is built to put under the hood.

With that being said, if it fails, then I will have to reconsider.

Thanks all.

-John
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have now plumbed my lockers. I am so impressed with the ARB lockers. Wow, compared to the E locker that I was using, the ARBs are the best. I was in a slow, hard turn and engaged the front locker. It locked immediately. An E locker will not do that.

I am pleased to have the ARBs installed. Once I bought the SPOD adapter, it was a breeze to connect. Everything works perfectly.

Just thought I would pass that on.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
I mounted it under the hood. I have known a few people with them under the hood and no problems.

I figure the darn thing will hardly every run.

I did not want to try and figure out how to run all that wiring from the rear of the Jeep. Plus, by ARBs advertising, it is built to put under the hood.

With that being said, if it fails, then I will have to reconsider.

Thanks all.

-John
You'll be fine. You're only using it for lockers. If you ever plan to use it for airing up tires, then you'll likely have problems.

Apparently, others weren't paying attention when you said you weren't using it to air up tires but was getting the smaller one only intended for lockers

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-28-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seeing as how my arb lockers are still sitting on my workbench waiting for install...i can say that i only use my arb compressor for tires for the whole trail party sometimes, or blowing dust out of cab, running small air tools. i use the hell out of it. it has unlimited duty cycle.

one thing to note about the under hood mounting is that to access the compressor (except for actuating the locker solenoids) the hood has to be open. if it is more convenient to put it under hood, do it. the thing is a beast, made to withstand outback conditions. you can always get the air intake extenders and route to cooler location.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another good option for people that have them mounted under the hood is to relocate the intake. I used a short hose and moved my intake inside.

Quick Reply: arb compressor mounting