Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB rear locker, Rubi fornt locker, Co2 Tank, and spod. I'm lost...

Old 02-09-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB rear locker, Rubi fornt locker, Co2 Tank, and spod. I'm lost...

Hi all,

Background: I currently have an SPOD installed and had planned on running a rubi locker up front (the d44 I'm putting in has it already) and an Eaton E locker in rear. I had no questions on how to install the two when this was the plan. I also have a 15# CO2 tank (not power tank) I use to air my tires up mounted.

Today I was convinced to go with the 35 spline ARB air locker in the rear because of the stress the future 37s and current 35s will put on the locker and warranty only goes to 33s with the Eaton. I know I can run the ARB with a CO2 tank and 15# should be more than enough, but is it possible to use the spod for the ARB air locker somehow? If yes, how so?

I know very very little about air lockers so assume you're explaining this to a complete newbie, please. Thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
Hi all,

Background: I currently have an SPOD installed and had planned on running a rubi locker up front (the d44 I'm putting in has it already) and an Eaton E locker in rear. I had no questions on how to install the two when this was the plan. I also have a 15# CO2 tank (not power tank) I use to air my tires up mounted.

Today I was convinced to go with the 35 spline ARB air locker in the rear because of the stress the future 37s and current 35s will put on the locker and warranty only goes to 33s with the Eaton. I know I can run the ARB with a CO2 tank and 15# should be more than enough, but is it possible to use the spod for the ARB air locker somehow? If yes, how so?

I know very very little about air lockers so assume you're explaining this to a complete newbie, please. Thanks
I don't have an ipod so can't really say. But they do sell this: Adapter Harness for ARB compressor
Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll still need the air tank or some air source but yeah, in short you can use the sPOD to switch on/off the solenoids that allow air to get to the ARB air locker...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
DJ1
Former Member

sPOD much easier to use if you have the ARB compressor (or similar) already installed because then it's just 4 wires into the sPOD using the add-on harness controlled by 3 switches if using front/rear lockers...

rocker switch 1 for air compressor on
rocker switch 2 for front ARB locker on
rocker switch 3 for rear ARB locker on

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 7.37.23 PM.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	596182

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now you need more switches !!!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I don't have an ipod so can't really say. But they do sell this: Adapter Harness for ARB compressor
I don't see how it would work without the compressor though... Why do I always do this the hard way?

Originally Posted by DJ1
You'll still need the air tank or some air source but yeah, in short you can use the sPOD to switch on/off the solenoids that allow air to get to the ARB air locker. sPOD much easier to use if you have the ARB compressor (or similar) already installed because then it's just 4 wires into the sPOD using the add-on harness controlled by 3 switches if using front/rear lockers...

rocker switch 1 for air compressor on
rocker switch 2 for front ARB locker on
rocker switch 3 for rear ARB locker on

Attachment 596182
So there's solenoids that allow the air to activate and deactivate the locker. If I just kept a constant air supply available through my CO2 tank, in theory, I could just flip the switches to turn the lockers on and off?

Originally Posted by Stubicon
Now you need more switches !!!
No stu, I refuse to admit that nonsense! With the cost of gears, a locker and 35 count chromoly shafts, I'm tapped on funds already! (PS: Let's set up a day in late March/early April to cut some trails if it fits your schedule )
Old 02-09-2015, 07:26 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I don't see how it would work without the compressor though... Why do I always do this the hard way?

So there's solenoids that allow the air to activate and deactivate the locker. If I just kept a constant air supply available through my CO2 tank, in theory, I could just flip the switches to turn the lockers on and off?

No stu, I refuse to admit that nonsense! With the cost of gears, a locker and 35 count chromoly shafts, I'm tapped on funds already! (PS: Let's set up a day in late March/early April to cut some trails if it fits your schedule )
I guess you could just ghetto rig it and hook your CO2 tank directly to the ARB air line LOL. That way you don't need a solenoid/switch. You'll just turn the knob to the on/off position on the air tank.

If that's what you got to do in the meantime, work it!

But those of us who run the ARB OBA, then we tie the solenoids directly to the compressor itself. Then switch activation to power the solenoid via sPOD. Vlair probably has a similar setup. This is how mine is currently set up. I just need the $$ to get the ARB locker now haha

Not my pic but you can see how the solenoid is directly screwed into the OBA unit itself...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 8.24.12 PM.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	596195

Or yes..If you don't do a full ghetto-rig, then yeah you can still use sPOD to switch the solenoids.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I guess you could just ghetto rig it and hook your CO2 tank directly to the ARB air line LOL. That way you don't need a solenoid/switch. You'll just turn the knob to the on/off position on the air tank.

But yeah if you run the ARB OBA, then you tie the solenoids directly to the compressor itself. Then switch activation to power the solenoid via sPOD. Vlair probably has a similar setup.

Attachment 596195

Or yes..If you don't do a full ghetto-rig, then yeah you can still use sPOD to switch the solenoids.
I'm not sure that would be the best way to set things up. I could see getting out, turning the tank on, wheeling, getting out, and turning the tank back off becoming a struggle.

Are the solenoids built in to the compressor? Or are they separate so I could power them through the spod and switch them on and off?

I am guessing the air lines would run from the tank to the solenoids, then from the solenoids to the locker while the solenoid gets power from running to the spod as well? (Like I said I know nothing about air lockers and never bothered to learn because as an electrician, I thought the E locker was going to be easiest for me)

Edit: Just saw the picture. Are these able to be purchased separately and mounted elsewhere?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I'm not sure that would be the best way to set things up. I could see getting out, turning the tank on, wheeling, getting out, and turning the tank back off becoming a struggle.
--- Just make a recording of an air compressor going on with your Ipod. Play it on your radio so the guys behind you have no idea

Are the solenoids built in to the compressor? Or are they separate so I could power them through the spod and switch them on and off?
--- No. The solenoids that come with the ARB locker come separate from the ARB compressors and are threaded in. My ARB compressor has 2 holes that are already pre-threaded to take on a solenoid when ready to do so. I'm pretty sure all the ARB compressors are like that.

I am guessing the air lines would run from the tank to the solenoids, then from the solenoids to the locker while the solenoid gets power from running to the spod as well? (Like I said I know nothing about air lockers and never bothered to learn because as an electrician, I thought the E locker was going to be easiest for me)
--- The only thing actuating the locker itself is air or no air. There's nothing electrical going to the carrier itself. Only thing that's electrical is the activation of the solenoid which either opens (allows air to travel) or remains closed (no air travel into air line feeding to the locker).

Edit: Just saw the picture. Are these able to be purchased separately and mounted elsewhere?
Each ARB locker comes with it's own solenoid and toggle switch. Yeah, you can mount them anywhere. You can use the toggle switch that comes with it or use your existing sPOD toggle switch. Or use the ARB cover of the toggle switch they give you then swap it with one of the switch covers from an sPOD switch since the ARB cover will have a fancy logo on it that says ARB Locker on it.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-09-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
--- No. The solenoids that come with the ARB locker come separate from the ARB compressors and are threaded in. My ARB compressor has 2 holes that are already pre-threaded to take on a solenoid when ready to do so. I'm pretty sure all the ARB compressors are like that.

--- The only thing actuating the locker itself is air or no air. There's nothing electrical going to the carrier itself. Only thing that's electrical is the solenoid which either opens (allows air to travel) or remains closed (no air travel into air line feeding to the locker).

Each ARB locker comes with it's own solenoid and switch. Yeah, you can mount them anywhere.
Based on this, it should be pretty simple then. Air line from the tank (leave open while wheeling) to the solenoid (Or perhaps screwing the solenoid directly into the regulator?). Then another air line going from the solenoid to the locker. Then two wires going from the solenoid to the spod which will power it and give me the switch. If this is all correct, then I think I've got it!

Quick Reply: ARB rear locker, Rubi fornt locker, Co2 Tank, and spod. I'm lost...