Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joints and RCVs

Old 07-13-2016, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Corrected. My mistake.
All is forgiven. Mostly because you're from St. Mary's County.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
All is forgiven. Mostly because you're from St. Mary's County.
Haha!

Well while we are still on the subject, I do understand the larger sized u-joints on the later model years and how that isn't compatible with the ball joints. However, how does that larger u-joint compare to the diameter of the RCV joint? I've never seen the two side by side and the RCV ball isn't small. I would have thought they'd be pretty similar.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Haha!

Well while we are still on the subject, I do understand the larger sized u-joints on the later model years and how that isn't compatible with the ball joints. However, how does that larger u-joint compare to the diameter of the RCV joint? I've never seen the two side by side and the RCV ball isn't small. I would have thought they'd be pretty similar.
I haven't either. From what I understand, it's the forging line on the larger stub shaft. All that is required is to grind down this forging line and you're set.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old, and I don't mean to bring something old back to the top; however, I wanted to add my own personal experience. I found this thread via google search and figure others might do the same.

The Teraflex HD ball joints DO NOT work on a 2010 Rubicon D44 with RCV shafts. The RCV sits on top of the ball joint and any attempt to get the unit bearing installed smashes the boot between the lower ball joint and the CV joint and the axle can't turn.

Perhaps others have had a different experience, but I wanted to prevent someone from having the same issue I am currently having.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by firejeep508
I know this thread is old, and I don't mean to bring something old back to the top; however, I wanted to add my own personal experience. I found this thread via google search and figure others might do the same.

The Teraflex HD ball joints DO NOT work on a 2010 Rubicon D44 with RCV shafts. The RCV sits on top of the ball joint and any attempt to get the unit bearing installed smashes the boot between the lower ball joint and the CV joint and the axle can't turn.

Perhaps others have had a different experience, but I wanted to prevent someone from having the same issue I am currently having.
I'm currently installing TF HD ball joints, so I'm currently very familiar with their install instructions. In the instructions it mentions that the lower ball joint must be oriented in the opposite direction with RCV axles. Did you happen to follow the instructions and and they still didn't fit?
The following users liked this post:
drrags (02-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Ball Joints and RCVs