Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Benefits of Coil Over Suspension vs Standard Coil Spring Set Up

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of Coil Over Suspension vs Standard Coil Spring Set Up

I am trying to understand the benefits of going to a coil over system vs. a standard coil spring set up. I'm considering the EVO MFG Bolt On Coil Over set up vs. their coil spring set up or Rock Krawlers 3.5" X-Factor system. If I did the standard coil spring set up, I would run a nice King or Fox remote reservoir shock.

I am new to a Jeep and will be looking for great on-road characteristics (great ride/drive quality) and then the ability to hit the trails on the weekend. I don't know how much rock crawling I will do, I'm more looking for taking my two young's boys out on trails and just playing.

Any help on I can get on better understanding the benefits of one over the other and why you would have me go with one of those systems over the other. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdrnizd
I am trying to understand the benefits of going to a coil over system vs. a standard coil spring set up. I'm considering the EVO MFG Bolt On Coil Over set up vs. their coil spring set up or Rock Krawlers 3.5" X-Factor system. If I did the standard coil spring set up, I would run a nice King or Fox remote reservoir shock.

I am new to a Jeep and will be looking for great on-road characteristics (great ride/drive quality) and then the ability to hit the trails on the weekend. I don't know how much rock crawling I will do, I'm more looking for taking my two young's boys out on trails and just playing.

Any help on I can get on better understanding the benefits of one over the other and why you would have me go with one of those systems over the other. Thanks for the help!

Coilovers that are tuned correctly will ride better. They are usually dual or tripple rate. There are some dual rate coils out there, but i wouldnt classify them as being on the same level as coilovers. Coilovers put the shock and coil in one piece so it can be easier to install both in some applications. They will allow full flex without haveing to worry about coils falling out or becoming loose. They are also fully rebuildable. Honestly if I were to redo my rig I would have went coilover, but I rock crawl. For basic trail riding the rk would be plenty, but if there both in your price range id do coilovers.. The evo bolt on kit works with stock arms, but the rk kit is alot more complete. It should have arms,track bars and all those goodies to help adjust your vehicle after a lift. I believe the evo kit is just shock brackets and coilover, and brakelines,sway bar links.

Also check out this link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

I have the RK 3.5" kit and have had the front axle full flex one way and the rear fully flexed the opposite and have never had a coil pop out. The kit is very complete and has an amazing on street ride. I blew my teraflex 9550 shocks out and am running rough country 2.2's I had left from an old lift and it still rides as nice as stock. I have zero experience with coilovers so I can't give advice there. For the money of the RK kit and their companies top notch service I have zero complaints.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I have the RK 3.5" kit and have had the front axle full flex one way and the rear fully flexed the opposite and have never had a coil pop out. The kit is very complete and has an amazing on street ride. I blew my teraflex 9550 shocks out and am running rough country 2.2's I had left from an old lift and it still rides as nice as stock. I have zero experience with coilovers so I can't give advice there. For the money of the RK kit and their companies top notch service I have zero complaints.
I never said he would, in almost every kit you should never have a problem, unless you do a shock not included with there lift thats more travel. Its just a plus of coilovers...Coilovers are mainly used in custom rigs, or high end offroad rigs.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

I went with coil overs thinking it would be the most bitchin thing in the world. (And it is) But so far there have been many issues. First,, King sold me the shocks with the complete wrong springs ( WAY TOO STIFF),, and they wont give you the correct springs, you will have to buy them! King is also no help at all in assisting with tuning the shocks, so you need someone with that knowledge. Second, they aren't exactly street friendly,, or at least as I have them set now. I am still trying to get the set up right, when I think it should have been at least close when purchased from king.
The reason I went CO is because I was moving my axels out, so I was cutting off the spring perches anyway.
If I were you,, and not relocating suspension, I would go with a Quality dual rate spring and match it up with a King or Fox internal bypass shock. Off Road Evolution has all the info you need, and they have supposedly perfected the valving on the Bypass.
Trust me when I tell you that a quality bypass shock will be well worth the money and will blow your mind when hauling ass!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Ease of adjustment and the ability to fine tune them is their biggest benefit. There is nothing magic about a coil over and if they are not properly set up they will ride like crap.

Personally I would not run a bolt on coil over kit, if you are going to spend that much on them go custom and maximize the amount of travel you can get out of them. King does work with different shops and will swap out coils as long as they still are in like new condition. I have a local shop that will swap them out for nothing and filthy motorsports in Bolder will allow you to swap out coils as well as buying uses coils.

How you are going to use your jeep, lift height, and the unsprung corner weights will be needed by the shock manufacturer in order to valve them correctly. On road driving, rock crawling, high speed off road driving will all be valved differently so if you tell them that you want it valved for high speed dessert running don't expect them to be comfy on the road.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can strongly recommend progressive rate springs with King adjustable shocks over a coil over set up. Best of all worlds.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can get coil overs with adjustable shocks or with a bypass. Not sure what you mean by best of both worlds as you can not adjust the progressive coils.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm new to the Jeep so I can't tell you everything I will be doing in it, as I am just in the purchasing process. I just don't like spending money 2 or 3 times when I can just get the right set up the first time. That is why I asked everyones opinion because I figured most of you have been there and done that. Right now, I see my wife driving the Jeep most of the time for the next 1-2 years and then it will become a toy only and not be daily driven. She wants it fixed up some and to look better than they do stock. Most of it's time for the next year or so will be spent on road with some weekend excursions and trail driving. I don't see any high speed off road in my future because I live in Oklahoma and we don't really have that. I also have a Ford Raptor and I run into the same thing with there not being any high speed areas in Oklahoma. That's part of why I want the Jeep as well. Something that I can take my two young boys out in and do some trail riding, or take it to Colorado on some trails. We are planning a vacation to CO next summer so I would like to have some things done to it before we go. I will be running 37" tires along with the 3.5" lift and flat fenders so I know I need to look at gears as well. Those of you with this type of set up, would you be comfortable with your wife daily driving the Jeep on 37's? I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just want to try and make the most educated decision I can. Thanks again for your help and time.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
I never said he would, in almost every kit you should never have a problem, unless you do a shock not included with there lift thats more travel. Its just a plus of coilovers...Coilovers are mainly used in custom rigs, or high end offroad rigs.
Haha, Sorry I wasn't stating this towards your reply. Just giving the op my personal experience. I have been very happy with my coil/spring setup. I do hope to eventually switch to a coilover setup.

Quick Reply: Benefits of Coil Over Suspension vs Standard Coil Spring Set Up