Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bikini/Bimini/Brief top???

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bikini/Bimini/Brief top???

Who makes the best bikini top? Looking for whatever is the best value but don't mind spending a little extra for better quality.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Who makes the best bikini top? Looking for whatever is the best value but don't mind spending a little extra for better quality.
I think most people seem to like their Mopar Sun Bonnet best for the fit and finish, although probably more expensive. Bestop seems to have a decent bikini top as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good Question
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is Spider Web Shade or Dirty Dog.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the bestop bakini top. It does the job of keeping rain off you but not keeping it totally out of your jeep. Since I do not have the door surrounds for the soft top there is about a 2 inch gap between the door and the roll bar where it straps onto.

Like i said it gets the job done but doesn't seal 100%..it has however allowed me to keep my hard top off for about 80% of the summer so im pretty sure I got my money out of it already.

Hope this helped.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, it depends what you're calling a bikini top. But, if you're actually referring to a safari top (rather than one of the smaller tops that goes on in 30 seconds with just a couple straps), I have a little advice: Unless you want some open weave fabric, then you want the Mopar Sunbonnet. There are two versions, depending on whether or not you own the softtop hardware (i.e., the door rails). The Mopar Sunbonnet costs a lot more than anything else. There's a reason: No matter which version you get, it's better.

If you want any of the other ones then you don't need to buy it new: There are plenty of people who made that mistake, then decided to correct it by buying a Mopar Sunbonnet. They sell their various other brands quite cheaply in the For Sale sub-forum.

Also, you should check out this thread ...

Best Safari Top

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-15-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Mopar sun bonnet on a 2010 unlimited and love it. Nice tight fit, no flapping, water tight at the windshield and door surrounds. I had to buy the 2009 door surrounds to work with the top, but well worth the price. I have put it on and left it on all summer. Very happy with the purchase.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

I love the spider web shade!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Depends on the fabric you want. I love my mesh top. It has been on for months, with the soft top going up over it only on long road trips or when it is really raining. Blocks enough of the sun even up here at 6000' to make it comfortable, and enough of the wind the make it pleasant going 75 but still have an open air feel. Mine is a bestop mesh, and I don't see how it could really be improved - and one sale, you can get them for around $90 with a free header channel.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my spiderweb mesh top. I have the smaller version on my 2 door that just covers the front seats but they sell the version that covers front and back as well. They are a lot cheaper than the traditional tops, dont' require some crazy header, they are quiet, they are a lot smaller to store in the jeep, and you can put the soft top up with it still in place if you're caught in a sudden downpour.

Quick Reply: Best Bikini/Bimini/Brief top???