Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the years that I have been on this forum (and with my extensive automotive engineering background) as far as I'm concerned there are only two options I would even consider to supercharge my JK.

Either the Avenger (twin-screw supercharger) kit or the RIPP kit. You can google Avenger superchargers if you want info on it.

There are strengths and weaknesses of both and if I had to commit to buying a supercharger for my JK right now, I honestly would need to drive a JK with both to decide between the two.

RIPP's kit has the strength that it can be reversed very easily, installs under the stock hood with no cutting, and has excellent technical support (even though the forum) as well as a strong representation in this forum (so any problems that could come up more than likely already have been encountered by at least 1 other forum member). The downfall to the RIPP kit is that the torque is not significantly increased over stock until 2200+ RPM.

Avenger's kit has the strength that the torque comes on at extremely low RPM (after talking with the owner of Avenger he said that their kit offers 50% torque boost as low as 1200 RPM). The main down side to the Avenger kit is that you have to cut the stock hood to fit it and it is a little more invasive to install.

If you find yourself commonly hitting engine speeds over 2500 RPMs, I would honestly recommend the RIPP kit to you all things considered.

My reservations of getting a RIPP kit for my JK is that I rarely hit engine speeds over 2000 RPMs but I would also love to have more torque at my disposal at those low RPMs (hence the appeal of the Avenger kit). Thankfully though I'm still saving up for a house, so I won't obsess over it too much until I can afford to spend the money on it

Hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpm152
In the years that I have been on this forum (and with my extensive automotive engineering background) as far as I'm concerned there are only two options I would even consider to supercharge my JK.

Either the Avenger (twin-screw supercharger) kit or the RIPP kit. You can google Avenger superchargers if you want info on it.

There are strengths and weaknesses of both and if I had to commit to buying a supercharger for my JK right now, I honestly would need to drive a JK with both to decide between the two.

RIPP's kit has the strength that it can be reversed very easily, installs under the stock hood with no cutting, and has excellent technical support (even though the forum) as well as a strong representation in this forum (so any problems that could come up more than likely already have been encountered by at least 1 other forum member). The downfall to the RIPP kit is that the torque is not significantly increased over stock until 2200+ RPM.

Avenger's kit has the strength that the torque comes on at extremely low RPM (after talking with the owner of Avenger he said that their kit offers 50% torque boost as low as 1200 RPM). The main down side to the Avenger kit is that you have to cut the stock hood to fit it and it is a little more invasive to install.

If you find yourself commonly hitting engine speeds over 2500 RPMs, I would honestly recommend the RIPP kit to you all things considered.

My reservations of getting a RIPP kit for my JK is that I rarely hit engine speeds over 2000 RPMs but I would also love to have more torque at my disposal at those low RPMs (hence the appeal of the Avenger kit). Thankfully though I'm still saving up for a house, so I won't obsess over it too much until I can afford to spend the money on it

Hope this helps!

yes thank you very much for your input. I have added the Avenger Super charger to the list on post 1. it would be nice to here from others with superchargers, all 4 or more if there is. I understand that many have purchased the ripp unit, and are happy with it. But if i can find better for yet cheeper.... cool. My 2 major concerns with the ripp is A. it seems to be at least $1000 over priced when compared with the others,and B. The higher RPM it comes in at.... and for the avenger its the hood cut,,,, but a scoop would look kind of cool:-)

more input anyone..... and yes, i am sure ripp is following the thread, this being said, i welcome your input, AS LONGE AS its not advertising mombo... like 4 billion big macs sold.... just want the facts, thank you.

TPM152.... nice write, thx
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

I've got an Avenger on my 07. I have 8 pounds of boost with almost 50% more horsepower. It took awhile to get it right but now that its "done" it runs beautifully. I am now passing the 18 wheelers going up the mountain instead of them passing me. I also had to cut a hole ( My wife actually did it. She didn't trust me!!!!) in the hood but with the full size scoop it get alot of attention driving down the road. People often ask is that for show or something else. So i just pop the hood. Along with the charger I have an on board air system that uses a york compressor. Questions??????

Last edited by Dirty Dog; 01-18-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Where are you getting your price for the Ripp? You stated in you first post the 505 performance was $4500. The Ripp can be had for $4799. There are a couple places selling it for that price. Just want you to make you aware the spread is not a $1000.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have personally owned a twin turbo car, 4 supercharged cars, and 3 cars with nitrous. I have experimented with all types of forced inductions. For the Jeep, really the Avenger set up is the superior leader. It develops the most amount of low end torque and really that is all that matters.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
I've got an Avenger on my 07. I have 8 pounds of boost with almost 50% more horsepower. It took awhile to get it right but now that its "done" it runs beautifully. I am now passing the 18 wheelers going up the mountain instead of them passing me. I also had to cut a hole ( My wife actually did it. She didn't trust me!!!!) in the hood but with the full size scoop it get alot of attention driving down the road. People often ask is that for show or something else. So i just pop the hood. Along with the charger I have an on board air system that uses a york compressor. Questions??????
questions????...YES!...lol.... pictures please... when does your boost come in? did you run a dyno? Cost$$? intercooler?

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
Where are you getting your price for the Ripp? You stated in you first post the 505 performance was $4500. The Ripp can be had for $4799. There are a couple places selling it for that price. Just want you to make you aware the spread is not a $1000.
the price is including the intercooler...there's is your $1000....

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I have personally owned a twin turbo car, 4 supercharged cars, and 3 cars with nitrous. I have experimented with all types of forced inductions. For the Jeep, really the Avenger set up is the superior leader. It develops the most amount of low end torque and really that is all that matters.
very good personal info.... thank you, this is worth a 1000 advertisements.... do you know cost? intercooler?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pauldana

very good personal info.... thank you, this is worth a 1000 advertisements.... do you know cost? intercooler?
The Avenger kit runs 4300 and includes the only kit with a water to air intercooler. Really I would never consider ever installing anything but a roots style supercharger (other than hemi swap of course).
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pauldana
the price is including the intercooler...there's is your $1000....
The $4799 I quoted does include the intercooler. Just so we are clear. The Avenger as apposed to 505 Performance has a large amount of info on their site. Looks like a good system if you don't mind cutting on your hood.

Thought about this as I drove into work and have a question. Bare with me because I'm trying to learn too. Obviously I have a Ripp SC and I am very satisfied with it.

Thinking about statments made earlier and have went to Avengers website and I have a couple questions for those of you that wrote that really know this subject.

The Avenger SC states that you start seeing 50% boost at 1200rpms but then it looks like the horse power and torque peak and almost flat line throughout the entire rpm range. Did I view the dyno on their site wrong. Unfortunately thier dyno charge starts at 3500rpm so you can't see it starting in the 1200s. The max hp being 164rwh.

The Ripp SC starts coming in around 1300rpms with 180lbs of torque. At around 2000rpm we are already into the 160rwh area and climb to 240-260rwh as we climb to 4300rpm.

I know the statement was made earlier about running at 2000rpms. I can only speak for my JK but I am hovering at 2K all the time. I would say a large majority of guys are runnning either 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35s. Just cruizing 40mph in the city I'm at 1900rpm. As soon as I hit the pedal I can already feel my JK pulling hard and yes I take her up to 5000rpms racing around town from stop light to stop light. I enjoy getting on her now. So I really like the fact I have that 240-260rwh.

Trying to learn so maybe someone can point out what I'm missing.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 01-19-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
The $4799 I quoted does include the intercooler. Just so we are clear. The Avenger as apposed to 505 Performance has a large amount of info on their site. Looks like a good system if you don't mind cutting on your hood.

Thought about this as I drove into work and have a question. Bare with me because I'm trying to learn too. Obviously I have a Ripp SC and I am very satisfied with it.

Thinking about statments made earlier and have went to Avengers website and I have a couple questions for those of you that wrote that really know this subject.

The Avenger SC states that you start seeing 50% boost at 1200rpms but then it looks like the horse power and torque peak and almost flat line throughout the entire rpm range. Did I view the dyno on their site wrong. Unfortunately thier dyno charge starts at 3500rpm so you can't see it starting in the 1200s. The max hp being 164rwh.

The Ripp SC starts coming in around 1300rpms with 180lbs of torque. At around 2000rpm we are already into the 160rwh area and climb to 240-260rwh as we climb to 4300rpm.

I know the statement was made earlier about running at 2000rpms. I can only speak for my JK but I am hovering at 2K all the time. I would say a large majority of guys are runnning either 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35s. Just cruizing 40mph in the city I'm at 1900rpm. As soon as I hit the pedal I can already feel my JK pulling hard and yes I take her up to 5000rpms racing around town from stop light to stop light. I enjoy getting on her now. So I really like the fact I have that 240-260rwh.

Trying to learn so maybe someone can point out what I'm missing.
First, HP doesnt mean shit. Really it is just a pretty number people like to throw around. Torque is all that really matters. There is a big difference in the way the Avenger and Ripp develop their power.

Both Ripp and 505 use centrifugal superchargers that develop boost by imparting motion into the air. When the air meets a resistance to this motion, the slowing of the air turns the kinetic energy into pressure energy. For that reason, the boost and airflow through a turbine supercharger are very much interdependent on the characteristics of the engine it is feeding. But there is a downside: its speed sensitivity. As the turbine spins, the boost goes up with the square of the rpm. This means at low speed minimal boost, and at high speed possibly too much boost. So this style develops almost no power low end but quite a bit in the high RPM range. This is the ideal choice for high speed cars (I have had a Vortech blower and Procharger on past cars). But this is almost pointless for Jeeps.

The Avenger is a roots style supercharger, also known as a positive displacement supercharger. Really nothing more than an air pump driven directly from the crank, injecting air it has NOT compressed. It delivers linearly increasing boost as rpm increases. The big difference is that positive displacement superchargers pump a fixed amount of air for every revolution of the internal lobes. This means they are developing power even when a vehical is at idle. Positive displacement blowers are the ideal choice for low end torque. But they are very limited in the high end, which is why alot of high performance cars do not like this style.

Also almost all car companies use roots style blowers as a factory blower. Becasuse more power developed lower in the band causes less strain on the engine. So a motor will have a much longer life with the Avenger kit vs the Ripp kit. Also there is no risk of boost creep, that can easily destroy an engine.

Ideally the best for the JK would be a twin screw supercharger. They will develop full boost by 2000 RPM and maintian it constant through the whole RPM range. But they are more expensive and no companies have released any yet. I did have a twin screw blower on one of my cars and can attest to how amazing they are.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 01-19-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Hey Dirty Dog, one thing that I have been really curious to ask someone with an Avenger set-up that is dialed in, is what is your approximate before and after MPG? I just ask because I would love to get the Avenger set-up in the future, but with my JK being a DD, if my MPG takes a 2 - 3 mpg hit, I don't know if it would be worth it (especially considering you generally need to run premium with superchargers to avoid knock).

From what I have read the RIPP kit's mpg change really depends on the set-up and the way you drive it. If you really use the new-found power, you lose a few mpg, but if geared properly and driven conservatively it seems like its possible to gain a few mpg by not needing to downshift as often.

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????