Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
1. Pretty much anything you ever do will void your warranty. Even getting MOPAR equipment installed by the dealer can void it. It really all depends on the dealer you go to and how modification friendly they are. I have built 12 high hp cars and it has always been a crapshoot with the dealers on which ones will help me and which ones will not. But thankfully most kits can be uninstalled in about 6 hours if you need to take it back to stock and take it to the dealer.

Both RIPP and Avenger both have 1 year limited warranties.

2. Really for a Jeep a roots style blower is definatly the best choice. I would only ever install a RIPP if it will be a pavement princess. They will help you very little off road.

Has Sprintex ever released the JK supercharger? I know they had a prototype at SEMA but I havent heard of a full release. The Sprintex uses a twin screw, so you will have 100% boost by 2000 RPM.
3. The Sprintex would be by far the best blower for a JK. It will be the best low end torque, the easiest install, the safest for a stock engine, and the cheapest. (Sprintex said at SEMA their kit will cost under 4k). But I have no idea when they will ever come out. Also Sprintex claims their new JK kit can be installed by one person in about 4 hours.

The Avenger would be my second choice. It is also slightly cheaper than Ripp. And Ripp would be my last choice. I really feel you are paying more for the name than the blower.
1. thats what i thought.... off comes the blower for svc.....
2. i agree totally
3. yup.... unless i see or read something to the contrary.... looks as if it is going to be the Sprintex for me....

Here is a picture of the Sprintex. It is a very compact easy install and does not require cutting the hood like the Avenger (though I love the look of it). But I have not ever heard of a release date for it.

Nice!!!!! CLEAN!!!!!!! well done!!!!! yea... thats the one for me i think....ripps got some heavy competition...

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I read somewhere that the company is from Australia and because the emission standards are different down there the flash won't work on jeeps made for the USA . They mentioned being told that they are workin on it and should be ready for sales in the USA this spring. That was a post from someone who saw it at SEMA and spoke with the Reps.
spring/summer is when i want to get it and install it... time frame is perfect.... i am going to call them and place my advanced order i think...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've worked in the aftermarket industry and for a company like RIPP to be as open with their dyno results as they are is pretty impressive. Not a lot of companies will do that. I like how straight forward they are! I should put my money where my mouth is right?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bucko
I've worked in the aftermarket industry and for a company like RIPP to be as open with their dyno results as they are is pretty impressive. Not a lot of companies will do that. I like how straight forward they are! I should put my money where my mouth is right?
I agree, and believe the ripp to be a good product....

But, that being said.... A roots type blower is better for lower rpm's it seems

The Sprintex is a roots style blower... and also seems to be $1000 cheeper....

so... unless someone has a reason the ripp is better... it will be the Sprintex I will order...

Hey... may be the first on the forum to have one!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is all about advertisement. Ripp is bigger and advertises more...also having a presense on the forums helps quite a bit too. Avenger has been in the game awhile though and claim to have sold over 100 kits. So they are out there. Most of the crazy rock crawlers dont bother with FI at all and go straight to HEMI swaps.

Installing a roots blower is very simple. I installed a roots blower myself on my G35 and it took me about 6 hrs with just basic tools in my driveway. They actually have their install instructions online too. http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/...ns_F_email.pdf But it would be an easier install than you already did with the Ripp.
Thank you for bringing your points to the table, we enjoy seeing members discuss our product verse competitors... but please let us interject here a second... regarding your argument from a power and application perspective and finally marketing. We'd like you to first keep in mind RIPP has been in the automotive performance industry for 20years and we extensive knowledge of most, if not all forced induction compressors. We chose to go Centrifugal and specifically Vortech based on our experiences thereof... We base our choice on quality (Made in the USA), reliability and finally performance and not price, others may be cheaper but we air on the side of quality. Keep in mind that Jeepers are not like "regular" tuner types - Jeepers drive 2000 miles from home to go 100miles into the middle of nowhere for fun. Most other aftermarket FI groups hang around the city and the track ,i.e. close to towing.

1000+ KITS LATER... and a world-wide dealer base... we'd like to point out the following;
  • First of all we smash - SMASH - the Avenger supercharger with power HP and Trq... the Averger's Peak trq is still lower than ours no matter where is the RPM band you visit it. Please see video below.
  • The roots uses 35crank Hp to deliver 60rear wheel HP whereas our Vortech only needs 7 crank to produce 100+ rear wheel...
  • With the roots you have to cut the hood and the firewall, install supplemental pumps and finally your air temp sensor is set up before the boost happens so its not factored into the equation at all.
  • Our clients have a multitude of videos and experiences showing the install is actually way easier than thye originally thought and we have a full staff on hand to help you should you get stuck.
  • Good luck with tuning and tech support.

RIPP Video of a 2008 Auto JK on 37's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 Avenger Video of a 2008 on 32's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqbKGtTwxo Avenger not showing HP - but later ending up at 143 Peak hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd__ec1XOH4 Then THIS CLIENT REMOVED THE Avenger and installed the RIPP kit, which we did at Easter Jeep Safari during the show... and he wheeled it after we were done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0560.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	267396

This thing made over 20 more hp than the Avenger did on this Jeep.
Avenger dyno runs had 41x13.5" Radial Iroks at 40psi and D44.
Ripp dyno runs are with 42x15" Bias Ply Rockers at 40psi and 1-ton axles.

Same dyno, same elevation, same gear ratio, same tuner.

Avenger with 41x13.5 of D44's

Name:	IMAG0135-1.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	267390

RIPP with 42x15 on 1Ton Axles - still producing more HP and Trq right from the bottom...

Name:	IMAG0136-1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	267397

Secondly, we do not advertise anywhere - Our clients do it for us - We are on forums to help support our clients and bring to market new ideas. So its true we are here, and we have proven to take good or bad to make our products better. (Shame on them). We'd also like to point out that Avenger was first to market with their kit while we took our time and streamlined ours...Eventually setting the bar and expectations, which we take seriously. Not one client has ever been just a number for us and many will tell you that we never leave their side even years or miles down the line, so do not mix us up with large companies pawning stuff on the internet... because we're not! Lastly and to your point - Even if they don't "advertise" as much as we "do", we assume some of their "clients" might own a "PC" and go on the thing they call the "internet" and possibly brag to people about it (have you seen the dozens of videos people have made about how happy they are with their Avenger kits?) - no??? - Maybe, just maybe our (Made in the USA kit) just delivers on its promises and comes through with total transparency as advertised and clients totally recommend it whole heartily? So when your making a $5000.00+ on a power adder, it'll be your call and we'll have no choice but to respect it either way - but we want you to know we welcome the opportunity to further prove our kits viability.

Laslty - the (NOT MADE IN USA) Sprintex uses a small (very small) compressor, which still needs a lot of crank HP and will not deliver anywhere near our program power - They are using off the shelf piggy backs on all their kits which as we've proven will be less powerful over all - AND - Like the Hemi guys we will welcome that dyno challenge as soon as its available Putting aside the fact that we outsell them in their own country... (just saying)

RIPPTECH
on behalf of the entire staff...

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-20-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad you see you came in and value your input alot. I actually love centrifugal chargers. My first first build was with a roots style and ended up also replacing it with a vortech setup. Since then I have installed 4 other centrifugal blowers and 4 turbos on all my cars. But it was obvious during my swap, of the loss of my low end torque. My Jeep is the only time I have ever considered going back to a roots/twin screw blower.

Centrifugal will always produce more hp/tq due to less parasitic losses, but it is all a matter of where. Install is much easier now with the V3 blowers that dont require an oil tap. Like I said before I strongly belive RIPP would be the best choice for a Jeep maily driven on asphalt at higher RPM. Even in your own dyno, it is clear the Avenger is producing more hp/tq in the low end of the bands. Eventhough you dyno only starts at 3200 rpm, the difference would be even grater around 2000 rpm. Really offroading (unless it is mudding) most people are not going above 4000 rpm. I have never seen a dyno from Sprintex but twin screw blowers are much more efficient than a roots blower and start developing power much earlier on. The divide between a twin screw and centrifugal is even bigger.

Also while you are correct a roots style blower has an volumetric efficiency of about 30-40%, you were slightly generous on the vortech blower. Typically a V3 vortech si trim has volumetric efficiency of about 65-72%. A twin screw has always been the most efficent blowers possible with volumetric efficiency of about 70-85%.

This has been a long standing debate with the Mustang guys. There is a huge divide between the vortech blowers and wipple (twin screw) blowers. The results there are more clear. As you can see Vortech makes alot more power up top and Wipple dominates down low.

Twin Screw

Vortech

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 01-20-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Here's a thought;

Other than RIPP, does anyone else make a supercharger for the 2011 JK?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B 1000
Here's a thought;

Other than RIPP, does anyone else make a supercharger for the 2011 JK?
Thats what i am thinking...

I know Vortech and they are tried and true. I would trust my engine to them.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bucko
Thats what i am thinking...

I know Vortech and they are tried and true. I would trust my engine to them.

Right? I don't see anything on Avenger or 505 about a kit for 2011. And the Sprintex site doesn't even the Jeep JK at all. So at this point, my money will go to RIPP for my 2011. But since that may be a few months out, looks like I have to keep my eye on Sprintex.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep your eye that is closed towards Sprintex

Don't waste your time or money, they don't have any for the JK. Go drive a Ripps Charged jeep. Come up to Oregon, I'll let you drive mine.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAFHR
Keep your eye that is closed towards Sprintex

Don't waste your time or money, they don't have any for the JK. Go drive a Ripps Charged jeep. Come up to Oregon, I'll let you drive mine.
I have no idea what that first sentace even means.

But...

Quick Reply: Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????